Who Likes Canned Spinach and Canned Carrots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As an addendum to my previous comment, for many years I was highly allergic to cooked/processed carrots. Been that way since an infant. When my parents introduced strained to carrots to me as a baby, I had a violent reaction. Nearly died when in college after eating a meal that included cooked carrots. All through childhood and most of my adult life I had some serious reaction to anything other than fresh carrots. I steered clear of them. Couldn't eat carrot cake, picked carrots out of soups/stews, etc. When "vegetable medley" was on a restaurant menu as a side dish, didn't order it.

My daddy, a doctor, concluded that something in the cooking/heating process altered the carrots and caused my body to react negatively.

It's only been in recent years that I've been able to venture eating cooked or canned carrots. I only eat small bits and have been "lucky" so far. I really like the sweetness of cooked carrots. Especially with a beef or pork roast.

Katie, I think Popeye had a profound effect on my generation of kids (grew up in the 50s). For those who remember (Babe?), there was a cartoon prior to every movie, especially on Saturday afternoon matinees, which I never missed. I think Popeye and Bugs Bunny had all of us kids eating spinach and carrots. My mom used to serve canned spinach with a little vinegar sprinkled on it. We ate it all up!

I use canned corn (sweet and creamed), canned carrots, canned green beans, and canned mixed veggies at times. Just depends on what I am making and budgetary concerns at the time. Of course I prefer the fresh, but to me the canned stuff has its place especially in quick stews and soups or a fast meal, etc.
I won't touch canned peas, spinach, asparagus, or most of the other stuff.

As an addendum to my previous comment, for many years I was highly allergic to cooked/processed carrots. Been that way since an infant. When my parents introduced strained to carrots to me as a baby, I had a violent reaction. Nearly died when in college after eating a meal that included cooked carrots. All through childhood and most of my adult life I had some serious reaction to anything other than fresh carrots. I steered clear of them. Couldn't eat carrot cake, picked carrots out of soups/stews, etc. When "vegetable medley" was on a restaurant menu as a side dish, didn't order it.

My daddy, a doctor, concluded that something in the cooking/heating process altered the carrots and caused my body to react negatively.

It's only been in recent years that I've been able to venture eating cooked or canned carrots. I only eat small bits and have been "lucky" so far. I really like the sweetness of cooked carrots. Especially with a beef or pork roast.

That is wild, I think I have only heard of a couple of others that have the same problem though not the same veggie.

I can't imagine not being able to eat my baby carrots in brown sugar and butter!!

I don't care for canned spinach but have used it, you like it..That's great...Remember that each of us love foods, but each of us are different...I would never eat duck,rabbit,venison, but I'd not fault you for doing so..That would be rude and unkind..We need to remember when we post here that we are not sitting face to face so cannot tell how someone is feeling..Be kind and post your thoughts and ideas, but with the other persons feelings considered...

kadesma:)

AMEN!!!!!:)

I'm not going to say a word.:innocent: Well, other than what I just put!!:-p

...call me a food snob, but her recipes seem stuck in a time warp. Anyone who's claim to fame hinges on, for example, a cake (gooey cake) that relies on a boxed cake mix -- with butter, cream cheese, and a pound of powdered sugar for good measure -- just doesn't qualify, IMO, as chef. I want fresh ingredients that I can taste, not a pile of sweetened, fatty stuff.

That gooey butter cake and those time warp recipes have made her worth $20 million! :w00t:

I've just now read through the posts that followed a couple of mine yesterday. My impression is that some posters took exception to my opinion regarding the majority of canned veggies and of PD's talent as a chef. I spoke my mind without attacking anyone at all. Wasn't that the point of this thread and the forums in general?

I'm sure that I love many foods and am partial to some professional cooks that others dislike. Doesn't bother me a bit. That's what makes life interesting, IMO.

It doesn't matter to me... if the carrots are cooked, I generally will not eat them.
Unless they are SO cooked they have no taste, or are in really small pieces.
Canned spinach is just bitter. Don't like it either.

RAW, baby, RAW is the way to go, LOL!

Although I prefer canned green beans.

