What to do with cauliflower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't tried the purple or the yellowish-orange cauliflower yet. They are hard to find in my area. Have seen them down in Phoenix when I visit my daughters. Broccoflower is good but not as good as cauliflower, IMO. Love the color for a veggie relish tray though!!

OK, pickles. I do eat pickled cauliflower. Mom and dad used to put up gallons of home made pickled vegetables every fall - green tomatos, carrots, cauliflower, green peppers, etc. We couldn't wait until Thanksgiving to open the first bottle. The pickled cauliflower was one of my favorites. It had the best crunch and did not taste of cauliflower at all.

Andy M. said:
Sizzles:

I noticed from the "Food You Wouldn't Put In Your Mouth" thread that you don't care for frogs legs or fried caterpillers. Try this:

"But try steaming it for a quick few minutes, then put in an oven proof bowl, in another bowl, mix, cream, milk butter and gruyere cheese, pour on top of the frogs legs and fried caterpillers, sprinkle bread crumbs and put in the oven on very hot for 7 to 10 mins.Serve with whatever your hear desires."

I get the point Andy. I was only posting a cauliflower recipe.

Sizzles:

That wasn't meant to be nasty. It was my attempt at making a point with humor. I apologize if it offended you.

Andy M.

Last edited:
We found this when we were doing the South Beach diet and actually had a microwave. Not so anymore and we really miss this dish...

Head of cauliflower - stem removed.
Place in microwave safe bowl and add water until about 1/4 of the way up the head.
In a bowl, mix together 1 cup mayonaise, a good portion of mustard (either yellow or dijon) and horseradish.
Smear mixture over head of cauliflower, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 8 - 10 minutes or until fork tender to the core. The topping will brown slightly ...

oh so good!
:)

Oh! I'm not sure if it was mentioned or not but soup!! There are a ton of good recipes out there ... we use the one from the "Joy of Cooking" and add shredded cheddar to the tops when served. Perfect for a cold day!

Andy M. said:
Sizzles:

That wasn't meant to be nasty. It was my attempt at making a point with humor. I apologize if it offended you.

Andy M.
No worries,I am sorry too, I probably took it without humour after a night of not much sleep with my son up all night coughing a lot that he could'nt sleep much. Not a good excuse really. Anyway, Friends?!I do hope so Andy M.I would cook you a great meal without cauliflower to make up if you were in switzerland!:)

Cover it with cheese, wrap it up, give it to a friend, and say "It's a cheese ball." :LOL:

sizzles said:
...Friends?! I do hope so Andy M.I would cook you a great meal without cauliflower to make up if you were in switzerland!:)

Friends! If I ever make it to Switzerland, I'll be sure to come by for dinner!

GBs - Clarification Please

I bought 2 heads of cauliflower yesterday. (Good sale on them.) I tried this recipe tonight, doubling the ingredients. Is the approximate time correct for reducing the liquid? (2 minutes) I've never been able to reduce anything that quickly. I wonder if it should have been 12 or 20 minutes! I reduced for a lot longer than 2 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients. It's sitting on the stove simmering right now. It's got a great flavor but it's still too soupy. I'm hoping to correct that by cooking it a little longer.

Thank you!

GB said:
I love cauliflower. I even like it just steamed with salt and pepper. I think pepper goes so with with it. For those that might not be crazy about cauliflower though try this recipe...

Smashed Cauliflower with Cheese

1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
3 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 cup shredded white extra-sharp Vermont Cheddar
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Regiano
Coarse black pepper and salt
A generous grating nutmeg

Place cauliflower in a medium shallow pot or pan. Add stock, cover and place pot over high heat. When liquid boils, reduce heat to simmer and cook covered 10 minutes. Remove cover, raise heat to medium high and allow the broth to reduce by half, 2 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces and the cheeses and smash the cauliflower with a masher to the same consistency as desired for mashed potatoes. Season the cauliflower with black pepper, a pinch of salt and nutmeg.

I think that most people who hate cauliflower have never had it prepared properly. Of course, some have had it cooked right and still hate it, but I suspect they survive on bologna and Wonder Bread.

Anyway, try steaming it until it's just tender, then serve it with nothing but butter and salt and pepper. Overcooking makes it ugly!

Or, look for a recipe for the Indian classic, Aloo Gobhi (spicy cauliflower and potatoes).

I am with Andy on this one.

I will eat the stuff raw, it is OK, but cooked, sorry folks, just have never found a version that makes me happy.

I like cruciferous veggies, with one notable exception, and have been introduced to a number of variations on the dreaded cauliflower theme since one of us actually likes the stuff.

If served the cooked stuff at another's house will just take a tad, the littlest tad one can take without being rude, choke down a bit, push it about my plate a bit, and abandon the stuff to the garbage.

But hope springs eternal.

I wonder how the veggie would taste sliced thin, breaded like tempura, and fried.

Might try it. But them again I am an optimist.

I guess I am just cauliflower challanged.

But have been on this planet for quite a while, and I don't think the cauliflower is ever going to win.

Sorry and take care.

But keep on fighting the good fight Andy, you are not alone.

I was at the supermercado ("Mega") today and went to the deli section to get us something quick for lunch. I chose chiles rellenos, but I also saw cooked cauliflower in a sort of creamy looking sauce, separated into florets, with bits of julienned carrot and strips of chiles (probably poblano) in the sauce as well. Slices of white cheese on top - probably Chihuahua or Oaxaca cheese. Your equivalent would be mozzarella, jack or maybe provolone. Looked really good - wish I'd bought some. I will next time.

Cauliflower! Love it. Like most vegetables, it's great roasted:
Roasted Cauliflower
1 head cauliflower; (about 6 cups)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic; minced
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried basil; crushed
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
Place cauliflower in 2-quart baking dish. In small bowl, combine olive
oil, minced garlic, curry powder, cumin, basil, mustard and salt. Drizzle
over cauliflower, tossing to coat. Bake in 450º oven about 30 minutes or
until lightly toasted, stirring gently after 15 minutes. Serve hot.

I also love it fried with a tempura batter.

Corinne said:
I bought 2 heads of cauliflower yesterday. (Good sale on them.) I tried this recipe tonight, doubling the ingredients. Is the approximate time correct for reducing the liquid? (2 minutes) I've never been able to reduce anything that quickly. I wonder if it should have been 12 or 20 minutes! I reduced for a lot longer than 2 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients. It's sitting on the stove simmering right now. It's got a great flavor but it's still too soupy. I'm hoping to correct that by cooking it a little longer.

Thank you!
Corrine, sorry I am getting back to you so late! Yes you are absolutely correct and sorry for not catching that typo. The original recipe I used did say two minutes, but like you found out that is way too short of a time. I meant to change that, but completely forgot. Forget about the time frame and just reduce it until it gets to the consistency you like. Sorry about that!!! I hope it turned out ok.

GB - it's OK, don't worry about it! I still needed to know the answer. I put the recipe in my recipe software & I want to correct that part for the next time! Also, others may want to try it, so now they have the correction - that's why I wrote to you in the forum instead of privately. :)
The flavor was wonderful & it was so easy - that's exactly what I was looking for last night. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom