Mashed Potato gravy ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ally

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know of any good mashed potao gravy?? :) with ingredients that are easy to get hold of....and i would like to know if you can make gravy out of a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom ???

i make my gravy with meat drippings and the fond deglazed from a pan, added to a roux (equal parts of flour cooked in butter) and meat stock, if i have any available. if not, beef bouillon. if you want to sweeten it up a little, blend in some cooked carrots.
my mil used to swear by something called gravy master, which was some kind of concentrate, but i thought it tasted funny, kinda plastic.
i have started to make my own stocks, saving things like veal bones from a dinner i made the other night, or the water leftover from boiling lobsters.
the veal and other beef bones and trimmings are browned, then coverd with water and boiled/simmered with some herbs for the beef stock.
for fish stock, i start with the lobster water, and add shrimp shells and fish bones and boil them down.

The dry packets of gravy mix are pretty good...Pillsbury's is best, if you can find it, and it's fat-free.
If you have a little bacon grease, you can always make a good cream gravy. Just mix equal amounts of flour and grease in your skillet, stir in 1 cup of milk for each tablespoon of flour, or half milk and half chicken broth. Cook and stir until thickened and season with S&P.

yep, you can use mushroom soup to make gravy.:) all i do is whisk in milk,- less than i would for soup-, black pepper, salt, onion powder and garlic powder and ground sage and pour it over pork chops and mashed potatoes.

we make the best pork chop gravy by allowing a few pork chops to get really brown in the broiler on a baking sheet after the others are done (we just give those ones to the cats)
and deglazing the baking sheet with a little water. then we add flour shaken up with milk, then some water and lots of black pepper. a litte salt, too. if need be, some beef base can be added for additional flavor.
i use powdered gravies a lot, too.
milk gravy is delicious. add flour to sizzling hot butter in a pan, allow to cook for a minute, whisk in salt, pepper and milk. bring to a low boil and allow to simmer for a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom