Best pasta dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bam!!

Cook
Hi all!

I'm just curious to know what classic pasta dish you love to make and gets rave reviews!

For me I enjoy the classic Carbonara....with fresh Italian parsley...egg....cream....parmagiana reggiana.....with a roasted pork tenderloin pan seared...then I dry rub it with Sweet Paprika...all spice....roesemary...thyme...basil.....garlic powder.....and onion powder....

Served with a french baguette.....

and red wine ofcourse!

I love to make penne pasta with a variety of veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, baby carrots etc) and also add grill chicken or shrimp (seasoned with thyme, rosemary, lots of cracked black pepper) to it.

I love creamy sauces. I make a pesto with walnuts (in place of pinenuts) and then add a little bit of cream to it.

Stir fry the veggies and pasta in this sauce and serve with crusty sour dough bread, some butter and a simple green salad.

Not necessarily a "classic," but one of my favorites is penne with roasted vegetables, such as red and yellow peppers, red onion, carrot strips, fennel, garlic, etc. tossed with a garlic infused, reduced chicken broth, served with Parmigiano Reggiano. Amazingly delicious.

ironchef said:
Risotto with Pancetta, Mixed Wild Mushrooms (Porcini, Shiitake, Morrell, & Chantrelle), Fresh Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese, and White Truffle Oil

Did you ever give us this recipe or just offer to? Please provide, or direct me to where you already posted it. Could I live without the truffle oil? If not, where do I get it?

no I never posted this particular recipe. I can though later on when I have more time.

Regarding the truffle oil, you can live without it but it lends a unique and interesting flavor to the dish. You can purchase it at most gourmet food stores.

ironchef said:
Risotto with Pancetta, Mixed Wild Mushrooms (Porcini, Shiitake, Morrell, & Chantrelle), Fresh Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese, and White Truffle Oil

ooh, ironchef, this sounds really good. is it true about having to constantly stir risotto, and adjust the liquids until it is just right? i've never made it at home.

and truffle oil is worth the investment. like adding another layer of perfumey flavor to the dish....

buckytom said:
is it true about having to constantly stir risotto, and adjust the liquids until it is just right? i've never made it at home.

I have a great risotto recipe which you make in the oven and only give it one stir. It does not come out creamy like a regular risotto, but it is really delicious.

I do make an artichoke risotto on the stovetop that does need to be stirred constantly. You can take a break here and there, but most of the time you are stirring.

nah you don't have to constantly stir. but you do have to stir often. that's how you build up the starchiness to make the risotto thick and creamy. Butter isn't what thickens the risotto. Butter is to add richness and give the risotto a nice sheen.

Well, I'd personally like to try BOTH recipes, iron chef and GB, since each hold a strong appeal for me! Hmmm????

Thanks to you both in advance!!!

Here is the first one...

ARTICHOKE RISOTTO

3 Cloves Garlic peeled and finely chopped or crushed.
4 cups stock.
1 ½ cups uncooked Arborio rice.
1 Cup dry white wine.
10 cherry tomatoes quartered.
1 large jar artichoke hearts drained of all oil.
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint

Combine garlic and ¼ cup chicken stock in a large skillet and cook over med-low heat until garlic is soft.

Add rice and stir until thoroughly combined.

Raise Heat to Medium and add white wine very slowly stirring all the while. When the wine is completely absorbed into the mixture, add the tomatoes and artichokes and stir until completely combined.

Add the remaining chicken stock gradually, ½ cup at a time. Allow each addition of stock to be absorbed into the rice mixture before adding the next. Keep stiring.

Optional: Add fresh mint and serve immediately.

Serves 4

And here is the scond one...

Baked Chicken and Leek Risotto

½ tablespoon oil
½ leek, sliced thin
1 chicken breast, cubed
1 cup short grain rice
1/8 cup white wine
2 ½ cups chicken stock
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1 tablespoon fresh thyme

1. Preheat oven to 300 and put a casserole dish with lid in oven to warm. Heat oil in saucepan over med heat. Add leeks and cook till soft.

