Buckwheat side dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When people say "semantics," they usually use it to dismiss a difference in description as a meaningless distinction. Is that what you meant?

Never! Everyone will have a different "concept" - no matter what the subject.

Say the word "Ice Cream"

One person immediately visualizes ice cream in a cone.
Another thinks ice cream sundae smothered in sauce.
A third person will visualize the act of scooping out a ball of ice cream.

I imagine most people will visualize white ice cream.

Generally but not always, when I say semantics I am merely implying that everyone has their own concept of meaning.

Never! Everyone will have a different "concept" - no matter what the subject.

Say the word "Ice Cream"

One person immediately visualizes ice cream in a cone.
Another thinks ice cream sundae smothered in sauce.
A third person will visualize the act of scooping out a ball of ice cream.

I imagine most people will visualize white ice cream.

Generally but not always, when I say semantics I am merely implying that everyone has their own concept of meaning.
Good to know [emoji111]️

If I remember correctly, pepper, as in black pepper, is a berry.

Yup, not a grain. My point was that while all grains are seeds, not all seeds are grains. One advantage of knowing something is not a grain is that only grains have gluten.

taxy, isn't that a little misleading? or oversimplifying?

My understanding is that "theoretically" the proteins in grains is gluten but that being said the people with celiac and other allergies only react to the type of gluten found in the varieties of wheat.

I was just looked up and there are supposedly 9 popular grains that are gluten free.

My understanding is that "theoretically" the proteins in grains is gluten but that being said the people with celiac and other allergies only react to the type of gluten found in the varieties of wheat.

I was just looked up and there are supposedly 9 popular grains that are gluten free.

Misleading? No. Oversimplifying? Perhaps. But, it's useful to know that those soba noodles (buckwheat noodles) won't have any gluten, if you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance without having to check which grains do. Or, more likely, if you are feeding someone with the issue. Sure, some grains are gluten free, but who remembers that barley or rye are related to wheat and have gluten? Also, it can be handy to know if you are baking bread. You will need to do something to either add gluten or substitute for it, if you are using flour that is from something that isn't a grain.

Why do you say "theoretically"? Gluten is a single, specific protein. It is also present in barley and rye.

https://celiac.org/about-celiac-disease/what-is-celiac-disease/

Because ALL grains contain a gluten that is a protein, celiac's are sensitive to only those glutens found in wheat (and barley/rye,etc.)

It isn't "theoretical" because we know the answer. Gluten is not present in all grains - only these:

"Gluten is a general name for the proteins found in wheat (wheatberries, durum, emmer, semolina, spelt, farina,*farro, graham, KAMUT[emoji768] khorasan wheat and einkorn), rye, barley and triticale – a cross between wheat and rye."
https://celiac.org/gluten-free-living/what-is-gluten/

There are many other grains that don't contain gluten:
Screenshot_20190420-101430_Chrome.jpg

Because ALL grains contain a gluten that is a protein, celiac's are sensitive to only those glutens found in wheat (and barley/rye,etc.)

I think you mean that all grain contains protein and gluten is a protein. The other proteins found in grain are what people with celiac disease can tolerate.

Back
Top Bottom