What's Your Favorite Way of Preparing Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poll - What's Your Favorite Way of Preparing Potaoes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ICadvisor said:
(I used to play with Mr & Mrs Potato Head all the time as a child, and I always had to resist the urge to put them in the Easy Bake Oven :ROFLMAO: - lol, just kidding!)

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Mashed with gravy, or:

Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes

Peel and boil potatoes until cooked through
Mash with sour cream (enough to make them moist throughout) and chives
Put in a greased (PAM works fine) casserole and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.

So good you won't believe it!

:) Barbara

Like Paula Dean, If I had to pick just one food to live off of, it would be potatoes. The only time I ate potatoes I didn't like was at a very nice restaurant, where they prepared them with fennel. :sick: Licorice is the only flavor than coffee that I just can't choke down.

Michael in FtW said:
My very favorite is Colcannon. My second favorite is any other way that's not burned or scorched.
Colcannon is (obviously) very popular in Ireland. I'm not a cabbage fan, so I prefer mine just with leeks. Major lol, to your second favourite way Michael :mrgreen:

In the mashed catagory - One of my favorites is a potato carrot whip with sauteed chunks of onions. Prepare potatoes and carrots and mash together. Add sauteed onion chunks. I also like mashed potatoes with green peas and cold sour cream on top.

Mish, the way my mom got me to eat peas when I was little was by making a "bird's nest" out of the mashed potatoes, and spooning the peas in the center like little green eggs. I still love my potatoes that way.

Constance said:
Mish, the way my mom got me to eat peas when I was little was by making a "bird's nest" out of the mashed potatoes, and spooning the peas in the center like little green eggs. I still love my potatoes that way.

Constance, if you like sour cream, try adding a cold dollop on top and some pearl onions with the peas. Real comfort food!

Twice baked potatoes

Doesn't anyone remember twice baked potatoes? They are my favorite served with prime rib. don't forget to add the garlic and cheese to the whipped potaotes.
I alos like oven roasted red skins with garlic, olive oil, rosemary and grated Parmesan.

Constance said:
I love to put hot creamed corn or creamed peas on my mashed potatoes, just like gravy. With regular corn or peas, I will get a fork-full of potatoes and press it into the corn or peas and eat them together.

Barbara L said:
With regular corn or peas, I will get a fork-full of potatoes and press it into the corn or peas and eat them together.

Thats the only way to eat mashed potatoes! I love that procedure.:LOL:

Isn't there something in some "culinary" handbook somewhere that says you're supposed to mix the other veges on you plate with your mashed potatoes? You put peas or corn on my plate with some mashed and they are going to get mixed together!

hash browns

One of my favorites is making hash browns with onions. The rule is, always bake a couple of extra potatoes for a delicious breakfast or supper side dish the next day. Here is the method for perfect shredded hash browns:

Perfect and easy Hash Browns, one serving:

1 large leftover baked potato (that's been refrigerated overnight).
1/2 medium onion, chopped or thinly sliced (optional)
oil
salt & pepper

Heat a small 6-8 inch frying pan with your choice of oil. If you're using cast iron, heat the pan first, and then add oil just before the potatoes. It should be hot and sizzle with a drip of water. I use the "3" setting on my electric stove.

While that's heating, grate your potato into a bowl, using a large or small grate surface--your choice. No need to peel the potato first. Lightly mix in the onion, if desired.

Put potato mixture in the hot pan, and press down firmly with a spatula. Drizzle a little more oil over the top of it and press down again.

Turn this only one time, when it is quite brown on the bottom, keeping it in one piece, which shouldn't be hard if the methods above are followed. When both sides are browned, slide onto a plate and enjoy!

Shelly in Ohio

Back
Top Bottom