What are your 3 favorite veggies and favorite ways to do them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's see. I love sweet red bell peppers-raw or grilled, green beans cooked many ways but are best with bacon, and asparagus steamed. Oh, can I have just one more??? I love broccoli too! Steamed is great!

I'm replying just because I want to play along with the topic.

Onions (brown or red, sliced), green onions, bell peppers (sliced), zucchini (sliced), mushrooms, and (not vegetables) sliced pineapple and/or sliced mangos, all of them grilled on the barbecue, preferably all of them at the same time. Either just naked or tossed in a butter and/or olive oil marinade. Or any kind of herb marinade.

I don't see how you could fail when you're grilling something to not toss a whole bunch of vegetables and/or fruit on the grill at the same time and cook them too. And even better, all of those veggies and fruits are good for you!

Last edited:
Glad we're not getting into the "is it a fruit or vegetable" thing, because #1 for me is tomatoes, especially in the summer. After that, it's hard to make a choice. Broccoli and potatoes and corn and .... well, guess I can't narrow the rest of the field down much. Doesn't help that Mom taught me to consider starches in a separate category even if they are veggies -- so potatoes, corn, peas, beets, carrots kind of get a separate category. Sure helped my mental abilities when husband was diagnosed as diabetic.

Greg, thanks for the reminder of something I'm always putting out. Put those vegs on the grill, and grilled pineapple is to die for!

Craig, I too have a really hard time naming a favorite anything, be it a food, an author, a person. Too much to like!

There is no other vegetable than tomatoes that show so obviously how home grown vegetables are so much better than store bought ones. Home grown tomatoes are so astonishingly better that anybody could tell without a doubt, instantaneously.

There is no other vegetable than tomatoes that show so obviously how home grown vegetables are so much better than store bought ones. Home grown tomatoes are so astonishingly better that anybody could tell without a doubt, instantaneously.

Yeah, sometimes in mid summer my husband gets anxious and wants a home grown tomato. I have to tell him every year, if he doesn't wait until it is red, then you might as well buy them at the grocery store! I have to keep his greedy little hands off of my tomatoes until they're ready!

Yeah, sometimes in mid summer my husband gets anxious and wants a home grown tomato. I have to tell him every year, if he doesn't wait until it is red, then you might as well buy them at the grocery store! I have to keep his greedy little hands off of my tomatoes until they're ready!

That brought to mind a cute mental picture. I was all ready to get mad and spritz the little bugger. It was a squirrel, holding one of my green cherry tomatoes in her little hands, and gnawing on it. Then I decided that if that squirrel could get that much enjoyment out of a green tomato, I could let him eat it in peace.

Favorite veggie? It's the one I'm eating now, whichever that is. I love them all except for rutabaga. I do try to choose and prepare veggies in their season, so there are many I love that I am not eating now. Like asparagus. That season doesn't come around until late spring. :yum:

i planted some asparagus crowns in the back of my garden a numbers of years ago, but sadly they were destroyed when my garden's retaining wall fell over.

before that, the truest sign that it was spring was when the asparagus spears would begin to break the surface of the soil, usually around easter time.

all i can say is that i couldn't wait to harvest those little suckers. much like snap peas, tomatoes, and corn in their seasons, half or more of the asparagus didn't make it into the house. like the aforementioned veggies, there was something so special about eating them the second you picked and rinsed them. that asparagus flavour was to the extreme, almost floral in a way.

the rest that did make it inside was quickly blanched and eaten straight away as well, with maybe a dab of butter and some sea salt.

Last edited:
@ Buckytom: My 3 Fave Veggies

Due to my Mediterranean location, aubergine ( eggplant) preferably oven roasted or Parmighiana or layered in Lasagna ...

The 2nd would be fennel ... in salads, cream soup or in risotto and the the 3rd if we are considering that the tomato is not a fruit; then, in Bolognese or sundried or plum ripe red juicy in a salad or Romesco coulis with fish and a touch of cayenne chili pepper ... The last but not least, chili pepper in any form ...

Margi.

Grilled eggplant that has been marinated a little after a long stay on the the grill.

Have you got a recipe for that marinade? I recently bought some grilled vegis at the deli counter of a Greek grocery store. They were fabulous. Now I want to make it myself.

I never measure it but I will guestimate.

5 tbsp Red wine vinegar
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
splash of wine (okay to open a bottle)
1/2 tsp chopped rosemary
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 clove minced garlic
1 small bulb minced shallot
1/2 tsp prepared mustard
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
salt and pepper

I have also used dried rosemary,thyme and garlic powder when I don't have fresh.

Okra and zucchini are two that I DON'T like. Also don't like veggies that are bitter to begin with.

I have yet to figure out why someone would work all week, collect their paycheck and then go out and spend it on bitter or sour food. Why? :rolleyes:

Okra and zucchini are two that I DON'T like. Also don't like veggies that are bitter to begin with.

I have yet to figure out why someone would work all week, collect their paycheck and then go out and spend it on bitter or sour food. Why? :rolleyes:

I certainly agree with you about bitter food. Yuck!

I'm not a big fan of zucchini, but earlier this week I bought some roasted vegis at the local Greek supermarket's deli. There was zucchini and it was good! Surprise, surprise. :LOL:

I'm going to julienne some zucchini, red bell peppers and onions, then lightly sauté them with some wasabi ginger sauce, serve in a warmed flour tortilla with cooked cod chunks. Asian Burritos!

I certainly agree with you about bitter food. Yuck!

I'm not a big fan of zucchini, but earlier this week I bought some roasted vegis at the local Greek supermarket's deli. There was zucchini and it was good! Surprise, surprise. :LOL:

My first husband liked zucchini. So I would peel it, slice and batter it, then fry. I could eat it that way. I think it is the peel that I don't like. Just like cucumbers. Peel them please. I don't like eating wax. :ermm:

My first husband liked zucchini. So I would peel it, slice and batter it, then fry. I could eat it that way. I think it is the peel that I don't like. Just like cucumbers. Peel them please. I don't like eating wax. :ermm:

Do you get English cucumbers where you live? The are long and unwaxed and the seeds are tiny. Really, nice cucumbers. The skins are not as tough as the other kind of cukes, even when they aren't waxed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom