What are your favourite olives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
what kind of olives do you enjoy?

i'm partial to spanish queens stuffed with pimiento, and un-pitted kalamatas.

what's your's?

I love kalamata olives - both pitted and unpitted. I usually use the unpitted to make tapenade.

Truthfully, I used to be partial to martini olives. Until I developed a later in life allergy to that wee drop of vermouth, then I discovered the same olives with pimento sliced and diced and mixed with cream cheese and served on pumpernickel bagels. Those were pretty good, until I discovered my waist-size expanding too much.

Now-a-days, I try to stick to Kalamata and mediterranian types. Much Safer. I love that several grocers have an olive bar, and one can try different varieties or mix and match.

We serve California black olives on holiday relish trays, and there are several casserole type dishes these get sliced and added to.

I Really need to go to bed. I drank too much soda pop today and have the insomnia.

I grew up with Bell-View pitted black olives in a can!

They come in various sizes and are perfect for wearing on the tips of your fingers!

Teaching the new kids at the table how to wear them is one of the best holiday traditions in our family!

I guess you can tell I am not a gourmet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Truthfully, I used to be partial to martini olives. Until I developed a later in life allergy to that wee drop of vermouth, then I discovered the same olives with pimento sliced and diced and mixed with cream cheese and served on pumpernickel bagels. Those were pretty good, until I discovered my waist-size expanding too much.

Thanks for the inspiration - I just made a cream cheese spread with chopped pimiento-stuffed olives, some olive brine, and a little hot sauce. Delicious!

I miss pumpernickel bagels - I used to buy them when I lived in NY and FL, but can't find them here in NC. I can't even find good pumpernickel bread, my favorite.

Last edited:
I like the little dried Turkish ones, but will eat just about any kind. I used to get the ones stuffed with anchovies but can't find them any more. A lot of times I just get the mixed olive blend so I can have as many kinds at the same time. We carry a line of stuffed olives at the deli called Olive It. There are over a dozen varieties from blue cheese stuffed to Habanero. I have tried every kind and they are all good.

Attachments

• turkish_olives.jpg
    turkish_olives.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 256
Don't think I've tried an olive, brine cured or oil cured, that I haven't liked.

I like any olive I have tried, but I can't say I'd try the olives Rock posted...
It's that whole, I've gotta like the looks of what I'm putting in my mouth thing :ermm:
But I buy Kalamattas the most frequently.

There's people who don't like olives?
I think I fit in that category. Oh, sure, I have no problem popping an olive into my mouth and eating it. And I like olives in or on top of things. They don't repulse me. But I don't really go out of my way to eat them by themselves, and I certainly don't crave them. I think it has more to do with the amount of salt they contain. I'm not into pretzels or most chips for the same reason.

Last edited:
I think I fit in that category. Oh, sure, I have no problem popping an olive into my mouth and eating it. And I like olives in or on top of things. They don't repulse me. But I don't really go out of my way to eat them by themselves, and I certainly don't crave them. I think it has more to do with the amount of salt they contain. I'm not into pretzels or most chips for the same reason.

I soak my olives in filtered water, about three soaks and the salt is mostly removed and you can taste the olive.

I used to like the green Spanish olives stuffed with pimentoes. But I have developed a sensitivity to oversalted foods. So now for a snack I just buy ONE can of California black olives. If I buy more than one can, I will sit and eat more than one can. I get the small ones. More to the can. I have a pitter and when I buy the oil cured Kalamata, I get the ones with the pit. :angel:

Last edited:
By the way, BT... what's up with the Canadian/Australian/English spelling of favourite with the superfluous "U"?

Are you going colonial on us, lol? :angel:

I believe he has the answer to that saved somewhere so he can just copy & paste it when asked :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom