Who Likes Canned Spinach and Canned Carrots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
I'm watching Paula Deen who is cooking with her son Bobby. And he openly admitted to eating canned spinich!!

These two canned veggies, I placed in the same category with saurkraut - three of the most horrible and repulsive foods that I will never touch!!

If the carrots or spinich aren't fresh or frozen, they will not be used or eaten by me!:sick:

Call me a food snob, but the thought of canned veggies in general turn my stomach. I will admit, though, to having no first-hand experience with canned spinach, and I plan to keep it that way.

BTW, after checking out some of Paula Deen's cookbooks at the bookstore, I decided that they were not for me. She uses way too many canned and processed foods. Again, call me a food snob, but her recipes seem stuck in a time warp. Anyone who's claim to fame hinges on, for example, a cake (gooey cake) that relies on a boxed cake mix -- with butter, cream cheese, and a pound of powdered sugar for good measure -- just doesn't qualify, IMO, as chef. I want fresh ingredients that I can taste, not a pile of sweetened, fatty stuff.

/rant.

Canned beans are OK but I really prefer to soak and cook them. Canned asparagus is the worst!

I use canned beans (kidney, pinto, garbanzo, etc.) when I don't have the time to use dried. But they aren't veggies. I don't like canned green beans, though.

I love the gooey butter cakes, as does everyone else I know. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it.
I also love canned asparagus spears...I eat'em right out of the can. And I much prefer canned green beans to frozen ones.
I like most canned vegetables, actually, although canned spinach isn't one of them.

I love the gooey butter cakes, as does everyone else I know. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it.
I also love canned asparagus spears...I eat'em right out of the can. And I much prefer canned green beans to frozen ones.
I like most canned vegetables, actually, although canned spinach isn't one of them.

Each to his own.

I like canned spinach. I just started making fresh spinach so haven't opened a can in quite a while, but it's in the cupboard if I need it. I much prefer it over frozen. I haven't had frozen spinach yet that wasn't salty or bitter, but that was quite a few years ago that I swore never to buy frozen again.
Canned veggies have their place if you can't get to the store all the time to buy fresh..... that will last a while.

I am with Connie on this one, love fresh but canned are used many days. Loved canned asparagus- cold too ! No spinach here any way cooked - just fresh ! :) Like Paula Deen too - have two cookbooks - :ohmy:

Last edited:
Call me a food snob, but the thought of canned veggies in general turn my stomach. I will admit, though, to having no first-hand experience with canned spinach, and I plan to keep it that way.

BTW, after checking out some of Paula Deen's cookbooks at the bookstore, I decided that they were not for me. She uses way too many canned and processed foods. Again, call me a food snob, but her recipes seem stuck in a time warp. Anyone who's claim to fame hinges on, for example, a cake (gooey cake) that relies on a boxed cake mix -- with butter, cream cheese, and a pound of powdered sugar for good measure -- just doesn't qualify, IMO, as chef. I want fresh ingredients that I can taste, not a pile of sweetened, fatty stuff.

/rant.

Another bonified fond user of canned veggies is Sandra Lee. She relies on them heavily, hence the name of her cooking show Semi-Homemade Cooking.

But it's not the canned veggies that urk me. I get so ticked off to no end when I see her using INSTANT GRAVY MIXES!! I mean, come on, how much trouble is it just to make homemade gravy?! Imagine the ridiculous amount of salt that's in that stuff!!

As for Paula, we can say that she never met a stick of butter that she din't like. That's how myself and my sisters started baking at home - with box cake mixes and instant ready-to-spread frosting. As a boy, I was ALWAYS in the kitchen because I was aways fastinated about cooking, intrigued and in awe!! My brothers would all take to the outide activities while I was in the kitchen cooking!

My first homemade cake was a pound cake, and even though it fell a little, it still tasted good, and each time I did it, it got beter and better! But as for canned veggies, the only ones that I use are corn, cream-style corn, peas, green beans and mixed veggies.

These also make great soups and stews as well as veggies for pot roast!

