Yuk To Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
As a kid, we would pull a carrot, break off a beat, string bean, etc, wash it off under the hose and eat it right then. But our taste buds change over the years. Now veggies I loved as a kid, I don't even want to see them on my plate.

Parsnips, Kale, most any leafy veggie except spinach, green beans, yet I will eat them if they are frozen and French cut. Certain lettuces are also on my list of foods I never will touch. As a kid, I only ate the top of the broccoli. Now I eat the whole stalk. Boiled cabbage is no longer a veggie I will eat. And yet I ate it all the time with a boiled dinner.

So folks. Fess up. What veggies will we never see on your plate. :wacko:

For me, it is carrots. I just don't like them.

I don't like cooked cabbage, either, although I like coleslaw, and I like sauerkraut on a good hot dog.

CD

Lima beans, although I don’t think they’re a veggie, technically. And celery, unless it’s diced very small and used as an ingredient, like in gumbo.

Well, Im in a situation, cause if I give up or limit my veggie intake, Ill starve :)

My trend is actually adding more veggies to my diet as Ive gotten older, but there are still a few that I just never acquired a taste for.

Collard greens - I haven't found a vegetarian way to make this edible.
Radishes - If sliced thinly ( and I mean really thin) I can tolerate them in a salad.
Pumpkin - I eat all kinds of squashes, but I think there is a stigma in my mind about eating pumpkin.
Dandelion Greens - Bitter and taste miserable. I wish I liked them cause of the easy access
Cardoon - I had never heard of it until watching a cooking show on TV. My wife decided to buy and cook it up one day. Not sure if it was the vegetable or just her lousy ability as a cook, but we haven't eaten it since.
Carrots and peas - I love raw,dont mind them cooked in soups to stews, but done like them cooked by themselves as a side dish.
Mushrooms - ( not technically a veggie, I guess) Absolutely love them cooked, don't like raw
Peppers - I like the flavor, but. I dont like actually eating them. So, Ill usually cut them up into big chunks, so I can cook with them, extract the flavors then easily fish out.
Kale - Im on the fence. Sometimes I like it, sometimes, not so much. Now that I am using baby kale, I seem to be doing a better job cooking it.
Maxixe - Not sure if they have another name or not . A friend from Brazil sent me the seeds ( as she knew I liked gardening and trying new things). They grew rather well, and I got a plentiful amount, but they were like small, spiky, sour little cucumbers. Or, to sum it up, tasted like crap.
Romaine lettuce - I wouldn't say I hate it, they are just too stemmy for me. Although, I once had them grilled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled over it at a restaurant, and that was pretty good.

Things I have learned to like as an adult:
Brussel Sprouts , raw tomatoes

One of my hobbies is trying new fruits and veggies. Anytime Im in a market, if I see something I don't recognize, I pick it up, do a little research , and try it. Its kinda my way of exploring the world without leaving the kitchen.

Lima beans, although I don’t think they’re a veggie, technically. And celery, unless it’s diced very small and used as an ingredient, like in gumbo.

I forgot about lima beans. Yeah. they get a big YUK from me. I also don't like most kinds of beans except the ones used to make Boston Bakes Beans.

For me, it is carrots. I just don't like them.

I don't like cooked cabbage, either, although I like coleslaw, and I like sauerkraut on a good hot dog.

CD

I am with you on the coleslaw and sauerkraut. But carrots are one of my favorite food. When I am planning a meal for just the two of us, I plan a very large potato cut in half, but five or more carrots. I get to eat them all. Pirate hates them.

My mother used to mash my carrots into my mashed potatoes for me and season with S&P. I still do that today. And I did it for my kids as they were growing up. I told them they were having orange mashed potatoes. The store didn't have the white ones. Silly kids. They thought they were sweet potatoes. Which they loved. The oldest kid spilled the beans when she realized what I was doing.

Most folks know I detest brussel sprouts. :devilish:
I really don't like lima beans or garbanzo beans. In fact I'm not fond of most beans. White beans and black beans are the best of the beans camp.Green beans need bacon help.

I also don't like any winter squashes as the texture is just wrong to me. I feel the same about sweet potato and yam.
I'm not fond of the trendy "field greens" for salads. They stick to my teeth. Ick. Iceberg lettuce is a waste of chewing. It's tasteless or sometimes bitter.

Peas should not be cooked, only defrosted. Canned vegetables except for tomatoes will never see my pantry.

I like most everything else I've tried and asparagus, along with brocolinni are my favorites.

Last edited:
I dont like cooked brussel sprouts, but I loved roasted with hazelnuts and bacon.

I can't think of any veggies that I don't like, as long as they are not improperly prepared. I think a lot of people overcook veggies and then don't like them. Overcooked brussel sprouts are pretty rank, but I like them nuked just enough to get a fork into them, and really like them tossed with EVOO, salted and roasted. The only veggie I deliberately overcook is sweet potato, as I think the taste improves significantly when it starts to soften.

Cauliflower
Beets
Lima beans
Whole chick peas (OK in Hummus)
Kale (by association, never actually had it)
Rhubarb

No doubt there are others I don't recall at the moment.

I do like brussels sprouts.

No matter how you cook 'em, Brussels sprouts are evil and disgusting. I don't care for kale but can choke it down if need be. I can also choke down sweet potato if it's not covered in brown sugar and marshmallows. Most other veggies I'm OK with.

Cauliflower
Beets
Lima beans
Whole chick peas (OK in Hummus)
Kale (by association, never actually had it)
Rhubarb

No doubt there are others I don't recall at the moment.

I do like brussels sprouts.

Cauliflower. My first husband loved it, I can't stand to even have it in my home. So every so often he would buy a head and prepare it to his liking. I refused to eat it. I do like Rhubarb Pie.

No matter how you cook 'em, Brussels sprouts are evil and disgusting. I don't care for kale but can choke it down if need be. I can also choke down sweet potato if it's not covered in brown sugar and marshmallows. Most other veggies I'm OK with.

An curse on mankind. Also the green string bean casserole. Some foods need to be presented just as they are.

Not crazy about over doctored veggies, if you have to put that much stuff on them to make them palatable to you, you probably don't like them.

Things that don't hit my plate:
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Kale
Parsnips
Over cooked cabbage

There were things I didn't like as a child, but like now, for an obvious reason: back then, they were canned vegetables, or, if they weren't canned, cooked to death! The reason so many people don't like brassicas! Cooking veggies to death was the norm, back then.

There is one vegetable I can't eat: beets. Simply put, they taste like dirt to me. I think it is a genetic thing, like the cilantro gene causing that to taste like soap to some people. I even tried growing different varieties, but they all had the taste. I met somebody recently that said that they had the same experience, and we both said "so it's not just me!".

My uncle HATED cauliflower his entire life, until my mom got him to try the cauliflower au gratin I fixed for all of our family get togethers. He finally tried it, to shut her up, and immediately he said "This isn't cauliflower. This is one of those weird vegetables you grow in your garden. Cauliflower couldn't taste like this!" After that, the first thing he'd say to me when he'd see me at all these gatherings was "You brought some of that weird stuff in the cheese sauce, right?" He'd get us laughing every time, even though we'd know it was coming.

There were things I didn't like as a child, but like now, for an obvious reason: back then, they were canned vegetables, or, if they weren't canned, cooked to death! The reason so many people don't like brassicas! Cooking veggies to death was the norm, back then.
Amen.

Years ago, I had a friend over for dinner, and served brussel sprouts. He politely put two on his plate. After the first bite, it was "These are brussel sprouts? I've only had them when they smelled like overcooked cabbage!" He became a brussel sprouts fan.

Cauliflower - cut into florets and roast, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Yum!

Vegis I won't eat because of the taste:
#1 khaki coloured peas. I don't care how they got that colour, canned or just plain overcooked. I can't stand them. Never could. I'm fine with fresh or frozen lightly cooked peas. I love eating raw peas out of the shell.

Squash, with the exception of spaghetti squash and zucchini. I can handle those, but I do not enjoy them.

Overcooked cabbage. I don't even want to be in the same room as cabbage rolls. The smell kills me. I don't know what was different about the kåldolmar (Swedish cabbage rolls) that my grandmother made, other than no tomato sauce. Those were good.

I am interested in giving lima beans another try. I used to detest them, so I have avoided them for decades. But, I like the marinated fava beans that I have had in a Greek resto, so maybe.

Some veg I only like as an ingredient, usually chopped small:
Eggplant, but for some reason, I really like baba ghanoush.
Big pieces of bell pepper. I enjoy them julienned in a salad or as an ingredient in pasta sauce or on pizza.
Spinach

I don't like bitter vegis: dandelion greens, broccolini, bok choy, most wild greens. I won't complain if they are served to me, but I won't buy them at the store or order them in a resto.

Kåldolmar, the cabbage is first lightly cooked to soften, then wrapped around the meat and then brushed with sirap ( Swedish form of golden syrup with no brunt taste), butter and soy and then baked. That is heaven on a plate and I cant eat it cause my belly cant handle that much cabbage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom