Chickpeas and Pasta for one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musiclvr56

Assistant Cook
Canned chickpeas, canned diced or crushed tomatoes and pasta in olive oil. Am embarrassed to ask this but I can't figure out the right proportions for one person. When I have made it I had too much tomatoes for the amount of chickpeas I used and visa versa, but it was still tasty-also used one serving of quinoa

That seems like a question that only you can answer.

When I make a small pot of pink pasta e fagioli I use one can of beans with the liquid, minced garlic, onion, a chopped fresh plum tomato or a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste, hot pepper flakes, a packet of chicken bouillon, 1/2 cup of small soup macaroni, and a 1/2 to 1 can of water.

That makes 2-3 meals for me.

These days, I usually swap the pasta for 2 cups of chopped fresh or frozen greens and make beans 'n' greens.

Good luck.

Totally agree with Aunt Bea. It depends on how you want to mix the ingredients; in other words, do you want the dish to be more tomato-ey, or do you want the chickpeas to dominate?
I also depends on your appetite, I suppose.
What wouldI do in this case?
I might use half a tin of chickpeas, fry up some garlic, add the whole tin of tomatoes and some fresh basil, or oregano. I´d probably add a couple of chile peppers too - but that´s because I like them!

It kind of seems hard to make only 1 serving. Unless that serving is on the large side. That said, I found a recipe that sounds very interesting. It is a one pan pasta with chickpeas item. The recipe calls for some other things and claims to be 4 servings. Your mileage may vary? Take a look at this link:

https://melissatraub.com/one-pan-pasta-with-chickpeas-and-tomatoes/

If you don't have or want the asparagus, that's okay, leave it out. Same with other stuff...except the liquid to pasta ratio.

I should have mentioned that the reason I was looking for measurements is because I cook the pasta with the beans and canned tomatoes so I need enough liquid.

This is a nice quick, healthy, inexpensive way to enjoy a can of beans.

Rachel Wharton’s recipe for Bodega Beans: Sauté onion and garlic, add a can of white beans with the liquid (or any other kind), drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and sprinkle with cheese if you like.

I usually add a chopped carrot and chopped celery if I have it on hand. Rummage around in the refrigerator and use what you have.

If the vegetables are cut small they only need to simmer for about 15 minutes.

music, I should think you'd have to add way too much liquid in order for the pasta to cook properly.

Why don't you cook the pasta first, drain, add a tiny bit of oil or butter (just to keep it from sticking to itself), set aside (in your serving bowl).

In the same pot, do your beans and tomatoes, when ready, simply add your pasta back in to reheat.

You can always save a bit of your water from cooking the pasta if you feel you will need more. Just drain you pasta over a measure cup in your sink.

Other than your serving bowl and measure cup - it's a one pot, one burner meal!

music, I should think you'd have to add way too much liquid in order for the pasta to cook properly.
Why don't you cook the pasta first, drain, add a tiny bit of oil or butter (just to keep it from sticking to itself), set aside (in your serving bowl).

First time I made pasta e fagioli ( or pasta with chickpeas - slightly different) I cooked the sauce,added the pasta uncooked, added more water to the whole caboose and cooked it through. I´ve got no idea how much water I added, but I watched the dish like a hawk and kept adding hot water every time it looked as if it was drying out, as if it were a risotto.
Second time, I pre-cooked the pasta. Like al dente, but very al dente, then added it to the sauce/beans and cooked until done.
I think the second better option, because unless you´re going to stand over the pot and take exact timings EVERY time you make the dish ( so you can say, it´s 1 cup, or 1 cup and a half, or 1 cup and threequarters:() it´s not going to be right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom