Can you substitute white wine for red?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I want to make this very simple pasta dish that is spagetti, garlic, butter, white wine, spices.

I don't have white...I have red. Any chance of replacing it with red and not having it turn into some weird tasting dish?

My vote would be no. Red and white have very different taste profiles. It may work, but I would guess it would not.

In some cases it doesn't matter, but I usually add either red or white wine (mostly red) to my tomato pasta sauce.....
Looking at your other ingredients tho I think you may want to stick with the white.

I agree with GB. I cook with wine very often and I know that type of sauce you're referring to. It's a simple sauce but adding red wine would color it to an unappetizing look. It would also overpower the other ingredients. I too use red wine with tomatoes because the tomatoes add their own color and they can also handle the stronger flavor of red wine.

I would stick to white with the recipe you're going to make. Try to buy the wine in small bottles if you can. They come in a 4 pack and can be found in most supermarkets' wine section. This way you always have the right wine on hand and you can use up the whole bottle with one recipe.

Try to buy the wine in small bottles if you can. They come in a 4 pack and can be found in most supermarkets' wine section. This way you always have the right wine on hand and you can use up the whole bottle with one recipe.

Good advice...I've done this one myself. On the other hand, using a little wine for a dish from a full size bottle can result in the cook enjoying himself a little too much while preparing a dish.

I agree with GB. I cook with wine very often and I know that type of sauce you're referring to. It's a simple sauce but adding red wine would color it to an unappetizing look. It would also overpower the other ingredients. I too use red wine with tomatoes because the tomatoes add their own color and they can also handle the stronger flavor of red wine.

I would stick to white with the recipe you're going to make. Try to buy the wine in small bottles if you can. They come in a 4 pack and can be found in most supermarkets' wine section. This way you always have the right wine on hand and you can use up the whole bottle with one recipe.

I agree entirely with DQ

TWICE I used the wrong wine in a soup and TWICE I had to throw it out. Word to the wise !!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom