What is your favorite recipe for Rutabagas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kadesma said:
OK you sold me, How do you think they would be with grilled Tri Tip? We have that planed for dinner on Sunday
kades

You could swap them out for mashed potatoes. I think they would be great!

I roast the squash whole in a 400º F oven. Depending on size it's done in an hour or so. Then I let it cool enough to handle, split it down the middle and scoop out the seeds then scoop the flesh into a bowl. I add butter, salt, pepper. Sometimes I add brown sugar and sometimes roasted garlic. Sometimes I add both. You can also add cinnamon and nutmeg.
Thanks Andy tis sounds so good. will give it a try on Sunday along with the Trip Tip the kids will love it as will I.
thanks again
cj

I use them like turnips in stew. Someone mentioned using them in cole slaw. Sounds reasonable; I'm going to give that a try. Bought a nice big one today.

rutabaga or swede is great in soups, mixed roasted root veg, mashed with potatoes (they bring a real depth of flavor to spuds!) or just roasted and mashed with butter S & P . Boiling brings out a slight cabbagey flavor (they are related) but roasting brings out the sweetness. they also roast well around meats and poultry. enjoy!

rutabaga or swede is great in soups, mixed roasted root veg, mashed with potatoes (they bring a real depth of flavor to spuds!) or just roasted and mashed with butter S & P . Boiling brings out a slight cabbagey flavor (they are related) but roasting brings out the sweetness. they also roast well around meats and poultry. enjoy!

Interesting. Is it better to peel prior to roasting or after? Have you ever roasted one on a charcoal grill?

i peel mine first. i've never done them on a grill.

besides boiling and mashing, i've made them by cutting into long, fairly thin chunks, and roasted them with potatoes and onions under a leg of lamb. the dripping lamb fat on them is deeelish.

Rutabega/turnip. I never cared for either one. I would encourage you to go for butternut squash.
I've eaten butternut squash my entire life. It's great. I love it.

I'm expanding my selection of veggies to include some I've never tried before. Rutabagas are one I've wanted to try, but just never got around to doing so.

I'm going to start with a 50-50 mix if potatoes and rutabaga mashed. I'll put some crispy fried bacon, butter and salt and pepper in it and see how I like them.

Once I have the rutabaga flavor where I can relate it to other dishes, I'll go from there.

Lots of great ideas offered in this thread.

Thanks to all.

I've eaten butternut squash my entire life. It's great. I love it.

I'm expanding my selection of veggies to include some I've never tried before. Rutabagas are one I've wanted to try, but just never got around to doing so.

I'm going to start with a 50-50 mix if potatoes and rutabaga mashed. I'll put some crispy fried bacon, butter and salt and pepper in it and see how I like them.

Once I have the rutabaga flavor where I can relate it to other dishes, I'll go from there.

Lots of great ideas offered in this thread.

Thanks to all.

I hope your experiments result in finding another food you really like. It's fun to try new foods. A discovery of a new flavor you really like is exciting. However, you will get some clunkers along the way. It's the price of an adventurous spirit.

I hope your experiments result in finding another food you really like. It's fun to try new foods. A discovery of a new flavor you really like is exciting. However, you will get some clunkers along the way. It's the price of an adventurous spirit.

That's what happened when I first tried Uni at a sushi bar. As soon as it hit my taste buds, my mind said; "What in the world is this nasty stuff?". Then, several other sushi lovers told me that maybe it wasn't fresh, so that's why I didn't like it. I tried it 3 times, and all 3 times it struck me as nasty. That one was a "clunker" for me.

I'll find out tonight if rutabagas are in my realm of liked flavors. I look forward to the new taste.

Treat rutabagas just like potatoes. Peel (they are usually dipped in wax) and cut up into 1" chunks. Boil until just tender.

My hands down favorite is a 50/50 mixture of potatoes and rutabagas, mashed with a little cream and a lot of butter. Yum!

I have the potatoes and rutabaga boiling now. Next time, I'll put the taters in when the rutabagas are about half done. The potato is done, but the rutabaga is still too firm.

Boiling....boiling.....

Well, I mashed them with butter and "half and half".

Salt and Pepper and they were very good. A unique flavor that was pretty darn good. I had some Johnsonville Jalapeno Cheddar Smoked Sausage with the mashed and it was a very good supper.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Next time, I'll try to get smaller rutabagas. This one was a tad woody, but not so bad that it affected my enjoyment of it.

sausages and butter/cream mashed rutes is a traditional scandinavian homestyle kind of meal. my mom would be proud of you, tim. wtg.

i'm looking forward to them at thanksgiving.

Timothy said:
Well, I mashed them with butter and "half and half".

Salt and Pepper and they were very good. A unique flavor that was pretty darn good. I had some Johnsonville Jalapeno Cheddar Smoked Sausage with the mashed and it was a very good supper.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Next time, I'll try to get smaller rutabagas. This one was a tad woody, but not so bad that it affected my enjoyment of it.

Sweet! Sounds really good.

I always feel silly saying the word "rutabaga." :)

Many years ago my Grandma cooked them often; she mashed and ate them with a prodigious amount of hot pepper vinegar sprinkled on. She pronounced them "ROOtabeggers." I thought they smelled just awful cooking and would never try them.

Back
Top Bottom