Carbonara, recipe from Rome, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
welcome, ragno. great recipe, much like your english. :)

i've had locally made guanciale (made by italian americans here in the suburbs of nyc) and you're right; it is fantastic!

and yes, peccorino romano is certainly a step above regular parmesan in sharpness and flavour.

now, if i could only get my hands on freshly made buffala di mozzarella, i'd be in heaven. just 2 days later, and it's not the same thing. all of the subtle sweetness is gone.

can i ask you for your recipe for fresh pastas? for a basic sugo di pomodoro and the like?

ti ringrazio anticipatamente.
:chef:

Welcome ragno nero cuocet! What does that mean, by the way. Ragno nero could mean a "black widow" spider which is very common in my area, and coucet -- cook?
This is a splendid recipe. Here in the US, we take excellent regional recipes like yours and use substitutes until they are unrecognizable. Pork jowl -- guancial -- is available on the internet and at any food specialty store in the US. My BGD returns to my small Southwestern town next month, and we shall take a 1/2 hr drive and buy some.
In case you didn't grasp the concept, Charlie D is asking you how to prepare your pork dish without pork. A strict vegetarian will not be able to eat the eggs either! Don't feel bad, though; we recently had a discussion on how to make fish sauce without fermented fish!
I have copied off your recipe and stuck it in an Italian cookbook. Thanks again.
Cheers

@CraigC
I know "pennette alla vodka" dish, it's very easy to make! I'll post the receipe ASAP if you want!
You're welcome!

@buckytom
Also in Italy, not all the market sell a good "mozzarella di bufala": commercial product are completely different from home made ones.
The real taste of this kind of mozzarella have to be felt at Naples: there you will find the real one!
But near Rome, in the castles zone, there are also a lot of little sellers that produces nice mozzarellas, using fantastic raw materials...

I'll post ASAP both the recpies. Please give me just a couple of hours!

PS: fresh pastas, you mean something like this?

images

@PhilinYuma

My original nick was "ragno nero docet".

"Ragno nero" is the italian part of the nick, and it means "black spider", in honor to Lev Yashin, a legendary russian goalkeeper.
"Docet" is a latin word, it means "teach".

In this case, I have modified the last word. "Cuocet" is simply a funny Latin neologism: "Cuoce", in Italian, means "Cook"...

"We recently had a discussion on how to make fish sauce without fermented fish!"

!!!!!!!

"I have copied off your recipe and stuck it in an Italian cookbook."

I'm really honored.

Football is one of my passion, as cooking...

I'm an amateur goalkeeper, I'm 30 yo, and so I've never seen Lev playing football.

But I've read a lot about him, when I was 13, and he became my idol!

I'm a scouser and a Liverpool FC fan, are you a Lazio fan?

If you want to be my frend (and I want to be your friend!) never say that I'm a Lazio fan....

There's only a soccer team in Rome: its name is "AS ROMA".

And there's only a man in Rome: his name is FRANCESCO TOTTI...

Never forget...

No meat, none of any kind.

You could use Bacos brand bacon bits, as they are made from flavored TVP (Textured Vegetable Protien, usually soy). That would give you a similar flavor, but you would loose the richness of the pork fat flavor. I think I'd also add some butter to add that rich flavor.

It wouldn't be authentic, but would taste pretty good.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You could use Bacos brand bacon bits, as they are made from flavored TVP (Textured Vegetable Protien, usually soy). That would give you a similar flavor, but you would loose the richness of the pork fat flavor. I think I'd also add some butter to add that rich flavor.

It wouldn't be authentic, but would taste pretty good.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Wouldn't it also have strange pink streaks from the food colouring in the baco bits? :ermm:

I was 1 yo, but I've seen this match a lot of times in my life.

I should admit that English teams in the last years of 70's and the first ones of 80's was unbeatable (Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Aston Villa), and that Liverpool was one of the stronger team in the world in 1983.

A great day to remember, and a fantastic match.

You'll never walk alone, my friend!

Thank you, I was very impressed with your rugby team(my sport) the Irish are never easy to beat.

I was @ the stadium with my girlfriend: she is Italian but she is also an Irish fan...

IMG_20130316_163059.jpg

IMG_20130316_172303.jpg

IMG_20130316_172803.jpg

IMG_20130316_172807.jpg

IMG_20130316_183638.jpg

IMG_20130316_190440.jpg

For the first time in 13 "Six Nations" we beat Irland! Great match, great agonism, great victory!

And a special mention to Lo Cicero, our best player: the story of Italian rugby.

Honour and respect for him.

And a special mention to Lo Cicero, our best player: the story of Italian rugby.

Honour and respect for him.

Grandissimo Barone! Very happy to find an Italian rugby fan like me, in this forum :)

To get back on topic, Ragno, do you have some special recipe to make a heavenly Amatriciana?

Grazie mille, e sempre forza Milan :LOL:

My father is a great Milan fan... Every match against AC Milan is a terrible event for my mother...

I have the perfect receipe to make a super Amatriciana!

I'll post it as soon as possible!

TY for the answer!

Grandissimo Barone! Very happy to find an Italian rugby fan like me, in this forum :)

To get back on topic, Ragno, do you have some special recipe to make a heavenly Amatriciana?

Grazie mille, e sempre forza Milan :LOL:
Luca mate for me the beauty of being a rugby fan is that you like Rugby and not a team.That is why the fans are not segregated and you can drink in the stadium without a hint of a problem.:)

You find the perfect way to describe the difference between rugby and other sports.

We are rugby fans, not Italy, or Ireland, or England fans...

Back
Top Bottom