Zucchini ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bo0pY

Cook
Anybody have any ideas what I can do with zuchinni? Im always looking for recipes. All I have so far is zuchinni bread.

OOPS I think thats in the wrong forum, sorry. Ill get used to this site sooner or later. ~~Boopy~~

Bo0pY said:
OOPS I think thats in the wrong forum, sorry. Ill get used to this site sooner or later. ~~Boopy~~
No problem BoOpy!:)

I'll move this to veggies (or Andy M. will).

We love zucchini stir fried with onions, kinda like they do in the Japanese restaurant where they cook on the table top. Just put a little oil in your pan and cut the zucchini and onion in thin strips and stir fry. You can add some toasted sesame seeds and a tiny dash of Asian sesame oil. It's really good.

I also like to use zucchini in squash casseroles. Usually with some cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup and some pepperidge farm stuffing mix.

Thanks to southerncooker

Hello my neighbor in NC, Im IN SC, thanks for the zuchinni idea. It sounds delicious and very simple. I really appreciate it.~~Bo0pY~~

veggie kabobs on the grill are tasty, mix it with your zuccini, and other veggies you like, add some italian dressing for some flavor. You could also layer it in a veggie casserole with some eggplant, onion, summer squash, various cheeses and seasonings, and a sauce that you like ( like a lasagna). Zuccini flowers are also great! You can fry them up like fritters (egg wash, flower, and fry).

flower = flour sorry about that

Last edited:
Trim the ends, cut them in half lengthwise, brush them and the pan with oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Roast in a 500F oven 12 minutes, turn and roast for another 12 minutes.

Greek Zucchini!!

Ingredients:
zucchini, sliced about ¼ inch thick
olive oil
green peppers
sliced black olives
onions
parsley, ground cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, dash sugar, garlic
canned tomatoes or tomato sauce

Directions:
Sauté onions, parsley, garlic in olive oil
add zucchini and green peppers,olives, and ground cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and sugar
stir for a few minutes and then add tomatoes or tomato sauce
cover and cook over low heat until soft.

Greek zucchini (had to type that several times - they're courgettes to me!) - just have to try that. My first thought was Kolokythopitta. But I'm not going to add a recipe for a Greek dish right after a recipe posted by pdswife! Do you have a recipe for this pie, pdswife? I have some fyllo pastry nestling at the back of my fridge just waiting to be used. I have a recipe already, but I'd feel honoured to be able to make one to a recipe by you!

Posted this a while ago, this is REALLY yummy!!

Also I like them stuffed, especially the round version.

variation1: chopped onion, garlic, mushrooms, inside of the zucchini, pancetta or bacon (all pre-sautèed with herbs of provence and a dash of pepper... if you like add some salt, I usually don't, pancetta and parmigiano provide enough salt for us), flat leaf parsley, parmigiano or grana padano, bread crumbs.

Precook the emptied zucchini(courgette) shell first in the oven, covered, for about half an hour at 180°C/350°F.

Stuff the shells with well mixed filling, put them back in the oven, put back the cover and cook for another 15 minutes, then take it off, turn the oven to broil, sprinkle the top with more parmigiano and bread crumbs well mixed together, broil it until the toppings are golden brown.

variation2: chopped onion, garlic, inside of the zucchini, bell peppers, shredded carrots, spicy sausage(crumbled) --all pre-sautèed (condiments, see version 1), with a bit of white wine and a bay leaf added... and parboiled rice, flat leaved parsley. (make sure there is enough liquid, juice from the vegs&wine for the rice to be cooked in)

Stuff the shells with well mixed filling, if you use the round one, put back the cap on top, cook in the oven, covered, for about an hour or until the rice is done at 180°C/350°F.

Last edited:
I like them stuffed, too, although I don't pre-cook the shells. Just scoop out the seeds, spoon in some meaty chili or spaghetti sauce, top with cheese and bake for an hour at 350.

I'm on South Beach, so I have them just like that, but you could place them on top of platters of pasta or rice.

Lee

Buy a couple of aubergines, onions and use glut of tomatoes to add to the courgettes (cannot call them zucchini!) to make ratatouille - which freezes well, too :)

QSis said:
I like them stuffed, too, although I don't pre-cook the shells. Just scoop out the seeds, spoon in some meaty chili or spaghetti sauce, top with cheese and bake for an hour at 350.

It depends on the stuffing you put into. I don't precook them with the second version above. I do so with the first one because the stuffing is already fully cooked, and if you keep it in the oven for another 1 hour + it will get kind of dried out, so I came up with this technique, and it works.

Your version with chili or pasta sauce should be soupy enough, so your method should be fine:chef:

Snoop Puss said:
Greek zucchini (had to type that several times - they're courgettes to me!) - just have to try that. My first thought was Kolokythopitta. But I'm not going to add a recipe for a Greek dish right after a recipe posted by pdswife! Do you have a recipe for this pie, pdswife? I have some fyllo pastry nestling at the back of my fridge just waiting to be used. I have a recipe already, but I'd feel honoured to be able to make one to a recipe by you!

No... I'm sorry I don't.
My mil may though. She's the cook.
No recipes though. She just throws in a handful
of this and a handful of that and some how it all turns
out. I'll check with her. It may be a few weeks from
now though... she's very busy with her HUGE garden and three
grandkids.:):):):)

pdswife said:
She just throws in a handful
of this and a handful of that and some how it all turns
out. I

Sounds like just the way I do it! :)

Getting a bit late to start tonight (8.00 pm) where I am, but I'll maybe celebrate the start of the weekend by making one tomorrow. I'm bound to be popular if I do. I live on the ground floor of a small block of flats. All the neighbours have to walk past my kitchen window to get to the front door - when I'm cooking something especially good, I leave the blinds all the way up so everyone can see my handiwork! What a terrible show-off I am. Has its downsides too. Last time I made some, I ended up doing the Greek thing and gave lots of it away to the neighbours. And fyllo pastry is not easy to come by in Spain...

I just throw this two dishes together so the amounts for both are just approximates.

Zucchini Soup

Shred zucchini (with peel on) until you have about 2 cups.
Add about 1/2 cup chopped onion and about 1/2 cup finely chopped celery. Minced garlic is a nice addition. Salt and pepper (I prefer white pepper) to taste.

Simmer in chicken broth (amount desired to make the soup as you desire) until tender. Add cooked rice, about 1 cup, and heat through. Serve topped with a little parmesan cheese.

You probably could start by cooking rice in chicken broth to yiels about 1 cup of rice and then add the other ingredients, but I've always used leftover rice.

Turkey Sausage Zucchini Casserole

Brown 1 pound turkey sausage in a large skillet. Drain if needed and place in a large casserole that has been coated with cooking spray. Add about 2 cups cooked rice and about 8 oz. tomato sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. You want to see the sauce but you don't want it soupy. In the same skillet saute enough zucchini to yield about 3 cups cooked and 1 large slivered onion (cut from stem to root end and thinly slice so you have a piece of onion that looks like a parenthesis). Sliced fresh or canned mushrooms may be added. I usually add minced garlic and Italian seasoning. Salt and pepper if needed. When all veggies are tender layer on top of turkey sausage mixture. Pour 8 oz. tomato sauce on top and sprinkle with more Italian seasoning. Bake at 350* for about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake until mozzarella starts ot melt. Sprinkle with a little aprmesan. Return to oven for cheese to finish melting.

I like to cube some zucchini, mix it with a bit of rice and tomato sauce, seson it, dump the whole thing in a green pepper and bake it until it's soft. that's my simple version of a stuffed green pepper.

:) A simple way for zucchini is to saute some onions,add sliced zucchini.then some fresh garlic then some fresh tomato wedges sliced thin,.Finish off with a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice,sea salt and fresh ground pepper.After that maybe a little fresh parmesan.

I slice it lenghtwise (thin slices), grill both sides and make rolls with them, stuffing with a mixture of cream cheese and nuts. Then I arrange them in the place, around a little mountain of diced tomato and drizzle everything with thin pesto sauce. It's great both with zucchini and with eggplant!

Back
Top Bottom