Baking brown rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ksm

Cook
I just discovered baking brown rice!
I think i saw Alton Brown use this technique.
My brown rice never got as soft as I liked by cooking on stove top.

Here is my new method.
I sauté 1 medium onion, I orange pepper ( or yellow or red)
And 8 oz baby Bellas in olive oil with s&p and crushed red pepper.

I add that to one cup brown rice in an over proof dish.(I like jasmine)
Bring 2 cups chicken stock to a boil.
Add to rice along with a tablespoon of butter.
Sometimes I add half a can of black beans
Stir
Cover tightly and cook at 375 for 1 hour. (No peaking ?)

When done I like to top with Parmesan cheese.

So good!

I cook brown rice all the time. I have only baked it in rice pudding. This sounds interesting. I'll have to give that a try when the weather cools down and I'm more willing to use my oven.

Sounds good. How much does that make? Also when you add beans don't they get over-cooked?

It makes about 2 cups of rice. That increases depending on how many vegetables you add. I usually get 3 to 3 1/2 cups. We use it for a couple dinners. I just use canned black beans (about 1/2 can), you would think they would get overlooked, but they hold up well.

I cook brown rice all the time. I have only baked it in rice pudding. This sounds interesting. I'll have to give that a try when the weather cools down and I'm more willing to use my oven.
Hope you like it. I think it gives brown rice a better texture.

I quit buying white rice a few years ago. I don't bake brown rice though. Ksm's recipe looks very good and will definitely try it, probably this afternoon. Wish brown jasmine and basmati were easier to find at reasonable prices.

I'm one of those old curmudgeons (thank you PF ;)) that just can't seem to get into brown rice. I really dislike the hulls.

That being said, there is a recipe I've done (& should do again) which I always thought looked good and tasted fine. 75% white, 20% brown and 5% wild. Cooked in the micro, starting with the brown as it takes that much longer then adding the white, last a handful of wild.

Was/is great and impresses guests!

I'm one of those old curmudgeons (thank you PF ;)) that just can't seem to get into brown rice. I really dislike the hulls.

That being said, there is a recipe I've done (& should do again) which I always thought looked good and tasted fine. 75% white, 20% brown and 5% wild. Cooked in the micro, starting with the brown as it takes that much longer then adding the white, last a handful of wild.

I'm not crazy about brown rice, either, but I do like this blend for some things. It has brown (parcooked), white, wild and red rices and they all cook in the same amount of time. I don't know if it's available in Canada.
mixed%20rice%20blend.jpg

Thanks GG, I'll look for it!

One thing I learned and I believe I posted this before and that is:-

With Imperial Black Rice, should you want to mix it with other rice, they MUST be cooked separately and then mixed together. Looks very pretty.

If you don't you get one huge bowl of purple rice. :LOL::LOL:

I quit buying white rice a few years ago. I don't bake brown rice though. Ksm's recipe looks very good and will definitely try it, probably this afternoon. Wish brown jasmine and basmati were easier to find at reasonable prices.

I usually buy brown basmati in Indian or Pakistani stores. We last got some in early March, 2020, when it became clear that we were going to have to hunker down. DH picked up two 10 lb bags. He can't remember how much they cost, but remembers it was probably around $15 each and definitely less than $20 each, and that's in Canadian dollars, so figure about 3/4 of that for US dollars.

BTW, we have learned that basmati rice just doesn't have as much "basmati" flavour when it comes from producers in North America, as when it comes from countries that traditionally produce basmati rice.

As the original curmudgeon :)rolleyes:mad: PF) I have also tried and not been pleased with brown rice. I don't eat as much rice as I once did but, when I do, it plain old long grain white rice.

Ross

I purchase Mahatma jasmine brown rice at Walmart. Less than $3.00 for a 2 lb bag. I was never a fan of brown rice until I started baking the rice.

Attachments

• 22A9599B-38BD-4137-B170-54E79A048985.jpg
    22A9599B-38BD-4137-B170-54E79A048985.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 25
Thanks GG, I'll look for it!

One thing I learned and I believe I posted this before and that is:-

With Imperial Black Rice, should you want to mix it with other rice, they MUST be cooked separately and then mixed together. Looks very pretty.

If you don't you get one huge bowl of purple rice. :LOL::LOL:

Prince would have loved that.

Back
Top Bottom