Your favorite hot sauces??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiklitmanfan

Senior Cook
I'll have to break mine into 3 general categories and no, I do not put hot sauce on everything I cook unlike some crazies I know with porcelain stomachs.

Mexican: Way out in front of everything else, is Cholula and Tabasco Jalapeno sauce. No, I don't go HOT for hot's sake but rather as a flavor enhancer. My one exception to real heat is Salsa Brava, made by La Victoria. Back in the 50's this was my Dad's taco sauce and was so hot back then that I hated it as a kid. Now, I think it has been cooled down after 60 years and is sometimes hard to find. The intense hot flavor is hard to beat.

Cajun: The grand daddy of them all, Tabasco red pepper sauce! My wife and I actually made a 'pilgrimage' to Avery Island Louisiana to appreciate this fabled product up close and personal. Avery Island is actually the tip of a prehistoric salt dome that sticks out of the bayous. Fascinating place and worth the trip.

Southern and low-country cuisine: I love Crystal hot sauce the best because it gives tremendous flavor without a lot of heat and it is reasonably priced.

Attachments

• cholula.jpg
    cholula.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 326
  • crystal.png
    crystal.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 281
  • tabascojalapeno.png
    tabascojalapeno.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 275
  • salsabrava.png
    salsabrava.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 267
  • tabasco.png
    tabasco.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 279
For the most part, I'll go along with your choices. I like all of those, too.

Two other general purpose sauces I like are Tabasco Chipotle Sauce and Sriracha. I also keep a jar of Sambal Oelek in the fridge to kick up Chinese takeout a little.

No surprises here. Tabasco Original, Green and Chipotle. Frank's for wings. Sambal Olek, Sriracha and chili oil for Asian.

Your favorite hot sauces ??

I have a love affair going with Tabasco Chipotle, it transforms eggs to a new level. And I really like Shark Sriracha and Franks.

I like Texas Pete for general use, Tapatío for Mexican, and sriracha or Thai sweet chili sauce for Asian. I want to try sambal oelek but I forgot to buy it the last time I was at the Asian grocery store.

Xni Pec, Gochujang, Kimchi Base, Sambal Oelek, Sriracha, Crystal, Tabasco (both original and Jap), Franks, Chipoltle in Adobo and Dave's Insanity (used very sparingly). There are others I haven't tried, I'm sure!:ohmy:

Last edited:
Not a fan of Crystal, but I do like the Tabasco sauces.

I also like Crabanero on seafood. I also use Frank's wing sauce for my wings usually and Nando's hot sauce as well.

I bought Dave's Insanity hot sauce for DH, but it's hotter than we like. We use it occasionally, and sparingly, but it's been in the fridge for a while ;)

Tabasco, original, jalapeno and chipotle. I like the chipotle in my V-8 juice the best!

Shrek likes Cholula and the Tabasco's.

I like Crystal or Franks for wings and everyday use.

I do not like Texas Pete at all.

Costco has both Franks and Tabasco Brand on the shelf and i always have both on hand.
The Tabasco Brand is a bit hot. Maybe a bit too hot?

I like Crystal or Franks for wings and everyday use.

I do not like Texas Pete at all.

Costco has both Franks and Tabasco Brand on the shelf and i always have both on hand.
The Tabasco Brand is a bit hot. Maybe a bit too hot?

Tabasco is a fairly hot pepper, so the sauce is going to be hot. If you think it's too hot, though, stay away from all those above it on this chart :LOL: From Chilli Facts » Pure-Sauce.Com

Attachments

• scoville-scale.jpg
    scoville-scale.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
I don't like any hot sauce that has vinegar as the first ingredient, in fact until I discovered this I thought all hot sauces were terrible. Thanks to DC, I found this a few years ago and it's all I use........good stuff indeed.

img_1378883_0_78cdb167efc88c965895df93c1696ce1.jpg

Thanks for sharing...this has been fun and informative. I have seen Sriracha (sp?) chili sauce at the stores but never tried it. It is definitely on my shopping list because we cook a lot of Asian dishes. Frank's seems to be the 'standard' for hot wings. I've also tasted some scorching hot barbecue sauces and think anything so hot that it overpowers the flavor of good pork or brisket barbecue is a cop-out.

I like hot sauce on/in some things but not a lot of things. I don't care for hot BBQ sauce but like Tabasco on mac and cheese. Hot wings but not hot cheese. You get the idea.

Here's one that I'm sure most DC folks will find strange, if not an outright crime: I only eat pizza with Tabasco sauce on it.

It was a taste I developed as a teenager and, to this day, I don't care for pizza without it. A lot of places don't have Tabasco on hand, so my wife always carries a mini bottle in her purse.

I've had pizza in Naples Italy, and am sure I offended more than a few of the nationals by dousing their local pies with hot sauce. :LOL:

Last edited:
Your favorite hot sauces ??

I don't find it strange. We only eat pizza with "sprinkles" (hot pepper flakes). Will have to try the Tabasco.

Thanks for sharing...this has been fun and informative. I have seen Sriracha (sp?) chili sauce at the stores but never tried it. It is definitely on my shopping list because we cook a lot of Asian dishes. Frank's seems to be the 'standard' for hot wings. I've also tasted some scorching hot barbecue sauces and think anything so hot that it overpowers the flavor of good pork or brisket barbecue is a cop-out.

Just to clarify, Sriracha is great with all cuisines, not just Asian. I do a lot of Mexican and couldn't do without it anymore. It's great on Pizza too. ;)

If you get into Korean food, you won't get far until dishes require Gochujang paste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom