Your favorite hot sauces??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reminds me of the old Tabasco ad on TV. Guy sitting on the front porch eating a slice. Shakes some Tabasco on each bite. It's hot and he's sweating. He watches as a mosquito bites him and flies off only to explode in mid-air.

I have a lazy Susan on the table that has all of the above plus El Yucatreco Habanero sauce. What I don't have in the house is plain ol' ketchup. The OS is in the fridge.

Last edited:
At the moment Yucatan Sunshine is tops on my list because it has flavor plus heat. :yum:

I love hot sauces and each has it's pluses and minuses. Hot is great but not at the expense of flavor. Hot just for hot is useless.

Keep in mind I have an asbestos stomach so hot for me might be overpowering for some. ;)

The pictures are what I have on hand and I'm always seeking different concoctions to try.

I've dabbled with homemade but my pepper crop has been disappointing these last 2 years. :(

There is no favorite for me because I find so many different varieties and each one fit's in somewhere.

Tabasco is a stand by and I've never been fond of Siracha because of the abundance of garlic in it.

But to each his own and don't burn your taste buds out.

Attachments

• copyIMG_0211.jpg
    copyIMG_0211.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 255
  • copyIMG_0212.jpg
    copyIMG_0212.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 271
  • copyIMG_0214.jpg
    copyIMG_0214.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 262
Reminds me of the old Tabasco ad on TV. Guy sitting on the front porch eating a slice. Shakes some Tabasco on each bite. It's hot and he's sweating. He watches as a mosquito bites him and flies off only to explode in mid-air.

Good golly...I hadn't thought about that commercial in years. So maybe I'm not so strange. :)

Another pizza/tabasco ad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8oyiHLWUSY

I loved that commercial!

Oh! Melinda's Chipotle Catsup...OMG good!!!

Last edited:
Sriracha is my standby for all styles, but I keep Crystal around for when I need something thin that integrates smoothly with a thin sauce or whatever. I was relieved to hear that Huy Fong was apparently coming to an accord with the city that was persecuting them. Also like Louisiana "The Perfect" hot sauce.

Tabasco is a fairly hot pepper, so the sauce is going to be hot. If you think it's too hot, though, stay away from all those above it on this chart :LOL: From Chilli Facts » Pure-Sauce.Com

I would not bet my life on that list even though I'm certain its pretty close to being right.

I have learned that heat is not always in the name of the sauce or pepper itself.
I have had banana peppers that made cayenne taste like bell pepper as far as Scovile or how hot it was..
I've had Habanero sauce that was milder than Tabasco brand sauce.
So there are many sauces and peppers on that list that i could eat that are well above cayenne.
In a perfect world, that list would work.

Quick story.
Took a big basket of peppers to the local bar yesterday. Had over 200 habanero, 50 or so Ghost peppers (Bhut Jolokia) and an assortment of another types..

Had a guy ask me why the ghost peppers were wrinkled and i explained thats how they are supposed to look and showed him a picture on my phone.
Well he decided he was going to prove it was not as hot as advertised and took a large bite out of one of them.
Then proceeded to finish the rest of the single pepper.

I can only say two things.
I felt sorry for him.
I was laughing inside so hard it hurt. It was funny accept I thought he might actually get sick.

I would not bet my life on that list even though I'm certain its pretty close to being right.

I have learned that heat is not always in the name of the sauce or pepper itself.
I have had banana peppers that made cayenne taste like bell pepper as far as Scovile or how hot it was..
I've had Habanero sauce that was milder than Tabasco brand sauce.
So there are many sauces and peppers on that list that i could eat that are well above cayenne.
In a perfect world, that list would work.

Yes, like anything in nature, there will be variations. I suspect the list is based on averages.

Quick story.
Took a big basket of peppers to the local bar yesterday. Had over 200 habanero, 50 or so Ghost peppers (Bhut Jolokia) and an assortment of another types..

Had a guy ask me why the ghost peppers were wrinkled and i explained thats how they are supposed to look and showed him a picture on my phone.
Well he decided he was going to prove it was not as hot as advertised and took a large bite out of one of them.
Then proceeded to finish the rest of the single pepper.

I can only say two things.
I felt sorry for him.
I was laughing inside so hard it hurt. It was funny accept I thought he might actually get sick.

Jeez, poor guy! That's what trying to be macho gets you ;)

When our first German exchange student arrived, we had a nice crop of veggies, including hot peppers. We were talking about the different kinds and he told us he really liked hot foods. I was a bit skeptical, since he grew up in the former East Germany, but I got a cayenne pepper and cut the tip off. I told him to just touch his tongue to the end of the cut pepper, but no - he had to take a big bite. His face immediately turned red, he started tearing up and he coughed. I would almost swear I saw steam coming out of his ears :ROFLMAO: I tried to warn him!

Jeez, poor guy! That's what trying to be macho gets you ;)

I told him how hot it was and showed him the Scoville scale that accompanied the Wiki article before he ate it.
He ate all of it except the stem. Seeds and membranes!
The first bite did not register immediately and thats when he went for the remaining bite. It was a big pepper too......LOL

It was this information that prompted an attempt to outwit that little device I call a smart phone.
The phone won.

Hot sauces

I think Frank's, Tobasco (original), and Sriracha covers it all for most cooking, but I can't help picking up an odd brand at the dollar store every now and then and I have found a three good ones there- Mancini, Tapatio and Louisiana. Louisiana brand is very much like Frank's and the other two are between Frank's and Tobasco in hotness. I'd rank Sriracha almost as hot as Tobasco, but with a flavoring than reminds me of chili peppers. Tapatio also has a chili flavor but is not as hot as Sriracha and it is great in salsa.

For Asian food - Hoy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce

For Mexican food - Cholula or Tapatio

For chicken wings - Frank's (formerly Durkee's Frank's) hot sauce

For eating with tortilla chips or garnishing Mexican food items - Pace medium Pincante sauce or La Victoria medium salsa

Last edited:

You may have had a Hungarian Wax instead. You can tell them from banana peppers because one will try and burn your cheeks off, from the inside.

They can be difficult to tell apart unless sitting side by side.

You could have also found some banana peppers that were unusually hot.

I have used most of the sauces mentioned. Our one and only Mexican restaurant uses Valentina, which is pretty good. I recently discovered that the Texas Pete folks have produced their version of sriracha, which is mighty good.

I forgot, I do have an Asian chili garlic sauce I use in marinades sometimes. If something tastes a bit flat, just a half teaspoon or so gives it some nice zing :chef:

Back
Top Bottom