Tomato Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turando

Cook
Hi,

I was wondering what 'Tomato Sauce' actually is when a recipe calls for a can of tomato sauce. What we call tomato sauce Americans call ketchup I think. How would I make tomato sauce at home?

Also is tomato puree what we call tomato paste? Thick red concentrated stuff?

Thankyou!

The tomato puree sounds right.

You can find tomato sauce in stores....peeled, seeded pureed tomatoes.

Hi,

Where I live we don't have cans of tomato sauce. So tomato sauce is just pureed whole tomatoes?

Thankyou!

In the US we can get in the can: whole tomaotes, diced tomato, crushed tomato, tomato puree, tomato paste. The best are saved for the whole tomato. Those with "field damage or blemish" find there way to the other forms. It gives one a variety of cooking choices. In general, out of season, and for cooking purposes, the canned product is quite fine. Usually very rich and sweet. Ketchup is a "sauce" made with vinegar, sugar and spices. btw, that kitty with the helmet is from New Jersey, the tomato state!

:) :) Turando, if you could give us an idea of where you live we could give you some better ideas because tomato paste is just a concentrate of tomatoes not anything like tomato sauce ketchup on the other hand has spices,sugar etc a whole different ingredient.Also what are wanting to make? There may be other ideas.

Have noticed in our supermarkets (US) one can buy cans of 'Tomato Sauce'. It tastes sorta like a spaghetti sauce without the spices. Will often though use the canned tomatoes (in various forms) and, perhaps, tomao puree.

Back
Top Bottom