What to do with cauliflower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, thanks for the opions on cauliflower, I usually just cook mine in butter,
or melt cheese over the cooked cauliflower...
mmmm love it...

I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but I can go find my recipe need be.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
about 12 kalamatas, pitted and chopped
a spoon of capers (probably a tablespoon or so)
head of cauliflower broken into smaller florets
parsley (i use flat leaf, but its fine without it)

Combine first four ingredients.

I cook it in a wok with a lid.
I put a little (maybe a tablespoon or two) or olive oil in the wok over medium-high heat. Then I add the cauliflower and the lid, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
Then take off the lid and saute for 5-10 more minutes.

Put it into a bowl and toss with olive/caper dressing. Top with parsley.

It's good as a side dish, or you can add some chicken and it makes a yummy meal. I've added leftover cooked chicken before.

You can make mock mashed potatoes or roasted cauliflower. Drizzle w evoo, balsamic, s&p, garlic powder and bake in preheated 450 oven until caramelized.

Cheesy Baked Cauliflower(s)

1 large head cauliflower
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese*
* Any cheese of your choice may be substituted.

To prepare cauliflower, remove the stem and green leaves from the bottom of the head. Trim the base of the core so that the head will stand upright.

Place the whole head of cauliflower into a steamer basket, place the basket in a large pot, and add one inch of water. Cover, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until tender when pierced.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the head of cauliflower into a baking dish or pie plate.

In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, and mustard; spread the mixture over the cauliflower. Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, approximately 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and melted. Makes approximately 2 to 4 servings
----------------

1 Cauliflower, leaves and stems trimmed
8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
1/2 C Butter, cubed
1 1/2 C Bread crumbs, plain (enough to cover the cauliflower)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Boil cauliflower in water (to cover) for 15 minutes. Remove and drain. Press cubes of cheese and butter in between florets. Sprinkle bread crumbs over cauliflower and wrap in foil. Place in baking dish and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield 6 servings

-----------

Cauliflower Pancetta

Coat cauliflower florets with olive oil. Add balsamic vinegar to coat. Cube 2-3 slices Pancetta (small). Add to dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, 1 tsp. garlic powder. Mix. Add ½ cup or less bread crumbs. Bake, covered, in a 350 ° oven 20-30 minutes or until desired consistency.
-----------

Cauliflower Popcorn
http://www.wegmans.com/greatMeals/recipes/frameset.asp?recipe=4335&url=displayrecipe.asp

--------------

The pic made me hungry. Adding bacon, cottage cheese, and tomatoes to roasted cheesy, bread crumby roasted cauliflower, sounds pretty good to me.:)
http://www.bayoubill.com/archives/2003/cauliflower.html

Last edited:
I think that it is fine if Andy, BigDog and others don't like cauliflower. Just means more for the rest of us!!! I am the same way with beets, ain't no way I am going to try them again in any shape or form!!!

kimbaby said:
yeah I am very sure there has to be a veggie I do not like either, maybe garbonzo beans...

Y'all can have my beets too, right along with the cauliflower!

Garbonzo beans a veggie? They are a.k.a. chick peas, which I thought were part of the legume family. I like chick peas/garbonzo beans, but I've never had them solo. They were mixed in to a Tex Mex stew/chili with some black beans.

Sorry, this kind of went off topic. Back to cauliflower, of which I'll graciously give my portion to anyone else! :sick:

sizzles said:
...But try steaming it for a quick few minutes, then put in an oven proof bowl, in another bowl, mix, cream, milk butter and gruyere cheese, pour on top of the cauliflower, sprinkle bread crumbs and put in the oven on very hot for 7 to 10 mins.Serve with whatever your hear desires. I like it with roast potatoes and roast chicken.

Sizzles:

I noticed from the "Food You Wouldn't Put In Your Mouth" thread that you don't care for frogs legs or fried caterpillers. Try this:

"But try steaming it for a quick few minutes, then put in an oven proof bowl, in another bowl, mix, cream, milk butter and gruyere cheese, pour on top of the frogs legs and fried caterpillers, sprinkle bread crumbs and put in the oven on very hot for 7 to 10 mins.Serve with whatever your hear desires."

GB said:
How about in a cheese fondue mud? Oh so good!

*creeping gingerly up to the fondue pot with her eeeny weeny piece of cauli grasped at the end of the trembling fondue fork*

OK, just this once. Got any Rotel?

Andy M. said:
Sizzles:

I noticed from the "Food You Wouldn't Put In Your Mouth" thread that you don't care for frogs legs or fried caterpillers. Try this:

"But try steaming it for a quick few minutes, then put in an oven proof bowl, in another bowl, mix, cream, milk butter and gruyere cheese, pour on top of the frogs legs and fried caterpillers, sprinkle bread crumbs and put in the oven on very hot for 7 to 10 mins.Serve with whatever your hear desires."
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

mudbug said:
*creeping gingerly up to the fondue pot with her eeeny weeny piece of cauli grasped at the end of the trembling fondue fork*

OK, just this once. Got any Rotel?
If you eat just 3 small pieces then we can switch over to chocolate fondue :mrgreen:

mudbug said:
mish you can have my beets too,

Last time I made pickled beets, I added cauliflower florets, and they were delicious. They turned out to be a lovely pink, sweet/sour and crunchy. I didn't can them...just put them in a 2-quart canning jar and kept in the fridge. They last forever.
My pickled beet recipe, using canned whole beets from the grocery, is in the canning section.

Raw is really the way to go with cauliflower. It's a great with a ranch or french onion dip, and adds a nice crunch to all kinds of salads. I wouldn't maked a 7-layer salad without it.

mudbug said:
mish you can have my beets too, unless I'm makin' that Ozzie Chocolate Beetroot cake.

More for me :LOL: I will have to look into that cake, mud. Sounds wonderful.

When I go to a salad bar, some of the first things I put on my plate are, broccoli (raw), beets, & garbanzos. I like cauliflower, but prefer it cooked.

Guessing you guys would hate brocoflower (sp) and borscht, as well. MEN! Give 'em a steak and baked potato & they're happy. :LOL:

Mish, I found some brocciflower at the market the other day. Since I was making a 7 layer salad to take to a wake, I bought it.
It's such a beautiful lime green, and looks great in the salad. I find the flavor exactly like cauliflower. Wish I could find some of the purple variety.

Constance said:
Last time I made pickled beets, I added cauliflower florets, and they were delicious.
How could I forget about pickled cauliflower??? Oh so good!!!

valnaples said:
Have you heard of Cauliflower Popcorn? You basically remove core and tough stems and cut up the florets into appx. size of popcorn, then toss with 3 Tbsp. of olive oil and 2 teaspoons salt...roast in a 450 degree oven in shallow roasting pan for about 45-50 minutes, turning/stirring the pieces every 15 minutes. You want them good and browned, but not blackened, before taking out of the oven.

Valnaples, that sounds devine!!! (copy/paste/printing.....) Thanks!!!

Constance said:
Mish, I found some brocciflower at the market the other day. Since I was making a 7 layer salad to take to a wake, I bought it.
It's such a beautiful lime green, and looks great in the salad. I find the flavor exactly like cauliflower. Wish I could find some of the purple variety.

I agree, Constance. The color is pretty and it does taste like cauliflower. I was hoping for more of a combination of tastes - broccoli and cauliflower. When I see the purple, must give it a try - just to see what it tastes like.

Back
Top Bottom