Vidalia Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Hubby bought a 4 lb box of Vidalia Onions on sale. I do enjoy these onions and ISO recipes for it. I did some googling and came up with a few recipes but thought you might have some recipes to share as well.

LadyCook

Onion jam, great on steaks or burgers or sandwiches. I've used different types of onions, depending on what I have on hand. This was from a chef friend here in Toronto.

Saute sliced onions in butter until lightly caramelized and softened. Add red wine, red wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Cook down slowly until the onions have started to break down and the liquid has turned syrupy and almost evaporated.

Onion jam, great on steaks or burgers or sandwiches. I've used different types of onions, depending on what I have on hand. This was from a chef friend here in Toronto.

Saute sliced onions in butter until lightly caramelized and softened. Add red wine, red wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Cook down slowly until the onions have started to break down and the liquid has turned syrupy and almost evaporated.
sounds good, thanks for sharing.

Slice them in thick slices, brush with olive oil, and grill right alongside your burgers--or chicken, or steak. I like them just charred a little, and still crunchy.

They are also super in stir fries, just cooked enough to soften a little, or raw in sandwiches or salads.

Slice them in thick slices, brush with olive oil, and grill right alongside your burgers--or chicken, or steak. I like them just charred a little, and still crunchy.

They are also super in stir fries, just cooked enough to soften a little, or raw in sandwiches or salads.
sounds delicious , thanks for the ideas.

We bake them. Here's how.

Peel onions and leave whole. Using a spoon or a melonballer, scoop out a "well" in the root end. Using one onion per person, place the onions into a shallow baking dish, "well" side up. Pour in enough water to 1/4 inch deep in dish. Put one beef bouillon cube in each "well," along with a small slice of butter. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

These are sooooo good and literally disappear before your eyes. We're addicted to them. They're great with roast beef, pork or chicken.

Peel onions and leave whole. Using a spoon or a melonballer, scoop out a "well" in the root end. Using one onion per person, place the onions into a shallow baking dish, "well" side up. Pour in enough water to 1/4 inch deep in dish. Put one beef bouillon cube in each "well," along with a small slice of butter. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

These are sooooo good and literally disappear before your eyes. We're addicted to them. They're great with roast beef, pork or chicken.
Thanks for sharing ! I will make these soon.

LadyCook

This is exactly what Ido but I use chicken broth instead of beef. Never thought about using beef broth but you're right they are delicious.

Katie , I just had one and it is delicous!! :D

Those sound great with the bouillon cubes :)
I've baked onions before and left the skin on after cutting the root end off. The skin carmalizes and the onion squeezes right out.

Do you brown the ground beef first and cook the rice first before stuffing?
Yes, I do.

Sparrowgrass, I did these on the weekend to go with grilled steak, and they were great! Thanks!

I bought a bunch recently and made Gyuudon (Japanese dish) :rolleyes:

1-2 large onions, sliced
1 lb. beef thin sliced
butter/oil as needed

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup water/beef stock
2 Tbsp. Sugar

cooked sticky rice

In a pan, saute the onions in butter until soft (or use more and caramelize them :D )
Add the beef and sear for a minute
Add the soy, mirin, stock, and sugar. Mix prior so the sugar dissolves.
Simmer 5-10 minutes or until the beef and onions are fully cooked.

Serve on top of rice :D

Back
Top Bottom