Last edited:
While I LOVE fresh veggies much more...
I will eat canned
corn
peas
spinach
and beans...

Canned carrots NO WAY!

And as a side note... I really don't like frozen veggies at all.

IThese two canned veggies, I placed in the same category with saurkraut - three of the most horrible and repulsive foods that I will never touch!!
I hope everyone keeps hating them because maybe the price for them will stay LOW and allow me to buy MORE MORE MORE!!!

Admittedly fresh is always better, but its not always available but the canned versions are and I love them. Even canned PEAS (a canning disaster) are worth having as long as something else is mixed to hide the taste and texture.

Sauerkraut is the best!

Long live canned veggies!

I can certainly use canned beans in a pinch, and even canned green beans are edible imo. Canned corn can be used in some recipes. Canned tomatoes are a staple item in my pantry. Jarred (not canned ) asparagus can be used in a salad, but even tired imported "fresh" is better peeled and blanched for that purpose. Fresh greens are in evidence at my supermarket all the time and are so much better than canned. Frozen chopped spinach is a useful staple for some dips and reipes.

This is similar to the "food snobbery" thread which has been around for a few days. I think each of us finds his or her own comfort level with cooking ingredients. I really don't like the chemical taste of cake mixes and haven't used one for about 40 years. But I do get a kick out of Paula Deen (when I'm in the states and can watch her). I get irked at all the processed foods on the "semi-homemade" program, but I still think that any kind of cooking at home is preferable to going out and getting fast food every night, like my old next-door neighbors. My hubby loves canned spinach and canned green beans - I don't care for them much. But in a pinch, I'll use a can of "Ensaladas Verduras" (salad vegetables consisting of corn, green beans, peas, diced potatoes and diced carrots) and add it to mixed greens, maybe some chopped ham, hard-boiled eggs, diced red onions, sliced olives - whatever else I have, with a honey-mustard dressing I make myself. Makes a pretty good quick cold dinner. The strange thing is, that alot of people who use processed products (Cool Whip, gravy mixes, etc) don't realize that it is not much more difficult to use the real thing, and it tastes SO much better. They just don't know how to do it, and no one has ever taught them.That's one of the things this board can do for its members - in a friendly and non-critical way. OK, I'll climb down off my soap box now.

i use canned green beans for green bean cassro. cause that is what my family likes, usually only for holiday meals.

love canned beans, specially small white beans. good size for 1 to 2 people. use in white chili always.

thats it. all the rest of fresh or frozen. i like frozen spinach and aspargus. corn , okra, use frozen carrots in stews and soups, if don't have fresh.

everything has a place and time.

babe:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I use canned beans (kidney, pinto, garbanzo, etc.) when I don't have the time to use dried. But they aren't veggies. I don't like canned green beans, though.

I like the canned legumes, I usually rinse them before use. I don't care for the canned veggies.

I don't care for canned spinach but have used it, you like it..That's great...Remember that each of us love foods, but each of us are different...I would never eat duck,rabbit,venison, but I'd not fault you for doing so..That would be rude and unkind..We need to remember when we post here that we are not sitting face to face so cannot tell how someone is feeling..Be kind and post your thoughts and ideas, but with the other persons feelings considered...

kadesma:)

Canned asparagus spears, baby beets, artichoke hearts for salads and antipasto, red kidney beans for chili, Le Sueur brand peas 'cause the dog and I love them, canned tomato paste, puree and crushed, black olives and green chilies.
Bottled red cabbage, saurkraut, mushrooms, 4 brothers alfredo, green olives, pepper rings.
Then I have canned tuna, chopped clams, whole clams, chicken and beef broth, evaporated milk
And for my neice and the dog and me two family size cans of SpaghettiOs. O M G !!! So sue me.
Never had canned spinach or carrots in the can though.

Last edited:
Ummm, are you all being mean about canned things? They can save your life and dinner in a pinch. No, they aren't the end all and be all, but they can save the day. Put your noses in the cupboard and your jaws in the, well, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom