Can you freeze uncooked Pierogi Dough for later use ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I came across a very simple dough for Pierogi.
My wife is vegan so I had to find a dough that didn't have butter, sour cream, milk .. ( all which I've seen in other doughs I've tried in the past, and were good)

Basic dough recipe is:
2 Cups Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 tsp Oil
1/2 Cup Water

I would love to be able to make a few portions of dough in advance and freeze for later use. This way, when Im in the mood for pierogi, I dont have to go through the whole process.

***I know Ive made pierogi in the past and have frozen them ( prior to cooking). And they cooked up fine from the frozen state. It wasn't this recipe.***

It's very similar to jao tse dough, which I used to freeze, when I made excess. Eventually, I got it pretty close to enough to use up all the filling, and not have a huge amount of dough left (some friends and I would get together and make over 300 of them, to freeze most, so those also froze well, like the pierogi).

Last edited:
I came across a very simple dough for Pierogi.
My wife is vegan so I had to find a dough that didn't have butter, sour cream, milk .. ( all which I've seen in other doughs I've tried in the past, and were good)

Basic dough recipe is:
2 Cups Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 tsp Oil
1/2 Cup Water

I would love to be able to make a few portions of dough in advance and freeze for later use. This way, when Im in the mood for pierogi, I dont have to go through the whole process.

***I know Ive made pierogi in the past and have frozen them ( prior to cooking). And they cooked up fine from the frozen state. It wasn't this recipe.***
I have frozen the dough with no problem. My recipe is 750 g flour to 500 ml sour cream. No salt, oil, water added.

I freeze uncooked pizza dough all the time. It contains no dairy or egg and doesn't suffer from the freezing. Pasta dough too but that has egg in it. Either way, I think dough freeze well in general.

yes you can, every year I make approximately 300 perogies, more if having a good day. I cook some and freeze and some I freeze with out cooking. both come out great.

One of my fav's, potato cheese w/ mushroom,onion and spinach....

39817-albums371-picture4472.jpg
[/IMG]

The dough part is the only part of the recipe I follow, The potato filling I just fry up some onions and and mash already boiled potatoes in with the onions and a little bit of Margarine S&P ( Id use butter but my wife is vegan).
One hint would be keep the mashed potato mix thick, not runny.

I still haven't made them, but when I've had them in restaurants, they're just not pierogi to me if they're not topped with caramelized onions :yum: I know potatoes are the traditional filling, but I have a hard time with starch in starch, so I prefer a meat filling. I've also had a sweet filling with cherries and cream cheese.

I love the caramelized onion topper too. I once had company over and served them like that, and they didn't go as quickly as I thought they would. Initially ( and internally ) I was annoyed ( as I hate when I serve things and they aren't liked as much as I think they should be :) ). but then I realized more for me, so the hell with their lousy taste buds.

Back
Top Bottom