Fridge Life of Open Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianMeg

Senior Cook
How long is storebought salsa good for in the fridge after opening? The grocery store we go to sells a great store brand roasted tomato salsa, but I just don't get through the jar very quickly. It doesn't have a handy best before date like salad dressing. :-p

I find it lasts a good long time. I can't give you a specific date though. Really, I have had salsa in there for AGES and its not killed us yet.

Have to agree with Alix. If it starts getting green in the gunk that sticks to the threads of the jar opening, though, I'd probably chuck it.

yeah, don't confuse black gunk with that black corn fungus that some foodies declare they loooove. Black should probably not be a color in the food palette - even a black roux isn't really black.

but I digress...............

Agree that the stuff lasts for a long time, lots of preservatives in there.

Kinda like jarred relishes, basically the same sort of stuff, it will last for a long time.

Agree that the stuff lasts for a long time, lots of preservatives in there.

Here is the ingredient list:
tomatoes, water, tomato paste, red and green bell peppers, green chili peppers, jalapenos peppers, fire-roasted peppers, natural flavours, vinegar, dehydrated onions, salt, sugar, garlic, dehydrated garlic, cilantro, spices.

The sodium is 180mg/2 tbsp according to the label.

Salt is the only preservative I see in that list. Is that really enough to give it a long shelf life?

Vinegar is also a preservative - the acidity kills bacteria. Also, keeping it in the fridge inhibits bacteria growth as well. It keeps a good long time.

I always bought the same brand of salsa. Over the last year, I found it got mouldy within a month or so, even being very careful with it. ( Never left out, no leftovers back in the jar, no used spoons etc). Not sure what it was, we'll see how long the new brand lasts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom