Legsbig Hotsauce - Free Samples Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MLB Try this http://www.chilepepper.com/fiery_food_challenge.htm

If your sauce is as good as you say it is start here by entering it in the firey foods challenge! A lot of "little guys/gals" have entered products here and gone on to glory.

It's really hard to market a product that you're trying to sell under the table so that you can sneak around the laws and regulations that are there to protect you and your potential customers. Selling it in used beer bottles is as cheesy an idea as I've ever heard.

Winning a firey food challenge could be a big step up for you - if your sauce is good. If you don't win you'll know that there's more work to do! For those of us who love firey foods the designation of "challenge winner" goes a long way to influence what we buy.
Do it right - or just don't do it at all.

MLB:

I can see your enthusiasm for your product and the eagerness to get it on the market. That's great, but life just isn't that simple.

Listen to these folks. There's a ton of good advice here. Don't get angry because these folks are making things more difficult for you, be encouraged there are all these people who care about your success!

Listen and learn. Your sauce may be the best there is and sell a ton. Be prepared that it could also get lost in the sea of different hot sauces on the market today. It seems everyone has a killer recipe.

So keep at it and recognize that it's not going to happen as quickly as you like but the things you do up front to get ready will go a long way towards getting your product a good chance of success.

Wow, what a great idea, HarborWitch!

Now that's a brave group of judges....:LOL:

Cool huh!!! I'd love to enter my Mango Cherry Habanero Salsa - it's to die for, but you can only really make it when fresh cherries are availalbe, it doesn't hold well, and it can't be heat processed. Shucks!!!

If MLB can get his sauce past those judges he'll be on his way - hang on tight it'll be a wild ride. :LOL::w00t2::w00t2::clap::clap:

legs, you need to slow down and do some serious thinking. A lot of excellent advice has been given to you and you are not giving it serious consideration.

What are your plans?............. what is your business plan?...........what are your goals?

Is one goal to make money?

Are you out for the recognition?

Do you want to make the best darn hot sauce in Texas?

What are your goals? If one of your goals is to make money, buddy you are barking up the wrong tree. Food Service is a highly competitive industry and it appears you do not have a background in food service, by the questions you are asking.

It will be easier to find your direction when you can define your goals.

Chef_Jen said:
YES YOU CAN.. ok listen to this...

Ketchup is tomatos vinegar salt etc. when left in the sun or not refridgerated it can cause you to be VERY ill look up how many people die from it.. its a lot.

I am not talking about tomatoes. You do realize that different and plant life attracts different bacteria correct?

I am talking about habanero peppers. People get sick from habanero pepper mash and die each year?

Can you please find me a source that says habanero mash kills alot of people?

For some reason only the lacto bacteria(good bacteria) thrive on high capsaicin chinenses peppers like scotch bonnets, fataliis, habaneros, etc,

Mylegsbig said:

I am not talking about tomatoes. You do realize that different and plant life attracts different bacteria correct?

I am talking about habanero peppers. People get sick from habanero pepper mash and die each year?

Can you please find me a source that says habanero mash kills alot of people?

For some reason only the lacto bacteria(good bacteria) thrive on high capsaicin chinenses peppers like scotch bonnets, fataliis, habaneros, etc,

You are correct. Pepper mashes contain lactobacillus (Lactor Bacteria.) Here is some info on lactobacillus.

Lactobacillus is a genus of Gram-positive facultative anaerobe bacteria. They are a major part of the Lactic acid bacteria group, named as such because most of its members convert lactose and other simple sugars to lactic acid. They are common and usually benign, even necessary, inhabitants of humans and other animals. In humans they are present in the ****** and the gastrointestinal tract, and are an important genus of the gut flora. Many species are prominent in decaying plant material. The production of lactic acid makes its environment acidic which inhibits the growth of some harmful bacteria.
Some Lactobacillus species are used industrially for the production of yogurt, sauerkraut, pickles, and other fermented foods, such as silage. Sourdough bread is made using a "starter culture" which is a symbiotic culture of yeast and lactic acid bacteria growing in a water and flourmedium. Some yogurt drinks contain Lactobacillus bacteria as a dietary supplement. Korean kimchi is also made using lactic acid fermentationiron for growth and have an extremely high hydrogen peroxide techniques. Many lactobacilli are unique among living things as they do not require tolerance. Lactobacilli, especially L. casei and L. brevis, are some of the most common beer spoilage organisms.

Source: www.wikipedia.com

Harborwitch said:
MLB Try this http://www.chilepepper.com/fiery_food_challenge.htm

If your sauce is as good as you say it is start here by entering it in the firey foods challenge! A lot of "little guys/gals" have entered products here and gone on to glory.

It's really hard to market a product that you're trying to sell under the table so that you can sneak around the laws and regulations that are there to protect you and your potential customers. Selling it in used beer bottles is as cheesy an idea as I've ever heard.

Winning a firey food challenge could be a big step up for you - if your sauce is good. If you don't win you'll know that there's more work to do! For those of us who love firey foods the designation of "challenge winner" goes a long way to influence what we buy.
Do it right - or just don't do it at all.

Harbor witch, the reason i think my sauce can do so well is because i prefer my sauce to a number 1 winner of that challenge, Hula Girl Chipotle, and a number 2 runner up, Day Of The Dead TequilaPequin.

