What to do with eggplant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently found a low calorie recipe for eggplants. You grill them in the oven, turning them around constantly for about 20 minutes or until the skin starts to fall off. THen you crush them into a bowl. Mix with 2 garlic cloves (crushed), some onion powder, 1 tbsp of parsley and 1/4 cup yogurt. It makes a delicious spread. You then get two slices of bread, you spread the eggplant salad and add son turkey or chicken ham. Delicious snack.

micro stuffed brinjal (egg plant)

Micro Stuffed Brinjal [font=Verdana, Arial]Preparation Time : 10 mtes
Cooking Time : 15 mtes
Serves / Makes : 4
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial] [/font][font=Verdana, Arial]Ingredients[/font][font=Verdana, Arial]Small round brinjals (tender ) ½ kg
Tamarind paste 1 tbsp
Stuffing:
Roast and powder
Dhania: 2 tbsp
Peanuts 2 tbsp
White til 1 tbsp
Copra 2 tbsp

Oil 3 tbsp
Red chilli powder 3 tsp
Hing powder 1 tsp
Salt, haldi.
[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial]Method[/font][font=Verdana, Arial]Wash and slit brinjals into 4 upto ¾ lengthwise.
Roast & powder the given ingredients and mix with tamarind paste, chilli powder, salt,haldi & hing powder.
Stuff the brinjals with this mixture.
Arrange them in a microwave steamer and steam for about 8 mtes.
Remove, open & cool well.
Arrange them in a big microwave plate, drizzle little oil on it & micro medium for 4 mtes.
Turn over & repeat the procedure twice or thrice till brinjals are uniformly roasted.
Do this carefully without breaking the brinjals.
[/font]

Anita,

I am not familiar with most of the ingredient list. Are there translations that may apply to aid in finding them in the grocery store?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom! From what I always understood, brinjal is the Indian name for aubergene/melanzane/eggplant (whatever you call them...) just yet another variation to call this lovely versatile vegetable!! "dhania" is coriander seed, "copra" is a dehydrated coconut flesh, as for the explanation for "hing", check out the link below!! this page may be useful to get acquainted with some distinct indian spices...:)

http://www.foodsubs.com/SpiceInd.html#asafoetida%20powder

Crema di Melanzane

This is what I like to do when I have some extra aubergene/melanzane/eggplant. It is wonderfully aromatic and versatile, a perfect condiment for pasta, couscous, crackers, crostini or various vegetable and meat dishes, also freezes well!!

Cook the whole aubergene/melanzane/eggplant/brinjal in the oven at 180C/350F for about 40minutes, turning once in the middle. In the mean time shred some onion and mince a garlic, about 1/2 of small onion and 1 small clove of garlic for each fair sized aubergene--<well, from here I will go with the Brit folks!!:rolleyes:> (moderately large but not a "monster"), sautè them in a olive oil.
When the aubergene is fully cooked, cool it for a while until you can touch them without scorching the fingers. Then peel the skin and remove the top. strip them into several pieces and place them in a blender/food processor along with the sauted onion/garlic. Whip them together, adding little by little some extra virgin olive oil to make a smooth texture. (you will need, at the end at least about 30ml of oil or more to each aubergene of the above mentioned size). While blending, add salt, curry, ground coriander seed, cardamom, and cayenne pepper(just a tiny pinch will do unless you like it spicy)... always remember to add the spices a little at a time, taste each time and adjust the amount to your own liking.
When all the ingredients are well blended, put them into a glass jar, cover the surface with extra olive oil. In a fridge it will keep for up to 3 weeks, or you can pack it well in a secure container and freeze it. Enjoy!
Licia:chef:

I dip my eggplant slices in egg or even egg white, then italian bread crumbs. You can either spray it with cooking oil and bake it, or just fry the slices in a pan, and then drain on papertowels. Place a layer of eggplant in the bottom of a glass baking dish, then add a slice of hard salami, a slice of tomatoe, and then mozzarella cheese. Keep adding layers like you would lasagna, then bake until the cheese on top is lightly brown.

Just had eggplant tonight. Fried it in olive oil with some mild chillis. Absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom