Company Picnic Bean Salad Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Company Picnic Bean Salad

2 (16-oz) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (15-oz) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas) rinsed and drained
2 (14.5-oz) cans diced tomatoes with Jalapeno's, drained
1 1/2 c. frozen peas
1 1/2 c. frozen corn
1 c. chopped sweet onion
2/3 c. chopped red pepper
2/3 c. chopped yellow pepper
2/3 c. red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
1/2 c.extra-virgin olive oil
1 TBL balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 TBL dried red pepper flakes
In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients.

In a separate, small bowl, combine the last 8 ingredients, whisking until well blended. Pour over bean mixture, tossing gently to coat.
Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours before serving.

the two vinegars (balsamic, espercially ) deal with any sweetness the peas bring to the dish............if it's there you don't get a lot of it...........
I might be willing to try it with the a kielbasa (small dice), but then your seasoning balance will be totally different; thus, a different dish- not necessarily a bad thing, but different........
I'm always reminded in these situations of a girl who was "crazy" about me in the ninth grade.........but she said she could love me even more if I change from the "waterfall, duck-backed" hair style to a crew cut:LOL:

the peas and corn take it to another level- without these ingredients, it's just another bean salad, in taste texture and color- trust me!
But, what the heck- play with it, and let us know..................but I have a rule about recipes- try the recipe FIRST- then improvise, rhapsodise, make it your own!

img_449367_0_88e876b22794e5923149895de55199e4.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom