Dried pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of these TV chefs need to inform their viewers of these facts. I have yet to hear any one explain the differences in flours to their followers. I only use all purpose flour with one quarter of the flour being semolina. No eggs needed.
They also have to get their facts straight, before trying to inform us. FI, egg pasta and soft wheat flour do not need to go together, and, as I noted before, I tried it (00 flour is a low gluten flour) in egg pasta, and the flavor was not as good, IMO, as that made with AP flour - simply too much starch. And egg pasta can even be made with bread, or hard wheat flour, but you need to use less, otherwise, it will be very difficult to roll. And semolina is not really flour - it is a fine meal, usually (but not necessarily) from durum wheat, with the bran and germ removed; when ground finer, it is durum flour. While others may like it, I was not crazy about the coarser texture I got in pasta, when using 1/4 or 1/3 semolina. I preferred grinding it finer, into flour. But why not just start with flour?

And I wonder how many have actually tried, side by side, each of the different flours, one made with eggs, one with water?

They also have to get their facts straight, before trying to inform us. FI, egg pasta and soft wheat flour do not need to go together, and, as I noted before, I tried it (00 flour is a low gluten flour) in egg pasta, and the flavor was not as good, IMO, as that made with AP flour - simply too much starch. And egg pasta can even be made with bread, or hard wheat flour, but you need to use less, otherwise, it will be very difficult to roll. And semolina is not really flour - it is a fine meal, usually (but not necessarily) from durum wheat, with the bran and germ removed; when ground finer, it is durum flour. While others may like it, I was not crazy about the coarser texture I got in pasta, when using 1/4 or 1/3 semolina. I preferred grinding it finer, into flour. But why not just start with flour?

And I wonder how many have actually tried, side by side, each of the different flours, one made with eggs, one with water?

I don't always look to TV chefs for instructions on technique. There are other good sources, like Serious Eats.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/best-easy-all-purpose-fresh-pasta-dough-recipe-instructions.html

Keep in mind that different brands of flour contain different amounts of protein. From what I've read, King Arthur AP flour has a protein content approaching that of other brands of bread flour.

I have a Philips automatic pasta machine, so making fresh pasta is about as challenging as making a pot of coffee in an automatic coffee pot. I haven't done much experimenting, but I use 80% KA AP four and 20% semolina, water only, and really like the pasta. I tried egg pasta, but underneath the rest of the ingredients in the sauce, I couldn't tell the difference, so I just use water. I would have to try egg vs. water pasta side by side to tell the difference.

I agree - with most sauces, egg pasta is a waste. I only make fresh egg pasta for milder sauces, like butter or cream sauces, where the egg pasta will shine through. One of my favorite starts to an Italian dinner is simply a melted stick of butter with a couple sprigs of rosemary, and a few cloves of crushed garlic, simmered briefly, while getting the pasta ready. This is strained into the square noodles, and topped with some reggiano. This would still be good with dried pasta, or fresh, with just water, but the egg noodles shine through in these types of dishes.

Keep in mind that different brands of flour contain different amounts of protein. From what I've read, King Arthur AP flour has a protein content approaching that of other brands of bread flour.

I have a Philips automatic pasta machine, so making fresh pasta is about as challenging as making a pot of coffee in an automatic coffee pot. I haven't done much experimenting, but I use 80% KA AP four and 20% semolina, water only, and really like the pasta. I tried egg pasta, but underneath the rest of the ingredients in the sauce, I couldn't tell the difference, so I just use water. I would have to try egg vs. water pasta side by side to tell the difference.

I have a mini processor. I use it to cut up celery, onions, etc. to very fine. I also use it to give the semolina a spin or two. It is very course and creates a course pasta when you use it just as is out of the package. I do not like egg pastas. Unless I am going to be using it right away, I find the eggs change the color of the pasta to a shade I would never eat.

If I make spinach pasta, it really needs the semolina. I don't really think the pasta has to be thick when I add spinach or some other food to it. I like to have it really thin. Thin enough so that you can see the outline on your hand on the other side. Adding the semolina, strengthens the very thin pasta.

I have a mini processor. I use it to cut up celery, onions, etc. to very fine. I also use it to give the semolina a spin or two. It is very course and creates a course pasta when you use it just as is out of the package. I do not like egg pastas. Unless I am going to be using it right away, I find the eggs change the color of the pasta to a shade I would never eat.

If I make spinach pasta, it really needs the semolina. I don't really think the pasta has to be thick when I add spinach or some other food to it. I like to have it really thin. Thin enough so that you can see the outline on your hand on the other side. Adding the semolina, strengthens the very thin pasta.
I had squid ink pappardelle with seared scallops at an Italian restaurant once. It was delicious and really beautiful. FB_IMG_1548083368822.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom