Yuk To Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kåldolmar, the cabbage is first lightly cooked to soften, then wrapped around the meat and then brushed with sirap ( Swedish form of golden syrup with no brunt taste), butter and soy and then baked. That is heaven on a plate and I cant eat it cause my belly cant handle that much cabbage.
Do you have a good recipe for kåldolmar? I'm going to guess that my farmor didn't use soy in hers, not back in the 1950s and '60s.

There were things I didn't like as a child, but like now, for an obvious reason: back then, they were canned vegetables, or, if they weren't canned, cooked to death! The reason so many people don't like brassicas! Cooking veggies to death was the norm, back then.

Yup. When I was a kid in the sixties, our family ate mostly canned veggies. Then, my mom would cook them into a mushy, flavorless pulp.

I do use canned tomatoes, when I can't get good fresh tomatoes, which is most of the year.

Frozen vegetables are fine, too, for the most part. I generally only use frozen veggies as an ingredient in something like a soup or stew.

BTW, it seems a lot of people don't like Brussels sprouts. I've had Brussels sprouts cooked by talented chefs that have been wonderful. But, they are very unforgiving veggies for cooks. They also need to be paired well on a plate of food. What you eat them with is important, IMO.

CD

Amen.

Years ago, I had a friend over for dinner, and served brussel sprouts. He politely put two on his plate. After the first bite, it was "These are brussel sprouts? I've only had them when they smelled like overcooked cabbage!" He became a brussel sprouts fan.

Cauliflower - cut into florets and roast, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Yum!

I agree. The best way to eat cauliflower is roasted. I coat mine with good olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast -- usually with other vegetables.

CD

I am not a big fan of canned veggies except for French Cut green beans. I only eat them when sautéed in olive oil with garlic, onions and mushrooms. I usually buy my veggies fresh, ( beets, carrots with tops, etc.) beets, and of course potatoes. The rest I buy frozen.

Thank you for the great responses folks. I never thought I would get such a response. Great information. If you show up at my door, no Brussels sprouts.

Last edited:
There are few vegetables I don't eat/like. I grew up in a household that "you eat what is put in front of you," but I really like nearly all vegetables.

At an early age I did have some negative responses to some veggies.

I was also, severely allergic to cooked carrots and horseradish. I almost died as an infant from strained carrots. Good thing my father was a doctor and could save me.

At any rate, after years of life, I can now eat anything that includes cooked carrots, such as carrot cake, etc.

Horseradish.....I can do without it and find there are other things to eat.

Cauliflower
Beets
Lima beans
Whole chick peas (OK in Hummus)
Kale (by association, never actually had it)
Rhubarb

No doubt there are others I don't recall at the moment.

I do like brussels sprouts.
Beets! I forgot about beets! I won’t even let them be cooked in my home. They taste like dirt, and when they’re cooking they smell even worse!

Mark likes ‘em, but he’s only allowed to cook them when I’m not home.

Joel, ya gotta try grated beets and grated fresh horseradish. It's delicious as it clears your sinuses if you add enough horseradish.

There are very few veggies that I don't like. I prefer raw carrots over cooked, but I will eat cooked ones from time to time, if it works in the dish such as pea soup, Bolognese sauce, or fried rice.

For the few veggies that I don't like, my dad taught me to add Worcestershire sauce. It makes any veggie edible, be they overcooked, or not very fresh, or just gross.

Either Worcestershire sauce, or mixing into mashed potatoes with a lot of butter.

Both work well.

Although, I would be remiss to limit Worcestershire sauce to be a mere crutch for crappy veggies.

It is amazing with fresh tomatoes. Leave your salt shaker on the shelf and bring a small bottle of Worcestershire sauce the next time you venture into your veggie garden when they come to fruition. Like an al fresco Bloody Mary, but better.

I've always said that there is nothing I have ever put in a Thai curry that I didn't like, and I could almost say the same for things I put in chipotle sauce.

I am so sad at the lack of love for Brussels sprouts! :cry: Unless they are overcooked (which does not happen on my watch), they are good. Nevermind, B-sprout haters. More for us who like them. :-p

I think I can honestly say I do not hate any veggies. The only veggie we do not eat is curly kale. I have never been able to prepare it any way that doesn't result in a product that requires us to act like cows chewing our cuds. I also do not buy dinosaur/Tuscan kale, since it's always overpriced by us. $3.99 a pound for kale? Bah, humbug.

Lol, no. That's when mashed and butter comes into play. As a substrate.

My youngest daughter HATED peas, but loved pea soup. Go figure. I would give her two peas. On hidden in her mashed potatoes and one in sight. Sure enough she would always find the one in her mashed potatoes.

For a snack, I love to cook up a few fresh beets and keep them in the fridge. Then when I am looking for something to knosh on, a beet in one hand and the slat shaker in the other.

Beets! I forgot about beets! I won’t even let them be cooked in my home. They taste like dirt, and when they’re cooking they smell even worse!

Mark likes ‘em, but he’s only allowed to cook them when I’m not home.

So was that Borscht you were going to attempt to make a few weeks ago a No go ?? ;)

Although, I would be remiss to limit Worcestershire sauce to be a mere crutch for crappy veggies.

It is amazing with fresh tomatoes. Leave your salt shaker on the shelf and bring a small bottle of Worcestershire sauce the next time you venture into your veggie garden when they come to fruition. Like an al fresco Bloody Mary, but better.

Although not wasn't Worcestershire they used, this reminds me of a time I went to Chinese restaurant in West Virginia. Surprising to me they had a decent vegetarian menu ( including vegetarian hot and sour soup, ). But even more surprising is they had Brussel Sprouts, stir fried until they were crispy, served with a balsamic vinegar / soy sauce reduced sauce. It was both sweet and salty, and had a nice crisp to it. By far, the best Brussel sprouts I've ever eaten.

I love most veggies, but I can't stand kale and most greens. Also those field greens that so many restaurants are obsessed with these days in order to make their salads healthier. I can't stand that stuff. I want a salad made with iceberg and/or romaine as opposed to that junk I could go pick out of my own back yard. But finding a salad in a restaurant made without field greens is tough.

Although not wasn't Worcestershire they used, this reminds me of a time I went to Chinese restaurant in West Virginia. Surprising to me they had a decent vegetarian menu ( including vegetarian hot and sour soup, ). But even more surprising is they had Brussel Sprouts, stir fried until they were crispy, served with a balsamic vinegar / soy sauce reduced sauce. It was both sweet and salty, and had a nice crisp to it. By far, the best Brussel sprouts I've ever eaten.

Mmm, that sounds good, El Aurens. I have a bottle of balsamic vinegar that I'm planning on reducing to use on salads. A combo with soy sauce on veggies sounds really good.

I love most veggies, but I can't stand kale and most greens. Also those field greens that so many restaurants are obsessed with these days in order to make their salads healthier. I can't stand that stuff. I want a salad made with iceberg and/or romaine as opposed to that junk I could go pick out of my own back yard. But finding a salad in a restaurant made without field greens is tough.
This struck me as funny because this is the salad I pick in my backyard [emoji38] 1218181623b.jpg

Every time I see this thread topic, I feel a little sad, because I love most vegetables and I'd rather think about new ways to use the ones I like instead of talking about the ones I don't :(

That said, I don't like beets, turnips or eggplant, or bitter greens. I don't consider chard or bok choy to be bitter and I like those sautéed or stir-fried with aromatics and some kind of vinegar. I have quite a collection of vinegars.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom