What should I make with my leftover potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire said:
Jacques Pepin does this thing where he grates a rather strong, hard cheese (swiss, parmesan, etc) into the mashed potatoes, an egg or two, and bakes it like a souffle. It is wonderful. I actually put in a dab of baking powder to get it a little fluffier. Yummyumm.

Claire: That is a geat dish! It's the recipe I posted above. It makes a great side for a comfort food meal. I'll have to try some baking powder next time.

Fingers crossed for the house - we moved here 7 months ago but saw this house a year ago, and had been hunting for the right one for nearly a year.....saw about 50 in the end and were beginning to lose hope. If we'd lost this perfect house I don't think we'd have found anything! Good luck!!

Thank you so much CARO! Now, if only the sellers of the big house will accept our bid! (I know there's at least one other being presented)

Yesterday I got a little over-zealous with my potatoes and mashed enough for a small country. After dinner I realized I had waaaaaaaay too much here.
I do this all the time too! I think I could eat mashed potatoes every day, they are my favourite! :mrgreen:

Sometimes I like to add an egg (or egg whites), a little butter/cream (depends on what was in the mashed spuds origionally) & some seasonings, and pipe them through a piping bag (or a zip-lock with a star tip attached) into "duchess potatoes". These pretty potato rosettes are such fun to eat as is...or use to top another dish.

Tattie scones - a Scottish favourite - I'm pasting this from a thread I started here a while ago.

POTATO SCONES (Tattie Scones)

1 lb potatoes (very 'floury' textured ones work best)
1.5 oz butter
Salt/pepper to taste
4 oz (approx) plain flour

Boil potatoes in salted water, drain and mash with the butter until light and fluffy, adding salt/pepper to taste.

Work in the flour. A word of caution, only add in enough to make a stiff dough - cannot be more precise as it depends on the moisture content of the potatoes used!

Turn the mixture out onto a floured board, knead very lightly (don't handle the dough very much at all) and roll out into a square. Cut into triangles (the traditional shape) or use a 2 inch scone cutter.

Lightly oil a traditional girdle (sort of like an old-fashioned griddle, made of iron) or a good, heavy based fryingpan. Cook them on a medium heat for about 5 mins a side, or until they are golden brown.

These should be eaten hot, or spread with butter later if there are any left.

Ah, here comes Ishbel's fabulous Scottish cuisine!! I always wanted a good dependable recipe for Tattie Scones...thanx!!:-p

can I add some scallion?? or maybe a dash of hot pepper to makem savory tattie scones?? or is that forbidden by tradition??

Robo410 said:
can I add some scallion?? or maybe a dash of hot pepper to makem savory tattie scones?? or is that forbidden by tradition??
While I'm not too sure how traditional hot peppers would be, sure you can! I've made a very similar recipe with added snippets of chives, fresh herbs, cheese (cheddar namely), even a few nibblets of corn (DH loves corn)...Let your imagination go wild :mrgreen:

Traditional tattie scones have no onions or leeks in them, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.:)

The Irish have almost the same thing - which they call potato farls - they tend to make theirs a little flatter or 'thinner' than the Tattie Scone.

Here's a recipe from an Irish source
1.25 lbs of Potatoes (4 potatoes)
2 Teaspoons of Melted Butter
1 Cup of Flour
Half Teaspoon of Salt
4 Teaspoons of Vegtable Oil

Peel and half the potatoes and boil in water for 20 minutes or so until soft. Drain and then add the butter and mash thoroughly. Add the flour and slat and mix. Divide the mixture in half and put the first half on a lightly floured surface. Knead until flat - approx .25 inch thick. Divide nto 4. Repeat the process for the other half of the mixture. Fry/Griddle using the oil for approx 2 minutes or until crispy brown on each side. Serve warm.

Last edited:
Ishbel said:
The Irish have almost the same thing - which they call potato farls - they tend to make theirs a little flatter or 'thinner' than the Tattie Scone.
Yes, the ones I've had in Ireland were flatter, perhaps even a little denser than my homemade versions of tattie scones.

Back
Top Bottom