Mayonnaise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchguycooking

Senior Cook
Hello Cookers !

Here's a recipe of the Classic Mayonnaise Sauce. I tried to make it simple, so that it is easy to reproduce. As always , your feedback is really appreciated ;)

Ingredients
----------------
- Oil, ground oil or canola oil (just a simple one)
- 1 egg
- salt
- Vinegar ( I use red wine vinegar because I like it because it would make more sense to use white wine vinegar ! lol ! )
- Mustard

Kitchenware
------------------
- Food processor
- A whisk
- Tea spoon
- Small bowl

Instructions
-----------------
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white
- Put the yolk in the food processor
- Add one teaspoon of mustard
- Add a pinch of salt
- Add a drop of oil
- Start whisking
- Very Slowly add the rest of oil
- Add a drop of vinegar
- too firm ? add more vinegar
- too runny ? add more oil
- pinch of salt at the end could be nice
- texture : it should not fall off a spoon

Et voila ! Simple yet uber cool recipe to make this very classic sauce. It goes really well with many things ... You'll just have to try it. Shrimp and seafood are my favorites with it.

Hope you like it !

Hello Cookers !

Kitchenware
------------------
- Food processor
- A whisk
- Tea spoon
- Small bowl

Instructions
-----------------
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white
- Put the yolk in the food processor
- Add one teaspoon of mustard
- Add a pinch of salt
- Add a drop of oil
- Start whisking
- Very Slowly add the rest of oil
- Add a drop of vinegar
- too firm ? add more vinegar
- too runny ? add more oil
- pinch of salt at the end could be nice
- texture : it should not fall off a spoon

Et voila ! Simple yet uber cool recipe to make this very classic sauce. It goes really well with many things ... You'll just have to try it. Shrimp and seafood are my favorites with it.

Hope you like it !

Sorry, but your directions are a bit confusing....

A bowl, whisk and food processor are used?

You whisk in the food processor?

Sorry, but your directions are a bit confusing....

A bowl, whisk and food processor are used?

You whisk in the food processor?

I'm pretty sure he is listing all that can be used, either a bowl, a food processor... but the terms he uses are not always correct for us English speaking types. His recipes have been like that, which haven't really confused anyone else here until now.

If I was making this I would probably use a bowl with my stick blender and the whisk attachment :)

Thanks for the recipe. I always wanted to try making my own mayo.

If I was making this I would probably use a bowl with my stick blender and the whisk attachment :)
That's what I've always used and it works well. The problem I've run into when using the food processor to make mayo is that, unless you have a very small bowl or a blade that comes in contact with the bottom or you are making a lot, it's too small an amount to properly whip the ingredients.

I am always second guessing my purchase of a 7qt FP. I'm either overstuffing it or not putting enough in.
Although I do go through a lot of mayo.

I am always second guessing my purchase of a 7qt FP. I'm either overstuffing it or not putting enough in.
Although I do go through a lot of mayo.

I bought a mini one for small jobs.

But for may I also use a stick blender and a glass jar. Works better than a FP and a whiskand a bowl is just too much work.

I bought a mini one for small jobs.

But for may I also use a stick blender and a glass jar. Works better than a FP and a whiskand a bowl is just too much work.

Hard to believe that's how I used to cream butter & sugar :wacko:
Waaaay too much work.

I'm pretty sure he is listing all that can be used, either a bowl, a food processor... but the terms he uses are not always correct for us English speaking types. His recipes have been like that, which haven't really confused anyone else here until now.

Thanks for the recipe. I always wanted to try making my own mayo.

Thanks Pacanis. My english has to improve a bit, and, when some words are wrong or not precise please do not hesitate to tell me ;)

I've had no problem keeping homemade mayo in the fridge for up to a week. If you want to help prevent it from separating, add about a teaspoon of water the same time you add the mustard, and before the oil. For whatever reason, it creates a more stable emulsion. The acid in the vinegar (or lemon juice) also lowers the pH and preserves freshness.

Last edited:
Yes, your English is excellent! I would guess that very few if any members here could do a vice versa at a French cooking website. So Cudos!!!

Sometimes specific terms are hard to translate correctly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom