Baked Macaroni and Gouda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
8 servings

1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
1 ½ pounds Hot Italian Sausage, cooked
1 ½ cups caramelized onions, chopped
1 quart milk
6 tablespoons Butter
6 tablespoons flour
¾ pound grated Gouda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine pasta, sausage and 1 cup onions in a large bowl. In a medium sauce pan, heat milk until steaming. In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat, add flour whisking constantly for 3 minutes. Whisk in warmed milk, ¼ cup at a time, until smooth and thick. Keep at a simmer, add 2 ½ cups of the shredded cheese, remove from heat and whisk until melted. Season with S&P to taste. Add cheese sauce to pasta mixture, stir through. Butter a 9 x 13 baking pan, pour in pasta mixture. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese. Bake about 40 minutes until slightly browned on top.

now there's an interesting concept--gouda in the mac 'n cheese--i like that! i really like gouda cheese!! thanks, pf! aren't you the one with recipes today?:)

I had a chunk of smoked Gouda that needed to be used so I added it to my regular mac-n-cheese a few weeks ago. It was really good! Of course it won't be a regular occurrence but it sure perked up a dish!

gouda cheese had never even crossed my mind for a casserole. i do believe, however, that regular gouda would be a better choice than smoked to put in a mac and cheese. unless of course you are going for domination. i might even mix it with some fontina cheese, which would be a natural fit for this type of scene....:)

Back
Top Bottom