What to do with small eggplants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
This is the second year Im growing this variety of eggplant. They are slightly bigger than eggs. They grow very well and are very productive this year.

I bought them to use in a few Indian recipes, but I will have far more than I need and I want to try other things with them.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd appreciate it.
Although Indian or Indian-Like recipes welcome, Im also looking for variation.

I dont necessarily need the recipes, although I welcome them. Even just suggestions and Ill do the legwork myself.

My guess is I'll get another 50 or so.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.44.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.44.08 PM.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 305
Larry, You can use those in any recipes using eggplants cut up in pieces - ratatouille and caponata are two that come to mind right away. And I just made a Mexican based grain dish, started with cooking down a chipotle/morita purée in some sautéed onions and garlic, tossing two cut up EPs in the sauce, to absorb some of the flavors, then adding whole oats and water, and cooking until oats are done. I've put EPs in similar creole type dishes. Last, from just 6 plants, I always have more than I can eat or give away, so I dry them - I cut them slightly larger than normal, then dehydrate them completely - 1 lb dries to about 1.35 oz. To use in dishes, I soak it for at least 1 hr in hot water, then add to soups, curries, and the like.

In the Pilippines, those are called Japanese eggplant, and they are used in many recipes, including omelettes, adobo, and chicken and eggplant stir fry.

Interesting, I had no idea that there are so many varieties of Eggplant!

https://www.myrecipes.com/ingredients/types-of-eggplant

As well, ways to use them, each with different textures and tastes.
Interesting.
I might need to re-visit some of these.
I never thought I liked eggplant because I had only had eggplant Parmesan and I just didn't like the texture. Since I've been getting into Turkish food over the last few years, I decided to try baba ghanoush, the Middle Eastern grilled eggplant dip/spread. It's quite good, although it's a bit time-consuming to prepare - you grill eggplants and other vegetables till tender, let them cool, deseed them and purée the insides with seasonings. Here's one recipe.
https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2014...uc-burnt-eggplant-salad-with-lemon-olive-oil/

Baba ghanoush is pretty much the only way I like eggplant. It is okay in mousaka, but for me, it has to be chopped up. Oh well, eggplant is a nightshade, so I won't be eating that for a while. I haven't actually tested if eggplant is one of those nightshades that bothers my arthritis. I'll wait until I can try a small amount that someone else has cooked. I hate wasting food.

Baba ghanoush is pretty much the only way I like eggplant. It is okay in mousaka, but for me, it has to be chopped up. Oh well, eggplant is a nightshade, so I won't be eating that for a while. I haven't actually tested if eggplant is one of those nightshades that bothers my arthritis. I'll wait until I can try a small amount that someone else has cooked. I hate wasting food.
I have a Greek cookbook that includes a variation of moussaka that uses zucchini instead of eggplant. I need to remember to try that this fall.

I have a Greek cookbook that includes a variation of moussaka that uses zucchini instead of eggplant. I need to remember to try that this fall.

I think moussaka is pretty much out for me. The version I used to make had aubergine, tomato, and potatoes - a veritable nightshade bomb. I know potatoes aren't necessary, but I haven't heard of any moussaka with no tomato. If I were to try and sub all three of those nightshades, I might get something delicious, but I wouldn't call it moussaka.

Ill probably pick another half dozen or so tomorrow . Ill be sure to run through the above list and try a few suggestions. Thanks!

A few of my larger eggplants should be ready too in a week or. Those will likely be sued for eggplant parm.

I think moussaka is pretty much out for me. The version I used to make had aubergine, tomato, and potatoes - a veritable nightshade bomb. I know potatoes aren't necessary, but I haven't heard of any moussaka with no tomato. If I were to try and sub all three of those nightshades, I might get something delicious, but I wouldn't call it moussaka.
Maybe we could reimagine it to get something similar. I've made this recipe and the watermelon was truly transformed.

https://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/country-style-pork-ribs-red-curry-braised-watermelon/

So you could make a lasagna/moussaka hybrid, with a layer of pasta, two layers of zucchini and a meat sauce made with watermelon instead of tomato.

I have 3 suggestions:

Ms. Mofet's Eggplant Parmesan

I think small eggplants would make nice little bite size eggplant parm appy's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caponatina - Italian appetizer (Family Recipe)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eggplant Stir Fry with Garlic Sauce

1 med. Eggplant
3 baby bok choy
1 (10 oz.) box mushrooms
1 med. onion
1 (14 oz.) box extra firm tofu
1 (3.75 oz.) bag Bean threads (soaked in hot water then added to pan last and mixed in)

Garlic Sauce

2 TBSP. rice vinegar
2 TBSP. granulated sugar (or turbinado, brown sugar or raw sugar)
1 TBSP. light soy sauce
1 TBSP. dark soy sauce
2 tsp. Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
1/2 tsp. chili sauce (or according to taste)
1/4 tsp. sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 TBSP. water
1 TBSP. vegetable oil (or peanut oil)
3 to 4 medium cloves garlic (finely chopped; or 4 teaspoons chopped garlic)

Last edited:
Wound up stuffing the first bunch .
Use Mediterranean herbs and spices to spice up some chopped meat ( veggie crumbles). and stuffed them and some tomatoes too.

The consistency was great, and absolutely no bitterness at all.

cant wait for the next bunch.

Back
Top Bottom