Besides, food judging is highly subjective and im not here for accolades. I'm trying to expand my business and make some money! and I know for a fact i will be able to. I am very thankful for this advice im receiving - i have alot of work ahead of me. The only problem i have on this thred is the girl talking down to me saying

" you dont know jack about me, i have my own bed and breakfast"

when she's not even aware of the fact that tomato develop completely different bacteria than habanero.

Andy M. said:
MLB:

I can see your enthusiasm for your product and the eagerness to get it on the market. That's great, but life just isn't that simple.

Listen to these folks. There's a ton of good advice here. Don't get angry because these folks are making things more difficult for you, be encouraged there are all these people who care about your success!

Listen and learn. Your sauce may be the best there is and sell a ton. Be prepared that it could also get lost in the sea of different hot sauces on the market today. It seems everyone has a killer recipe.

So keep at it and recognize that it's not going to happen as quickly as you like but the things you do up front to get ready will go a long way towards getting your product a good chance of success.

Andy, i own a business on the border where thousands of customers come through my gates seeking interesting exotic items. trusted veteran vendors there are personal friends. I can give them discounts on spaces and priviledges to set up huge displays of my sauces. I can have some guy who rents a spot from me send his teenage son to spend an entire afternoon dicing up chilies or what not. I have virtually no overhead here. that is why im so excited.

I have no desire for accolades. I just love making good sauce, and i love making money.

and i hope you love my sauce Andy. I think you will.

dude i was using it as a comparasion.. I was saying simple foods can make you sick

Yes if you left your sauce in the sun it would spoil... if you shipped your sauce and the seal broke it would spoil if not stored right

IF something got into your sauce whilst cooking it could spoil

Dude ive seen VINEGAR spoil and go off...

Like i said im qualified to cater I have my licences... and to be honest you REALLY need to look into your licencing and permits.

Im NOT tALking you down im just pointing out the things you CLEARLY havent thought about.

and like almost everyone else has pointed out YOU Dont need to actually make someone sick you just need a CLAIM..

and someone getting sick isnt your biggest worry. My point with mentioning my B&B was to show you i do know what im talking about when it comes to catering in my house for other people. I also worked for a PC in Texas.. and the laws in texas ARE strict..

listen at the end of the day i dont care what you do...., im just warning you because all it takes mate is one person calling the health dept on you or a neighbour complaining of the smelll of your hot sauce cooking for you to get fined.

Mylegsbig said:
(.......) trusted veteran vendors there are personal friends. I can give them discounts on spaces and priviledges to set up huge displays of my sauces. (.....).

Its great you are going to do more research. I really hope that this works for you.

It would be a great shame to implicate the vendors who are your friends if someone should decide to take action against you if you proceeded without the licences and insurances you need. It might be a 100-1 chance as you say, but then your guilt would probably be even greater.

I wish you the best of luck in your endevour, and like everyone else, am saying this only as contructive critisism.

Keep in mind that you don't have to make someone sick with your sauce to get into trouble. If you are not incompliance with the law in regards to food prep and distribution, you'll get slammed by one or more governmental agencies. That can include hefty fines and more.

The bottom line MLB, as far as I am concerned, is that it is great that you are this enthusiastic about this venture. You think your sauce can stack up against the best and I bet you will find others who agree with you. Like you said (I think it was you), taste is subjective. Some people will think your sauce is the greatest thing ever and others will think it is not good enough for the trash can. Forget that second group of people. They do not matter to you.

What I think people are trying to say here though is be smart about how you go about things. Take it from the people who have been there and done it. FOLLOW THE LAWS. You are not a stupid person. You have shown your intelligence here many times. USE IT. Be smart. Do not cut corners or try to get around the law. The outcome will not be good. It would be one thing if you were a single guy with no family, but you will have a wife and baby to think of. Do the right thing and if your sauce is as good as you say and you work hard then it will pay off.

best of luck with this man. I am really pulling for you. I would love to see your sauce on the shelves!!!

Mylegsbig said:
i dont have to get insurance and permission from the law to give you guys some samples do i?

Not likely. It's like my grandmother that used to make Beach Plum Jelly every year after picking the beach plums by our cottage on Cape Cod. She made a bunch for all the family and sometimes friends. Now, you're a bit more on a larger scale, since there are more poeple here then in my family,but the concept is the same.

If you plan on having the stuff on the shelves at a grocer, then you gotta play by all the rules.

Frankly, I'd love to sample your sauce, and if I like it, might even be willing to "purchase" some.

MLB,

I want to echo what several others have said -- I really would like to see you succeed in this venture, especially in light of your new responsibilities.

But to succeed, you have to play within the rules. You might get away with bending a few for awhile, but not for long, and you MUST CYA -- silly lawsuits and government action have destroyed uncountable business ventures. Do it right to make it work.

A couple of things you may want to consider:

1. I think the suggestion that you enter your sauce in contests is a winner. Having a "Gold Medal Winner" sticker on your bottles would make your sauce stand out from the 100s of others on the shelf, and that's important. The "best" product isn't necessarily the one that sells the most.

2. You may need to get someone to manufacture it for you -- most specialty food companies do that. The manufacturing facilities meet all the federal and state requirements, and that covers you. Plus they can make it in huge quantities, according to your recipe and subject to your approval. Yeah, it would cost more, but it would allow you to make tens of thousands of units, and it's better than you doing the grunt labor at $5 per hour.

I'm eager to taste this magic elixir!

If we're not too late, we'd love to try a taste.

We wish you wonderful success in your venture.:)

Count me in on the tasting... I will consider anything hot and spicy and I love spice in cooking. I applaude your endeavor and look forward to hearing about your progress!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom