"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Add some chioggia beets to that plate to take the pretty factor up a notch:
https://parade-com.cdn.ampproject.or...ioggia-beet%2F

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #82
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Add some chioggia beets to that plate to take the pretty factor up a notch:
https://parade-com.cdn.ampproject.or...ioggia-beet%2F
Those are absolutely beautiful. But the only place I've ever seen them is on the internet.

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:19 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I didn't say talking about veggies we don't like isn't interesting. The title, though, is "yuk to veggies." Like - all veggies. Seeing the title makes me sad. That's all.
I feel the same way about the title of this thread.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Same here. There are several pages of great ideas, but the title is off-putting....
Old 01-02-2019, 12:04 AM   #85
Executive Chef

I find myself not making as many side salads these days. I only buy pre-packaged salad mixes anyways. "Mainly Romaine" is always my choice. I was turned off by some major makers of salad packs not rinsing all the dirt off before packaging. That didn't help. I bought a salad spinner and used it on that company's bad tasting salad package. After one thorough spinning, the salad still had a dirt taste to it. I expect major makers of salad packs to rinse their salad thoroughly so that I don't have to salad spin them.

As some have mentioned, you should rinse packaged salads anyways just to be safe from food born pathogens. You can rinse spin packaged salad and still get food poisoning. I should, but don't usually spin rinse packaged salads (if they do a good job at rinsing before packaging). I know, I'm taking my chances.

There are only a few nationally known brands of packaged salads. One of them let me down big time (dirt taste remained after rinse spinning).
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #86
Senior Cook

Iím finding itís not necessarily the vegi I donít like but maybe itís prep.
Say instead of boiled now we roast some with spices or Iíll add them as ingredients to my soups but not sit and eat them raw. So sometimes if you donít like it you just havenít had it good yet and there are a good handful left in that list for me
Old 01-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #87
Certified Pretend Chef

This thread was started asking you all to list the veggies you don't like. Thus the title.

If anyone wants to start a thread about the veggies you love, go for it.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This thread was started asking you all to list the veggies you don't like. Thus the title.

If anyone wants to start a thread about the veggies you love, go for it.
That's not what my comment is about, but okay...
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #89
Executive Chef

Sorry if I tangented out.

If there's a track to get back on, sorry for getting off track.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #90
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I find myself not making as many side salads these days. I only buy pre-packaged salad mixes anyways. "Mainly Romaine" is always my choice. I was turned off by some major makers of salad packs not rinsing all the dirt off before packaging. That didn't help. I bought a salad spinner and used it on that company's bad tasting salad package. After one thorough spinning, the salad still had a dirt taste to it. I expect major makers of salad packs to rinse their salad thoroughly so that I don't have to salad spin them.

As some have mentioned, you should rinse packaged salads anyways just to be safe from food born pathogens. You can rinse spin packaged salad and still get food poisoning. I should, but don't usually spin rinse packaged salads (if they do a good job at rinsing before packaging). I know, I'm taking my chances.

There are only a few nationally known brands of packaged salads. One of them let me down big time (dirt taste remained after rinse spinning).
I wash packaged salad. In fact I wash all of my veggies, even the ones that say "washed and ready to eat."

Quote:
Sorry if I tangented out.

If there's a track to get back on, sorry for getting off track.
No, it wasn't you. They're talking about something else
Old 01-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #91
Head Chef

I have a veg that I developed a love/then hate/then kinda-once-in-a-while relationship with.

One of my favorite vegetables used to be asparagus. I could eat the stuff every day and not get tired of it. However, several years ago, it just so happened to be the very last thing I ate before I became horribly sick with the flu. After that, I couldn't even LOOK at asparagus without gagging. And it lasted years.

Then one day I decided I would very slowly try to incorporate it back into my regular diet. The first time I could only eat a tiny bit, then had to stop. Then I eventually worked my way up to a normal sized serving. However, to this day, I can only eat it maybe once every 6 months.

It's bizarre how your brain can suddenly put you off of certain foods, especially if you get sick not long after you've eaten it or while you're eating it. For example, my son's Aunt gorged herself once on shrimp (she used to love it) and ate so much that she made herself sick. To this day she won't go anywhere near it.

So yeah, I guess I have to add asparagus to my "kind of like, but not really all that much" list.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #92
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
I have a veg that I developed a love/then hate/then kinda-once-in-a-while relationship with.

One of my favorite vegetables used to be asparagus. I could eat the stuff every day and not get tired of it. However, several years ago, it just so happened to be the very last thing I ate before I became horribly sick with the flu. After that, I couldn't even LOOK at asparagus without gagging. And it lasted years.

