What Do You Do With Sauerkraut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a good idea, Aunt Bea, would have never thought of putting kraut in soup!

I just made myself some homemade Sauerkraut , and Im just eating it out of the jar. I love it. Sometimes Ill make myself a sauerkraut and pickle salad. Just toss some kraut with a bunch of different kinds of sliced pickles ( half sour, sour, garlic...) Does a number on my stomach, but I love it.

Egg rolls.

Filling of cooked ground beef (or italian sausage or pork), chopped and cooked onion, chopped water chestnuts, chopped sauerkraut. Wrap in egg roll wrappers, fry or bake brushed with olive oil until brown. Serve with a sauce of honey and mustard with soy sauce.

Egg rolls.

Filling of cooked ground beef (or italian sausage or pork), chopped and cooked onion, chopped water chestnuts, chopped sauerkraut. Wrap in egg roll wrappers, fry or bake brushed with olive oil until brown. Serve with a sauce of honey and mustard with soy sauce.

This intrigues me, Blissful. Oft times I don't have fresh bean sprouts that I would usually use, what a great replacement!

My MIL fed farm hands and one of our favorite comfort foods is Hazel's sauerkraut pie...browned burger and onion in a casserole dish, then a layer of sauerkraut and mashed potatoes on top...all baked until bubbly.

We're using up the last of a batch of red kraut that I made last fall and stashed in the fridge. Makes great cole slaw...just some mayo and a little sugar and caraway seed.

Egg rolls.

What a good idea, and I'm so happy to see you again blissful!

:flowers::flowers: Kayelle
Thanks for posting Your Sauer Kraut Salad recipe.
When I read it I went to the kitchen and made it,
It is delish. I made with home made saur kraut.
I canned 18 pints of sauer kraut last week it is
awesome,nothing like the store bought

Thanks
Josie

"Trust Me Sauerkraut Salad"

It's called that because you need to trust me that it's really good. Even people who usually don't like sauerkraut say so, even kids. :yum:

1 lg. can of sauerkraut, drained
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped purple onion
1 cup chopped green or red bell pepper (or combo)

Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cider vinegar
1/4 vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine kraut and veggies. Mix dressing and toss with mixture. Chill several hours to combine flavors and drain off some of the juice before serving ice cold. It's especially good with grilled meats.
:chef:

Then there's this...
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/down-memory-lane-german-stew-recipe-80801.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of Kayelle's recipes I've made I've enjoyed, this is next!

I always have at least one jar of Morena Polish sauerkraut in the house. When I bring the last one up from the basement I make sure to buy a resupply. We like it best with pork roasts, pork chops, pork sausages...pretty much anything pork that isn't cured.

In the vein of blissful's suggestion, there is an Irish pub in Cleveland, OH that offers an appetizer called "Irish Egg Rolls". (Don't scoff at the "Irish" and "Cleveland" in that sentence, the place is run by the Goonan and Reece families. ;) ) I've been wanting to try these, but I keep forgetting to buy egg roll wrappers.

"Handcrafted egg rolls filled with corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese. Served with 1000 Island or Hooley Sauce"

Does the egg roll recipe come from Ireland , or is it an American invention with the word Irish in front ?

MC a jar of sauerkraut just sounds to me like something bought on a whim and put in the store cupboard , where in my kitchen it would stay till I had one of those clear outs and you realise things are lurking........ :)

I just eat it out of the jar with a fork. We make sauerkraut...so have lots of jars of it hanging around. Sometimes I will put it on a slice of homemade bread, topped with cheese and homemade salsa, nuked..."quick" pizza for lunch. Heated up as a side with ham or pork chops.

Thanks. It doesn't need strict quantities, more hints & technique, e.g., what needs to be cut up; what needs to be browned?

German Style Boiled Dinner
Ingredients
2 lbs kraut with liquid
1 lbs boiling onions peeled, ends removed
1-1/2 lbs spareribs, membrane removed and cut into two rib sections
1 lb brats or other German style sausages
2-3 large carrots, peeled and chunked
1 large sweet onion, large dice
1-2 cloves of garlic, smashed and peels removed
1 lb whole new potatoes, your choice, rinsed
1-2 stalks celery, rinsed and chunked (optional)
Vegetable oil
Caraway seeds
Bay leaves*
Juniper berries*
whole black pepper corns*
Chicken stock and/or beer
S&P

*I put these into a little cloth bag we have for pickling beef or you can use cheese cloth. I purposely didn't put amounts, that is up to you.

Note: My grandmother would also use a small head of green or red cabbage, quartered, stem left intact.

Directions
Heat a large Dutch oven size pot over medium-high. Add a couple tablespoons of oil. Brown the sausages and remove. S&P the ribs and brown them in the pot and remove. Add diced onions and celery (if used). Saute until vegis are soft. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Deglaze the pot with chicken stock and/or beer. Bring to a simmer and add the kraut. Return the meat to the pot, add caraway seeds and spice bag. Cover pot and bring to a simmer. You will be adding the other vegetables in order of cooking time, adjusting liquid as needed to cover. When the last vegi is cooked through, adjust seasonings and serve using a slotted spoon or spider. Serve mustard(s) and horseradish on the side along with a good dark rye bread if you like. You can add other pork products if you like, just brown at the beginning.

Does the egg roll recipe come from Ireland , or is it an American invention with the word Irish in front ?...
Not from Ireland, but the elder Mr. Goonan is. ;) I'm guessing it's called that to pique the interest of those perusing the menu.

Sounds like a Reuben roll
Whatever it's called, it sounds good. It would be even more interesting if you could get rye egg roll wrappers.

Rueben....casserole.

We make this at new year's, as an appetizer, nearly every year.
All the usual suspects, corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, all chopped, mixed with thousand island dressing, put in an 8 by 8 inch corning casserole dish, baked until hot melted and gooey. Served with those little rye or pumpernickel breads (2x2 inches), or toast, or crackers, scoop the casserole by the spoonful onto the breads.

I am a little late but here is a suggestion. We love it.

Ms. Mofet's Pork Chops and Sauerkraut (click)

img_1416620_0_d3d9cd974fe405462b81b5fa4f239d5e.jpg

Rueben....casserole.

We make this at new year's, as an appetizer, nearly every year.
All the usual suspects, corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, all chopped, mixed with thousand island dressing, put in an 8 by 8 inch corning casserole dish, baked until hot melted and gooey. Served with those little rye or pumpernickel breads (2x2 inches), or toast, or crackers, scoop the casserole by the spoonful onto the breads.

Not me. I ain't scooping any Reuben on a small piece of bread. I am taking a bowlful and making a piggy of myself. Once I get me a bowlful, then I will considering scooping it while I sit in the corner where no one can find me and ask for some. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom