Couche Couche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
2 cups yellow corn meal...I use stone-ground
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 tbl sugar
1 1/2 cups liquid...I use 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup water

Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet

Mix all of the dry ingredients...stir in the milk and water....Pour this into the hot skillet...let is set for just min. or two to form a crust..Lower heat and start stirring (almost constantly) mashing any lumps that appear until it is a nice light brown color....

Serve as you would oatmeal or any other hot cereal...Milk & sugar etc.
I especially like Steen's Cane syrup with this...

I forgot...I use a hamburger flipper to stir/scrape this

Wow, Uncle Bob, is this one of Charo's recipes? We all know she's the original "couche, couche" girl.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, this sounds good for a really cold morning. It's almost like cornmeal mush I ate as a child. The baking powder and oil are the additions I don't put in my mush. I use sugar, but sprinkle it on when I serve it. I'll have to try the couche couche.

Ah yes.. Charo...what a trip!!! :LOL:

Actually it is pronounced Cush Cush ;) ...and is very simular to corn meal mush recipes that I have seen...We use a tad of baking powder for a little fluffyness since the meal we use would qualify as plain meal. The oil portion might be a little heavy...I usually just wing this..just a good heavy coat is what you are looking for...And old timers used all water...no milk. So one can experiment with the ratio of milk/water to suit their taste.

Enjoy....

Back
Top Bottom