"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2022, 12:12 AM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Doctor Those Canned Beans

I used to love VanCamp's pork and beans. With that little piece of pork in the can. They quit putting it in much to my dismay. Now, I'm fond of Bush's Original recipe, and bonus, it has a little pice of pork in it. Even so, I enjoy a little molasses added, about a tbs. prr 16 oz. can of beans.

How do you doctor your canned beans?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #2
Master Chef

Bush's canned beans here as well. I fry some bacon. When almost crispy I add chopped onion and a little chopped red bell. Bring to a simmer then turn off and allow to sit until dinner time.

Canned black beans are very good as well. I get them at Costco. Very little salt and organic which does not matter to me at all.
I saute/fry some meat. Bacon or salt pork or panchetta. Like above I add chopped onion but with bell pepper and garlic. Saute for a few minutes then dump in the can of beans. Simmer for about 5 minutes turn off heat.
Served over rice. White or yellow. Very good.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #3
Head Chef

Like you, I use Bush's Original beans. I add a bit of chopped onion, red or green bell pepper, brown sugar, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, mix is all up, place in oven proof dish, top with chopped bacon and then bake uncovered in a 325F oven for about 90 minutes. It is a hit at pot luck's too.
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I use B&M baked beans. I'm generally happy with the original recipe. Sometimes I go for the bacon and onion version. If I add anything, it's usually BBQ sauce to go with something smoked.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Always go with Heinz because they are vegetarian. When Im in the mood Ill add a little sauerkraut, a squirt of mustard and slice up some hot dogs ( vegetarian) and mix. Nice quick throw together lunch for me.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I like Trisha Yearwood's baked beans recipe. It calls for plain pork and beans, with bacon, onion, brown sugar, molasses and yellow mustard. I mostly make it when we make smoked pork shoulder. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-beans-2302558
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #7
Certified/Certifiable

I too love B&M Baked beans, especially from the brown jar, wich I repurpose as candle holders. They were my Dad's favorite. That's the flavor I'm going for when I doctor the Bush's original with molases. B&M in the jar is harder to find around here. That's the reason I use the Bush's.

Andy, as always, you & I think alot alike. We have very somilar taste prefferences, except for our tolerance for pepper heat levels.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beans, other