2. Add chicken and cook, stirring for 2-3 min or until it gets some color. Add rice and stir to coat well. Cook another minute.

3. Add wine and stock and bring to boil. Pour into casserole dish and cover. Cook in oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway thru. Remove from oven and stir in parmesan cheese and thyme.

....good stuff....I'll give these a go..

Any special treatment for the mushrooms.....I go a little nuts when I am making mushrooms......I make mushroom stock with the stem.....usually hitting the mushrroms with 3 different mushroom stocks during the carmelizing process......I go with garlic....redwine....a beautiful balsamic vinegar.....some thyme....butter......man I love em! :D

This is just to swoon for! And Bam, it has 'shrooms, too!

WILD MUSHROOM AND GOAT CHEESE RAVIOLI W/FIRE ROASTED ONION COULIS

serves 4 (as an appetizer)

1 pound mixed wild mushrooms
3T minced shallots
½ T minced garlic
½ T fresh thyme,chopped
¼ cup olive oil
1 oz soft butter
½ tsp. Kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper
¼ cup sherry wine
¼ pound goat cheese
24 wonton skins
1 egg lightly beaten

Heat a saute pan over high heat; saute mushrooms in oil for 5 minutes. Add shallots, garlic, butter; cook 3 minutes; add thyme, salt and pepper; deglaze the pan with sherry. Remove from heat and cool. Combine mushrooms and goat cheese until incorporated. Lay out wonton skins and place 1 tsp. of mixture in the center. Brush w/eggwash and place another skin on top.
Bring a pot of water to boil, salt, and add ravioli until tender, about 3 minutes.

Onion Coulis:

2 onions, peeled,root end intact (Vidalia if available)
1 ½ cups chicken stock
2T demiglace
½ tsp. each salt and pepper

Heat oven to 450; place onions on direct flame of stove and char well; place on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or til soft. Remove from oven, and cut off the root; put the onions in a food processor and process til smooth. Put the mixture in a pot and add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and adjust the seasonings. Put a little coulis on a plate, and place 3 ravioli on top.

Bam!! said:
....good stuff....I'll give these a go..

Any special treatment for the mushrooms.....I go a little nuts when I am making mushrooms......I make mushroom stock with the stem.....usually hitting the mushrroms with 3 different mushroom stocks during the carmelizing process......I go with garlic....redwine....a beautiful balsamic vinegar.....some thyme....butter......man I love em! :D

bam, i make a dish just like that, with chicken breasts. first, i brown some chicken breasts in olive oil, but not so they're cooked thru. set chicken aside. next, brown some garlic and a small diced onion in the same pan as you browned the chicken. deglaze with red wine, eventually adding about 1/2 to 3/4 of the bottle. the last time i made it i used forestville merlot. i love that wine, and it's dirt cheap. next, i add sliced portabellas and whole rehydrated shiitakes, and several sprigs of fresh thyme. ( i prefer rehydrated shiitakes over fresh ones, more intense flavor). i simmer for a few minutes until the sauce just begins to reduce, then place the chicken on top of the shrooms and cover, simmer a few minutes more until the chicken is cooked thru. plate the chicken, surround with the mushrooms, add some butter and reduce the sauce until it coats a spoon well, and pour sauce over top.

i have to make this again soon. to keep on topic, i think this would go well with polenta or a plain risotto.

...great stuff everyone! :D

( i prefer rehydrated shiitakes over fresh ones, more intense flavor).

apparently...from what I have understood....the dried one's are from Japan....the best!

The fresh ones are from North America....the difference is in the soil......We just don' t have the right soil.....

Ever hear about this...or am I smoking some good stuff ?

i'll check the container of dried shiitakes i bought at costco when i get home. it should say if it was imported, or from pennsylvania maybe. is it true in asian cooking that fresh shiitakes are called just that, and rehydrated shiitakes are called black cap mushrooms, to identify he difference?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom