Red Boat 40°N Fish Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

no mayonnaise

Sous Chef
I use fish sauce a lot. A big bottle will last me 3-5 months and I've always used 3 Crabs brand. I'd heard some good things about Red Boat 40°N being "first pressed virgin," only containing salt and anchovies, having a higher Nitrogen content, etc. but being over 3x the price of my usual for a smaller bottle (At Whole Foods, where everything's more expensive than it needs to be) I was on the fence. Then yesterday I went into my usual Vietnamese grocer and there it was for only a couple bucks more than my usual fish sauce so I had to see what all the fuss was about with it.

Oh man was I missing some good fish sauce. Night and day difference in flavor, complexity, the whole nine yards. Blows away Lucky, 3 Crabs, Tiparos, Squid, etc. I'm officially a convert and Red Boat 40°N gets the No Mayo Stamp of Approval (NMSA®). If any of you cook SE Asian dishes on a regular basis I'd recommend tracking some of this stuff down and trying it.

I'm interested, sounds great! Will look for it at the Oriental grocery store next time I'm up that way.

Thanks for the review, NM!

Hmmmm... I'm intrigued. I've done fish sauce taste tests right out of the bottle.

Next time I'm at the Asian market I'll look for it !

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom