Beans and Aromatic Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
Made this for a potluck at work today. Came out really good. I made the beans seperate from the rice and just served them over the rice. It was really good that way.

Rice Ingredients
2 cups rice
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 medium green pepper, minced
1 medium yellow onion, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup diced fresh tomato (aproximately, it was half a large tomato)
1/2 tsp saffron
1/8 tsp tumeric

Heat a little olive oil on medium high in a 5 quart sauce pan that has a tight fitting lid. Add the green pepper, onion, celery, garlic and tomato. Saute stiring frequently. Once everything begins to soften reduce heat to medium and cover with the lid. Continue cooking, stiring occasionaly, until everything is well cooked and begining to break appart. Remove half of the mix and reserve for another use (or cut the amounts of the vegetables in half to begin with but I don't know how well that works, always done it this way). Add the rice and spices and mix well. Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until the liquid is gone (mostly) and rice is tender.

Beans Ingredients
1 15.5 oz can red beans
1 cup diced sweet pepper
1/4 cup green onion (the white/light green part)
1/2 cup green onion (the dark green part)
1 tblsp lime juice
1 tblsp chopped celery leaf (or fresh parsely)
1/4 tsp corriander
2 tsp chili powder

Heat a tiny amount of oil in a fry pan on medium high heat. Add everything except the dark green part of the green onions. Cook, stiring constantly, until everything is heated through. Remove from heat and add the green onion.

Back
Top Bottom