What do beets taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love beets, wanna share the recipe?

I don't know it exactly, but I can give you some of the info.

She grates boiled carrot, potato and beets on a pie plate and adds a mixture of mayo and sour cream sort of like a binder.

You start with a layer of coarsly grated potato, sprinkle s & p then a very thin coat of the mayo mixture. Next add the grated carrot with the same toppings, then the beets being careful not to turn everything purple. She wears latex gloves while doing the beets. Then the potato again and the carrot again. Add a top layer of sliced hard boiled egg, a little more carrot and chopped scallions.

I can live off of this stuff. Between this salad and my cold pasta salad I barely eat meat anymore.

The beet salad is simillar to one they make in Russia or Georgia. There's only a little left from the last batch, so I'll get some pics and more info next week when we.....get that? "WE" make a new one. :chef:

I like to cube the beets and roast them...using gloves, of course! Drizzle a bit of olive oil, sprinkling of kosher salt, and that's about it.

Beets me!!!! I don't think I have ever tried a beet. By the way it is being described, it does not sound like something I would like, but I will try anything at least once!

Mom use to make pickled beets with hard boild eggs... she loved the stuff... I could not stand it! I think I ate a few of the eggs, but the red color just gets to me after a bit.

If you leave them uncovered when you roast them, yes, they get a type of skin on them. If you cover them, they steam and roast at the same time, leaving the entire product softer.

Yep, they get "crusty" just like roasting potatoes or broccoli, or just about anything else, and that's the part I like :chef:

I will roast a bunch of different veggies, grouped together because they can roast at different times (shallots, tomatoes, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms) then toss with some pasta, add more kosher or gray salt, a drizzle more of olive oil. Makes a great meal!

to me, beets truely taste like dirt, the tops and the bottoms, and the smell, raw or cooking, tends to gag me

I was trained to determine folks food likes and dislikes, and beets was a very common food dislike in the older population

Beets are sweet and rank up there just above carrots for natural sugar content (6.75% vs 5% for carrots).

Earthy? I think all root vegetables, and most greens, are a little earthy - but if washed well, before preparing by whatever method you use, they should not taste like dirt.

I like them roasted or pickled the most.

This is a recipe I picked up from a little Mom-n-Pop Russian restaurant in Austin, TX back about 1973 - and my kids loved them when they were little:

1 Can/Jar pickled beets
2-4 Tablespoons butter (sliced thin)
2 big dollops sour cream

Heat the pickled beets in a saucepan until nice and hot ... pour off most of the juice ... add the butter and stir to melt ... add the sour cream and stir well ... remove from the heat. Let sit for about 3-4 minutes to let the sour cream get hot.

Sweet and tangy - doesn't taste like dirt at all!

I love beets. DH does not share my affection for them, but I am able to slip them past him as part of a salad occasionally. I expecially like them roasted, with other vegetables, with EVOO and herbs. Jeekinz, your wife's salad sounds very good. I think I'll have to try it!

Beets are yummy. Raw they are earthy sweet as others have said. I don't particularly care for raw beets. I love pickled beets(there are good ones on the market, or make your own). A real treat is Harvard beets!!!

I also love a good Borcht (Never had cold Borcht.. I serve warm with sour cream).

whereas dirt is not the main flavor component for me, dirt is definitely an underriding flavor in beets for me. I do not detect an underlying dirt flavor in other root crops like potatoes or parsnips.

People's taste perceptions are different. Some people think green peppers are bitter, I do not.

I am English - I love beets boiled and served in vinegar, hate the American way of putting sugar on them, but then I hate most sugar.

I have a sandwich three times a week with cheddar cheese and wholemeal bread - lovely! Yum:)

Beets taste and smell like the earth, but not like dirt. It's hard to describe exactly what I mean, but I love them...and can't imagine anyone NOT liking them.

I am English - I love beets boiled and served in vinegar, hate the American way of putting sugar on them, but then I hate most sugar.

I have a sandwich three times a week with cheddar cheese and wholemeal bread - lovely! Yum:)

Would never have thought of this - must try!

My mother scarred me for life and I will never eat another beet again. She used to serve the canned beets twice a week when I was little. Just the thought adds to my need that I already had to throw up. I hate the things. Raw, pickled, pretending to be something else. Beets are just nasty in my book.

Back
Top Bottom