Canned beans - yes
frozen vegies - peas, corn, green beans (trader Joe's) spinach when I'm making dip otherwise fresh.

When we lived in Oregon my mother bought canned Santiam greeen beans and they were decent. Times have changed though and I may not feel that way if I had them today.

I hope everyone keeps hating them because maybe the price for them will stay LOW and allow me to buy MORE MORE MORE!!!

Admittedly fresh is always better, but its not always available but the canned versions are and I love them. Even canned PEAS (a canning disaster) are worth having as long as something else is mixed to hide the taste and texture.

Sauerkraut is the best!

Long live canned veggies!

Even if there was a little bit of saurkraut left in the pot and you wanted it, you'd get no argument from me. You can have it!:LOL:

I once canned two dozen quarts of sauerkraut - the house smelled for days, because it has to ferment in a crock. NO ONE in the family would eat it except me, and I ended up giving most of it to some German neighbors who loved it.

canned sauerkraut or corn is about all I buy for veggies.

Funny story about the spinach....
My Dad is from Chester, IL, home of Popeye. They have a statue, festival and everything.
Alton Brown stopped there on his trip up the Mississippi, I was so tickled because I knew exactly where everything he was talking about was!!!! Called Dad and everything.
Anyway they stopped at the park on the river where the statue is, and Alton hands the french guy a can of spinach, in honor of Popeye, and they all dig in. The facial expressions of them eating said spinach was just priceless!!!! I thought the french guy was going to hurl right on Popeye!!! I'm sure many of you saw it, but I have to say that's got to be some of the funniest blurb of tv I've ever seen!!!

BTW, I've never tried canned spinach. I think I won't bother!

There's lots of canned veggies I like - spinach is ok with a bit of vinegar. I don't think I've ever had canned carrots though. Canned sweet peas are a great memory from childhood. Canned green beans, canned corn, and oh, canned potatoes are GREAT if you fry them with your fried chicken - coat them with your chicken flour/seasoning and fry them right alongside - YUM!

This is a personal preference kind of thread where there are no right or wrong answers.

I cannot eat frozen green beans or frozen carrots - not even in soup - they taste very odd!

I used to like canned spinach. Never liked fresh or frozen.
Never like carrots canned, fresh or frozen.

I like canned green beans, corn, and potatoes
though I much prefer fresh potatoes.

;) Of course I prefer fresh over canned but as kid we grew up with mostly canned because thats what was available. Where I live it's hard to get anything more than the basics in fresh vegetables. I do like canned beets. green beans, corn, all the regular beans, tomatoes in all forms, mushrooms, baked beans, spinach and so on. I don't care for carrots or potatoes.Actually I love canned spinach and fresh but the canned I eat will eat all by it's self juice and all with some lemon and butter heated kind of like a soup. So sue me. Another thought is canned and frozen retain more vitamins even though cooked because it has not been shipped and held a long time were they start to lose their nutrition. Canned spinach is a comfort food for me.

I'm noticing.... with vinegar. I never heard of this. It must be a midwest thing. Even fresh cooked I've never heard of this.
What we grew up on seems to be the commonality here. And hard times seem to be had by all. Now veggies are global and year round. When someone tells you they ate corn in december, and not from a can, you gotta know they're too young to remember when you had to.

Quicksilver, you are so right. It seems to me that when I was a kid, the produce department at the grocery store had pretty slim pickings in winter - potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, rutabagas, turnips...no tomatoes, no lettuce, no strawberries. We used to get oranges and grapefruit from Florida around Christmas time. What a treat! My mom made lots of coleslaw, grated carrot salad, jello salad with canned fruit. We got a freezer in 1954 when I was 10 years old, and we got introduced to frozen vegetables. WOW!

So sue me.

Before I go to all the trouble could you please send me your investment portfolio and your tax returns for the past 7 years? :LOL:

The vinegar on spinach is a very common thing - also for collard greens. I don't know if it's a midwest thing or a southern thing or simply a "spinach thing" :LOL: And to top it off a lot of people will toss in a few sliced hot chili peppers OR you can buy vinegar with whole chili peppers in them and use that.

Back
Top Bottom