Then one day I decided I would very slowly try to incorporate it back into my regular diet. The first time I could only eat a tiny bit, then had to stop. Then I eventually worked my way up to a normal sized serving. However, to this day, I can only eat it maybe once every 6 months.

It's bizarre how your brain can suddenly put you off of certain foods, especially if you get sick not long after you've eaten it or while you're eating it. For example, my son's Aunt gorged herself once on shrimp (she used to love it) and ate so much that she made herself sick. To this day she won't go anywhere near it.

So yeah, I guess I have to add asparagus to my "kind of like, but not really all that much" list.
Same exact experience with Mexican fried peppers ( basically breaded peppers ( kinda like when making eggplant Parmesan). then using salsa as the sauce and cheese melted on top ( I used Montery Jack Cheese). Anyway, I was sick with Meningitis for a few weeks, 105 + temp for 2 weeks, lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks , among other symptoms including loss of taste, which was a real treat. When I finally got my taste back and desire to eat again, I broke my sick induced fast which these Mexican fried peppers ( not the smartest thing to do coming off of 2 weeks of jello), and I immediately threw it all up, and hadn't eaten it since ( about 30 years ago). Even the thought of it makes my stomach turn.

I haven't eaten jello since then either .
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #93
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Same exact experience with Mexican fried peppers ( basically breaded peppers ( kinda like when making eggplant Parmesan). then using salsa as the sauce and cheese melted on top ( I used Montery Jack Cheese). Anyway, I was sick with Meningitis for a few weeks, 105 + temp for 2 weeks, lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks , among other symptoms including loss of taste, which was a real treat. When I finally got my taste back and desire to eat again, I broke my sick induced fast which these Mexican fried peppers ( not the smartest thing to do coming off of 2 weeks of jello), and I immediately threw it all up, and hadn't eaten it since ( about 30 years ago). Even the thought of it makes my stomach turn.

I haven't eaten jello since then either .
I can see why you wouldn't touch the Jello again

I won't talk too much about the above foodstuff that made you sick, but it's definitely not something I've ever heard of before. I can see why something like that wouldn't agree with you.

Quick! Think ice cream!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #94
Executive Chef

A vintage Jello ad campaign way back would have everyone putting their leftover vegetables into Jello. That's going a bit far, Jello corp. Actually, isn't there a Jello recipe where you put carrot strings into green Jello? I think I've seen that, had that. Not sure. My my, what would we do without cattle hoove's keratin being turned into Jello? Anyone make Jello anymore? I remember you had to bring it to a boil, then cool it down in the fridge. Jello originated from animal fingernails.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #95
Head Chef

Quote:
A vintage Jello ad campaign way back would have everyone putting their leftover vegetables into Jello. That's going a bit far, Jello corp. Actually, isn't there a Jello recipe where you put carrot strings into green Jello?

I digress.
Yes. I remember seeing all that weird stuff in one of my mom's cookbooks when I was a kid.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
A vintage Jello ad campaign way back would have everyone putting their leftover vegetables into Jello. That's going a bit far, Jello corp. Actually, isn't there a Jello recipe where you put carrot strings into green Jello? I think I've seen that, had that. Not sure. My my, what would we do without cattle hooves turned into Jello?
You reminded me of one reason I was skeptical of my cooking class in junior high school. It was some dish with green jello, shredded carrots, and cottage cheese. I think there were sliced olives too. It was called "under the sea salad". It was at least as bad as it sounds.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #97
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You reminded me of one reason I was skeptical of my cooking class in junior high school. It was some dish with green jello, shredded carrots, and cottage cheese. I think there were sliced olives too. It was called "under the sea salad". It was at least as bad as it sounds.
LOL...I could not stand that stuff...

Ross
Old 01-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire

Who has ever eaten Tomato Aspic? My mother used to make it when I was a kid and I thought it was gross.

She made it in a fancy mold with unflavored gelatin, and her "secret " Snappy Tom instead of tomato juice. I think it was suppose to be an ode to a Bloody Mary without the booze. Sorry Mom.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

To All Moms that gave us kids some horror stories to tell of food you served us.

We know it was the craze of the times, and you just wanted to serve us healthy food and not be wasteful. But no matter what, we never stopped loving you. Just the fact that we are still here today, and not in a hospital bed, speaks volumes of your love for your family and concern for their wellbeing.

Thank you Moms, wherever you are.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #100
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post

That's actually pretty common. People often associate bad illness experiences with what they, well, hurled (Wayne's World mod). I had food poisoning once (from a breakfast buffet in Las Vegas). Those sausage links looked a little pink, but I ate them, anyway (we need a facepalm emoji). It took me several years before I could eat breakfast sausage links. To this day, I order sausage patties -- well done!

CD

Tags
egg, veggies