What is this vegetable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't image anyone hating them jpm. We usually cut a fairly deep cross in the bottom after trimming them, and steam them. Gives us a chance to eat too much sour cream or butter. But anyway suits me just fine. The salad is a pretty idea, I like that.

Brussel sprouts are great! My favorite way to fix 'em is to roast w/olive oil, salt and pepper. The outer leaves get crispy and the inside is tender. After reading all these other ideas, though, I"m gonna give them a try.

I have to be honest and say I'm not a great Brussels sprouts fan but this is really good:

1lb Brussels sprouts very finely shredded
2 tablespoons olive or other oil
One small sweet onion or a couple of spring onions, finely sliced
1/2 tsp of five-spice powder

Heat the oil in a large pan and then gently fry the sprouts and onions for a couple of minutes. Don't allow them to brown.
Stir in five-spice powder and continue frying gently till the sprouts are the level of crunchiness you like.

Serve with soy sauce. Couldn't be easier, especially if you have a food processor to shred the sprouts.

Snoop Puss said:
I have to be honest and say I'm not a great Brussels sprouts fan but this is really good:

1lb Brussels sprouts very finely shredded
2 tablespoons olive or other oil
One small sweet onion or a couple of spring onions, finely sliced
1/2 tsp of five-spice powder

Heat the oil in a large pan and then gently fry the sprouts and onions for a couple of minutes. Don't allow them to brown.
Stir in five-spice powder and continue frying gently till the sprouts are the level of crunchiness you like.

Serve with soy sauce. Couldn't be easier, especially if you have a food processor to shred the sprouts.
Just picked up two packages of them at Trader Joe's today, what a lovely recipe. I can hardly wait to try it. Thank you.
kadesma:)

What a timely topic!! I just picked up my mail & my new issue of Eating Well magazine had arrived with a 3-page feature on Brussels Sprouts!! They have 4 wonderful recipes - all of which I plan to try in the very near future, especially since one of our local supermarkets has begun carrying fresh brussels sprouts still on the stalk. Now that's fresh!

Eating Well (www.eatingwell.com) does have a website with most, if not all, of their recipes available, so here are the titles for anyone interested:

"Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnut Brown Butter"
"Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Onions"
"Brussels Sprouts with Sherry-Asiago Cream Sauce"
"Brussels Sprouts with Walnut-Lemon Vinaigrette"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom