What to do with fingerling potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, all. Yesterday, on impulse, I bought a package of mixed fingerling potatoes:

fingerling_potatoes.jpg

I'd like to do something interesting with them that would really highlight their qualities - not sure what those are :LOL: but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm making chicken saltimbocca (chicken cutlets sauteed with prosciutto and sage) tomorrow night, so something that goes with that would be great. TIA.

I've bought those mixed fingerling potatoes before & they're GREAT!! All the markets around here carry them around July 4th as a "red, white, & blue" mix - lol!!! (They do make a fun Fourth of July potato salad!)

To go with something like Chicken Saltimbocca I'd just parboil them in their skins, slice them up, & then pan-fry them to finish in half-&-half butter & extra-virgin olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper, & some paprika.

I've bought those mixed fingerling potatoes before & they're GREAT!! All the markets around here carry them around July 4th as a "red, white, & blue" mix - lol!!! (They do make a fun Fourth of July potato salad!)

To go with something like Chicken Saltimbocca I'd just parboil them in their skins, slice them up, & then pan-fry them to finish in half-&-half butter & extra-virgin olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper, & some paprika.

Sounds good :) Thanks for the idea.

You could do a ragout (sp?). Just cube them, toss with EVOO, salt, pepper, and garlic then bake in the oven until roasted.

BreezyCooking said:

Excellent idea....leave those skins on!!

Enjoy!

Cut fingerlings into one 3/4 inch slices. In large bowl mix 1/2 T chives, 1/2 T thyme, 1/2 T oregano with 2 T of olive oil and fresh cracked pepper and salt. Toss taters and roast in oven at 425 for 20 minutes. Awesome! You can find more recipes here.

The less you do to them, the better. Just cut them in half, quarter the larger ones, toss with some olive oil, sea salt and black pepper and then roast them. Add your favourite fresh herb the last 10 minutes of baking. Toss them around (it help re-oil the skins, too) and finish baking.

The colour is beautiful and fingerlings have such an earthy flavour. Wonderful choice for your chicken saltimbocca.

Such great ideas! There's enough for two meals for the two of us, so I'll go with roasting them for the chicken saltimbocca tomorrow (I still have fresh sage and thyme in the garden) and one day next week, parboil and brown in a skillet, maybe with some different herbs - I also have oregano, rosemary and chives in my herb garden. I'm really looking forward to this :chef: Thanks, all.

LadyCook - if can't find them now, check around both Memorial Day & Fourth of July. That's when I've most often found them available at stores around here.

fingerling potato 'risotto'

when i get my hands on a variety of potatoes like that i like to make a risotto like dish:

Cube the potatoes and lightly blanch. melt leeks and minced garlic in butter, then add a splash of heavy cream and the potatoes. Cook until the potatoes just start to fall apart. Finish with freshly minced thyme, butter, and grated asiago.

when i get my hands on a variety of potatoes like that i like to make a risotto like dish:

Cube the potatoes and lightly blanch. melt leeks and minced garlic in butter, then add a splash of heavy cream and the potatoes. Cook until the potatoes just start to fall apart. Finish with freshly minced thyme, butter, and grated asiago.

sounds delicious.

Cut fingerlings into one 3/4 inch slices. In large bowl mix 1/2 T chives, 1/2 T thyme, 1/2 T oregano with 2 T of olive oil and fresh cracked pepper and salt. Toss taters and roast in oven at 425 for 20 minutes. Awesome! You can find more recipes here.

sounds yummy...

boil them up whole (put the biggest in 1`st) then drain and cut them in half and toss them with salted butter and chopped parsley.

I`d just eat them like that with nothing else :)

roasted in duck or chicken drippings (fat) or wrapped in bacon and roasted. THey are a creamy texture and respond well to such treatment.

nobody had to ask what is chicken saltimbocca? - i'm impressed! i looked it up, and will surely be trying some saltimbocca my own self soon. the fingerling potatoes cry out to be boiled, buttered and parslied, whole. other than that, i would be tempted to add duck fat to these potatoes no matter how they are sliced, cut, fried or baked. and yes, by all means, leave those colorful skins ON....

Back
Top Bottom