Why buy shallots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shallots may be similar to some white onions, but definitely not to all.

Each is decidedly different. If you really don't think so, get some of each and try them side by side in identical preparations.

I like shallots best when served whole in a stew, or in Beef bourguignon. I usually pickle them for Christmas time....they're easier to get in the jars than the normal size onions...:brows:
p.s. they are sweeter though

americans do not buy shallots as a rule.......but if you tell us to, we will..and my goodness they are wonderful....I won't even repeat what my father would say if he were alive today........yes, go with the shallots.....I do so envy your "stir fry veggies" combos........I want to live and die in your counry

americans do not buy shallots as a rule
I am not sure I would agree with that. My supermarket carried shallots right next to the onions and garlic. I see them being bought just as often as the other items in that isle.

I love shallots. They have a delicate and subtle flavor. To me they are similar to onions, but different. If I could not find shallots then I would not hesitate to use regular onions, but I would understand that my final result, while being close, will not be exactly how it would have been had I used shallots.

I buy and use shallots, but if I'm out and the recipe calls for it, I use Vidalia onions in the same amount. I think it is a good substitute, but I mostly buy sweet onions not yellow or white.

Hi,

When you cook onion and shallots it smells different. You could try when you fry it too. And it is too good for your health as well. In south India, Kerala, no household can live without shallots to make a good curry. In western dishes, it might be true onions will be ok, but in kerala dishes shallots is a necessity.

americans do not buy shallots as a rule.......but if you tell us to, we will.

I think you're wrong and right!

Just the fact that the little rural grocery that I shop at has shallots says a lot about whether Americans buy them or not. They may not have fresh basil, but they always have shallots.

That said, left to their own devices and traditions, most Americans probably wouldn't buy them. However, we do love our cookbooks, cooking shows and magazines. With so many recipes calling for their use, they've become a common ingredient here.

Shallots are just another food that has been introduced as a result of the food revolution in this country. Now they are in more general use. Twenty years ago they were relatively unknown.

The same can be said for sun-dried tomatoes, wines as a beverage and in cooking, expanded varieties of potatoes, and so many others.

Back
Top Bottom