What is your favorite recipe for Rutabagas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
I've never eaten a Rutabaga. In all the pot-luck dinners I've been to, I've never seen them offered. I've never seen them on any menu at any restaurant.

I picked one, medium sized Rutabaga up and would like to try it.

If you have a favorite way to cook Rutabagas, I'd love to see it.

Yum. Used to be a turkey day staple.

Peel, cut in chunks and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook till tender.

Drain and mash with lots of butter and a bit of sugar, some s&p.

Dice into 1/4" pieces. Saute in a small amount of butter, black pepper, thyme and sage until tender. Serve over a mix of brown and wild rice. Add crumbled breakfast sausage if desired.

Second favorite, dice and boil until tender. Drain. Mash with butter, a little brown sugar and a dash of allspice. Cover and let sit for ten minutes to let the flavors blend. Serve along side roasted turkey, roasted chicken, or roasted cornish game hen and dinner rolls.

I'm with Dawgluver, still is a turkey day staple in my house but, I leave out the sugar.

They have a unique flavor and they are low in calories and carbs.

The worst part is peeling the waxed skin.

Rutabega/turnip. I never cared for either one. I would encourage you to go for butternut squash.

Andy M. said:
Rutabega/turnip. I never cared for either one. I would encourage you to go for butternut squash.

What's funny for me is I could never develop a liking for squash, but love turnips and rutabegas!

Peel, cut into chunks, boil with a piece of side meat or ham hock. When tender, drain and serve. Here at Casa de Hoot, I am the only one who likes rutabagas. No sugar, please. Maybe a little salt and pepper.

Use them anywhere you would use a turnip. They impart a nice yellow color and a buttery flavor compared to a turnip.
Mashed with a bit of butter and buttermilk, s/p. No sweetener. You can mix them 50/50 with potatoes if you find the rutabaga flavor too strong on its own.
Use them in pasties. Very good.
Even as a sub for potatoes in your favorite hash recipe.

Last edited:
I've never eaten a Rutabaga. In all the pot-luck dinners I've been to, I've never seen them offered. I've never seen them on any menu at any restaurant.

I picked one, medium sized Rutabaga up and would like to try it.

If you have a favorite way to cook Rutabagas, I'd love to see it.

I love it when people buy things they don't know how to eat--shows a sense of adventrue. Here in SE Ontario, one peels the rhutabaga, cubes it, and cooks it like a potato. When done, drain it, and mash it with boiled carrots, S&P, butter, milk. Serve as a side.

They are also good as a replacement for cabbage in boiled dinner. You can shred them and add them raw to coleslaw or salad. Wash them really well after peeling and salt a little after shredding. I love them in soups. I also like them with a little garam masala.

Japanese cuisine also includes pickled items, one of which is pickled turnips. A lot of time they are pickled pink like the pink pickled ginger you might have with sushi.

Yum. Used to be a turkey day staple.

Peel, cut in chunks and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook till tender.

Drain and mash with lots of butter and a bit of sugar, some s&p.
OK you sold me, How do you think they would be with grilled Tri Tip? We have that planed for dinner on Sunday
kades

Andy care to share your favorite butternut squash recipe. I've never given it a try and want to do so for my gang. Sudndays are getting harder with the cool weather coming. Thanks Andy
cj

Andy care to share your favorite butternut squash recipe. I've never given it a try and want to do so for my gang. Sudndays are getting harder with the cool weather coming. Thanks Andy
cj

I roast the squash whole in a 400º F oven. Depending on size it's done in an hour or so. Then I let it cool enough to handle, split it down the middle and scoop out the seeds then scoop the flesh into a bowl. I add butter, salt, pepper. Sometimes I add brown sugar and sometimes roasted garlic. Sometimes I add both. You can also add cinnamon and nutmeg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom