Chilli sauce-help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although not a sauce, Wisconsin Cheese Mart carries a Monterey Jack cheese flavored with fresh Ghost Peppers. I just placed an order with them, & although tempted, decided not to waste my $ on something that might just blow the top of my head off with no additional flavors.

Anyone interested in some mint condition French carbines, circa 1941. They have never been fired and were only dropped once!:rolleyes:

Anyone interested in some mint condition French carbines, circa 1941. They have never been fired and were only dropped once!:rolleyes:
swap ya for a french tank,same year:eek:ne very careful owner,4 reverse gears & 1 forward...just in case they got attacked from behind:ROFLMAO:!

I'd like to respectfully protest the concept that ghost peppers add spice with "no flavor". Ghost peppers have some of the most complex flavors of any chili I have ever tried (and I make my own hot sauces).

I have used fresh and dried ghost peppers, there are hints of chocolate and sweetness and a completely different taste than any mexican peppers.

As far as being too spicy, its simply a matter of how you implement the pepper into a chili sauce. Dave's, for example, likely uses few other ingredients to bring out the flavors or dilute the spice. I make a "garden ghost sauce" using the dried peppers, roasted red bells, garlic, peppadews,etc. One of the most flavorful, and yeah, still hot, sauce.

I just don't like when something gets right beyond someones personal spice level and they claim it's "empty spice without flavor"

I'd like to respectfully protest the concept that ghost peppers add spice with "no flavor". Ghost peppers have some of the most complex flavors of any chili I have ever tried (and I make my own hot sauces).

I have used fresh and dried ghost peppers, there are hints of chocolate and sweetness and a completely different taste than any mexican peppers.

As far as being too spicy, its simply a matter of how you implement the pepper into a chili sauce. Dave's, for example, likely uses few other ingredients to bring out the flavors or dilute the spice. I make a "garden ghost sauce" using the dried peppers, roasted red bells, garlic, peppadews,etc. One of the most flavorful, and yeah, still hot, sauce.

I just don't like when something gets right beyond someones personal spice level and they claim it's "empty spice without flavor"
A friend of mine has a pepper sauce company. He makes a ghost pepper sauce and gave us a sample. We were too wimpy to try it, so we gave it to a friend who likes really, really hot food. He said it was very tasty.

Personally, I cannot taste food that is too hot for me, all I feel is pain and want it to stop. It doesn't matter if someone else can taste the nuances around the heat, I can't taste it. So yes, I am going to describe it as fire with no taste.

Personally, I cannot taste food that is too hot for me, all I feel is pain and want it to stop. It doesn't matter if someone else can taste the nuances around the heat, I can't taste it. So yes, I am going to describe it as fire with no taste.

No problem. In fact, I even apologize if I was offensive. But if you take offense when I say you can't "take the heat" please remember spice eaters take equal offense when you say "heat is not flavor". That is all I ask. And it does not seem like too much.

Harry: Mexican Chili Sauce

:yum: Harry,

I too am a " piquant " aficionada, as I love chili peppers, fresh and dry ...

I do have an old old recipe from Mexico 1980s where I had lived for two years. Let me see if I can find it and I would post it for you.

I am also a vindaloo woman ... aromatic, and just divine.

Margi. ;)

In Jamaica they had really tasty hot sauces to go with the jerk chicken. I saw one man take a huge mouthful - big mistake.

He swiped his kids lolly ices and had 2 of them stuck in his gob for a long time.

Hilarity ensued.

i like my chilli sauce hot & i was in the supermarket today & saw bottles of "daves ghost pepper sauce" which,according to the label is off the richter scale of insanely hot & had all kinds of warnings about children,eyes,don't eat it without food 'cos it can burn yada yada yada.as it's made in the states have any of you guy's tried it? is it that hot & dangerous? if so i'll buy some:ROFLMAO:! but i ain't putting the equivalent of $8 in mr tesco's already over stuffed coffers for a tiny bottle of sauce if it isn't going to dissolve my fillings:LOL:!!
harry
Harry, sorry mate but I only now saw this post. I have a bottle of Dave's Ghost Pepper (aka Naga Jolokia) Sauce in the fridge. I like to think I have a very high tolerance for fiery foods, but this is one sauce that scares me a bit. I actually bought it because many of the Thai restaurants around here season their food for American palates. Even the hottest level isn't that hot.

So I take my little bottle of ghost pepper sauce with me when I dine out and put a few drops in the food when it arrives. Seriously, TWO or THREE drops. That's it. It really is that hot. Any more than that, and the food is just not enjoyable.

Now I know there are those of us who like to puff out their chests and say things like "no sauce is too hot" but I guarantee this ghost pepper stuff is capable of inducing tears in even the most heat hardened individuals. I've witnessed it firsthand.

Oh, and I should also add that it isn't just empty heat. It does have a pleasant flavor, similar to habanero, which you taste up front just before the actual heat whollops you upside the head.

Last edited:
Harry, sorry mate but I only now saw this post. I have a bottle of Dave's Ghost Pepper (aka Naga Jolokia) Sauce in the fridge. I like to think I have a very high tolerance for fiery foods, but this is one sauce that scares me a bit. I actually bought it because many of the Thai restaurants around here season their food for American palates. Even the hottest level isn't that hot.

So I take my little bottle of ghost pepper sauce with me when I dine out and put a few drops in the food when it arrives. Seriously, TWO or THREE drops. That's it. It really is that hot. Any more than that, and the food is just not enjoyable.

Now I know there are those of us who like to puff out their chests and say things like "no sauce is too hot" but I guarantee this ghost pepper stuff is capable of inducing tears in even the most heat hardened individuals. I've witnessed it firsthand.

Oh, and I should also add that it isn't just empty heat. It does have a pleasant flavor, similar to habanero, which you taste up front just before the actual heat whollops you upside the head.
no probs steve.like the idea of using it to top up the heat in restaurants...i tend to find that in the thai restaurants over here too.no problem in the chinese & indian restaurants though.
interesting that you said it's got flavour too.guess i'll just have to buy some & let y'all know!
thanks steve
harry

Gourmet Greg said:
Beer is the best antidote to consuming food that is too hot. The carbonation helps.

I saw Alton Brown on his food science show putting to the test water, beer, and milk with the food techs and hot stuff. The carbonation in the beer actually spreads the hot stuff around, making it more painful! Dairy was the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom