Country Gravy - Keeps getting Lumpy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two ideas.

One, it sounds like the roux may not have fully made before the milk was added. I would make sure you had a roux, with the flour fully incorporated, before adding the milk.

Second, today some bulk sausage is just fairly lean. Am amazed how little fat we get when we use the Jimmy Dean product. Would make sure there is enough fat present.

And you don't have to remove the sausage from the pan when making the gravy, but it doesn't hurt. And it will let you see how much fat you have.

Love the gravy, just give it another shot or two and I'm sure it will turn out OK.

:) You need 1 part fat to one part flour so take the sausage fat and then add some oil or butter to get the right porportion, to make a good roux cook it on a low to medium heat you need to cook it and stir often until roux looks kinda like beach sand that means the flour if swelling from there you can make a light medium or dark roux meaning the color, dark roux is usually only used in gumbo,I think for this you want a light color ,You can make a bigger batch of roux and keep in fridge when ready to use simply take a bit of roux it will be really hard and warm in microwave until very soft ,heat milk till hot but not boiling if your liquid is hot the roux melts better into sauce if it isn't you get roux dumplings then whisk in roux and sausage.If gravy isn't thick enough warm some more roux and mix in let cook a little to see how much it thickens after doing it a few times you will learn how much to add to your gravy.

Last edited:
I agree with Auntot. I use Jimmy Dean sausage and there's very little grease to make the roux with. I've been adding a few tablespoons of oil and mixing it in before adding my flour.

In my opinion it is also vital to only add a little milk as first. I add about a cup and then stir the roux thoroughly. This is the time to check for lumps and stir it all good. After that keep adding milk until you have the right thickness.

Flavor Tip: The jimmy dean with sage is perfect for biscuits and gravy.

Back
Top Bottom