Boston Baked Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
now, on to the brown bread.... metal coffee cans are hard to come by now-a-days. can't believe we're all still alive after making brown bread contained in all those poisons (yeah, right....) but regardless -

I don't have a decent BBB recipe - Addie - can you post your approach?
I promise to strip the paint off the can before I bake it, honest!

This recipe uses 14.5-ounce tomato cans to make smaller loaves more quickly: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/easy-boston-brown-bread.html

They don't play in Boston, and New England Patriots sounds better than the Foxborough Patriots, don't you think?

The Buffalo Bills don't play in Buffalo, the San Francisco 49ers don't play in San Francisco, and the New York Giants don't even play in the STATE of New York. So, what's in a name?

When the Patriots (the Super Bowl Champion Patriots) built their stadium in Foxborough, they could have continued to go with the Boston Patriots but chose to change to the New England Patriots to acknowledge the extent of their fan base.

They don't play in Boston, and New England Patriots sounds better than the Foxborough Patriots, don't you think?

When the team was first formed as part of the brand spanking new AFL, they were called the Boston Patriots. They didn't even have a field or stadium of their own to play in.

Boston is the largest city in all of New England. I know several folks from out of state, who come all the way to Boston to shop. As a result, we Bostonians are only to willing to share our sports teams with the other five states. And we do have a Red Sox farm team in Rhode Island, the RS sponsors minor league teams and franchises throughout New England. That goes for the Patriots doing the same with Pop Warner football for both the kids and older ones bordering on adulthood.

BTW, did you know that Montpelier, Capital of Vermont is the smallest state capital in the whole nation?

The six New England states tend to think as a whole as one. Although Connecticut, being a bit more wealthier than the other five states, likes to associate and assimilate themselves to New York City than the rest of New England. The only two things they have for bragging rights is that they have the highest income per capita and Hartford is the insurance capital of the country. Since they feel that their money talks, they can be a bit snooty and uppity at times. There used to be a NHL team called the Hartford Whalers. The residents of Conn. I guess thought it was a sport for ruffians and failed to support the team. They went bankrupt. :angel:

Last edited:
This is pretty similar to the bean recipe that was taught to my dad by his dad. My grandfather as a young teen worked as a cook in logging camps where he learned to make beans. In Maine, Yelloweye beans are the most popular, they are a little too large for my taste, I preferred pea beans (i'm not sure if that's an actual variety, or something that Mainers call them.)

I don't have a bean pot, so I make mine in a slow cooker. I will confiscate my grandfather's bean pot from my mom when she's done with it some day.

Bean hole beans are a big tradition in Maine. It's kind of a cool tradition. Dig a hole, build a fire, put in a sealed pot of beans and bury it. Lot's of church suppers do it this way.

A few years ago while home in the summer, we went to the annual Riverdriver's Supper. It's an event where they make bean hole beans, biscuits in reflector ovens and lots of goodies made by local people. Back when trees were harvested and sent down the rivers to mills, these camps would be set up to feed the men moving the logs down the river. This is kind of a cool way to connect to the past while eating your baked bean dinner by the river. Beans are a big deal in Maine too :yum:

Here are the reflector ovens baking the biscuits.

IMAG0248.jpg

I used to think the B & M stood for....oh never mind.

I have never made home made baked beans because I can't find my mother's recipe, but this one sounds just like it, Addie, so I'll try it. I just don't know who's going to be eating all those baked beans.

When I want to cook something for a long time and don't want to heat up the oven I light the right side of the grill, put the food to be cooked on the left side, and close the lid. I think that would work with the beans. I have a small oven thermometer that I can use to check the temperature.

I have never made home made baked beans because I can't find my mother's recipe, but this one sounds just like it, Addie, so I'll try it. I just don't know who's going to be eating all those baked beans.

When I want to cook something for a long time and don't want to heat up the oven I light the right side of the grill, put the food to be cooked on the left side, and close the lid. I think that would work with the beans. I have a small oven thermometer that I can use to check the temperature.

Carol, buy just a small pkg. of beans. Adjust the recipe accordingly. And buy extra TP.

Carol,

You can take that a step further and start with drained and rinsed canned beans, add the water, seasonings, salt pork, etc... bake as directed. I would estimate that a pound of dried beans would be about the same as three 15.5 ounce cans of plain small white beans.

Just don't tell the folks in Boston! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

goya-small-white-beans-51505.jpg
9k=

Carol,

You can take that a step further and start with drained and rinsed canned beans, add the water, seasonings, salt pork, etc... bake as directed. I would estimate that a pound of dried beans would be about the same as three 15.5 ounce cans of plain small white beans.

Since canned beans are already cooked, you wouldn't have to bake them for seven hours, either. One hour should do it.

I use a pound of dry beans every time and always have leftovers.

They freeze beautifully!!! I'm always psyched to pull some out of the freezer for a hot summer's night burger dinner.

Very true. But they won't taste nearly as good.

That's the dilemma...

I suggest making Addie's recipe and freezing the leftovers.

Yeah. Sorry. I don't agree with that. The process for cooking canned beans is just like cooking dried beans but on a larger scale.

From http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...rn/2009/06/how_to_buy_the_greenest_beans.html

Canned beans, on the other hand, go through several additional steps of processing. First, they have to be hydrated, which either happens with a long, room-temperature soak or a relatively brief, hot bath. (The latter requires more energy but is often preferred because it cuts down on time and labor and helps prevent bacterial growth.) Then the beans are blanched for a few minutes before being sealed in cans and then cooked and sterilized in a retort—a machine that's essentially a big, steam-powered pressure cooker.

I've been making this recipe and it's delicious - sweet, savory, a little bit of bite from the mustard and smoke from the bacon :yum: Just as good as my former stepfather's mother's recipe that was like Addie's. And it's easier on the environment.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/easy-baked-beans.html

Last edited:
Yeah. Sorry. I don't agree with that. The process for cooking canned beans is just like cooking dried beans but on a larger scale. ...

I've been making this recipe and it's delicious - sweet, savory, a little bit of bite from the mustard and smoke from the bacon :yum: Just as good as my former stepfather's mother's recipe that was like Addie's. And it's easier on the environment...http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/easy-baked-beans.html

While the canned beans may be cooked similar to slow cooked BBB, the canned beans haven't had the benefit of slow cooking with all those other BBB ingredients.

That food network recipe is doctoring canned pork and beans. It is no doubt a tasty dish, but cannot match a slow cooked BBB recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom