Egg-less Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I have always made my pasta with eggs. My go to recipe is:

200g flour (75% AP, 25% semolina)
124g of eggs, EVOO, and water
3g kosher salt

I'll sometimes add a bit more flour and a veggie puree/water mix.

But alas, I have no eggs. For those of you that make pasta without eggs, what is your favorite recipe?

I just looked at several eggless pasta recipes online. The ratio of water to flour is all over the place. Some have oil in them and others are just salt, water and flour. Good luck.

Yeah... that was my experience as well, which is why I brought it up with you guys. Hopefully, someone has some experience with it.

I haven't made homemade pasta, but there's a YouTube channel called "Pasta Grannies" that shows older women from Italy making mostly eggless pasta,; the idea is to document different shapes from different regions. If you watch a few of them (they're usually less than five minutes long), you will probably get an idea of how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/pastagrannies

I make eggless pasta most of the time. I noticed that a pasta brand that we really like only listed flour and water in the ingredients. So, I gave it a shot. I used wholegrain bread flour. I put about 100 grams of flour per serving in a mixing bowl. Then I stir in room temperature water, a little at a time, until it gets to a consistency that seems right for making pasta. Then I knead it a little and finish kneading it with the pasta rollers set to the thickest setting. Once the dough feels like it is kneaded properly, I start fiddling with the thickness dial and roll out my pasta. It worked fine from the first try.

Although I haven't used it in a pasta machine or made traditional pasta shapes with it, My wife is vegan and I follow a recipe to Make the dough for pierogi . With the extra pieces I boiled them in water and they made great pasta dumplings. Again, not sure if it will hold up in thinner pasta shapes and sizes, but did well for pierogi, dumplings and likely would be just fine for ravioli , lasagna sheets.

Pierogi Dough
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup water + more until a smooth dough forms

I'm getting the roller and cutter attachments for my kitchen aid, for pasta. It's an off brand a gal friend of mine recommended, so I'll be trying it out for EVERYTHING.

I'll make a whole wheat oil free egg free pasta (no oil or egg on most ww pastas).
(everything I will make will be oil free dairy free egg free)

I want to try some bean pastas and rice pasta too. Have you seen the prices of those lately?

I have some besan (chick pea flour), and some rice flour, tapioca, xanthan gum.

Here's a gluten free pasta recipe I will be trying. (some of my friends eat gluten free and I'd like to see how it goes.) https://glutenfreebaking.com/how-to-make-fresh-gluten-free-pasta/

The roller comes tomorrow and I want to make perogies and ravioli. I want to use the roller enough to know whether to keep it or send it back within 30 days, so I better give it a good try. (and all that in the middle of canning season....where will I find the time?)

The appliance I'm using is the TZCYOTO Pasta Maker Attachment 3 in 1 Set for KitchenAid Stand Mixers, Included Pasta Roller, Spaghetti &Fettuccine Cutter Pasta Machine Attachment Accessories and Cleaning Brush for KitchenAid

The dough is WW flour and WW pastry flour, 2:1.

Adding liquid in the ratio of flour/water at 2:less than 1.

That would be 3 cups flour to less than 1.5 cups liquid.

I made plain dough.

I made some dough with dehydrated lettuce, rehydrated.

I made some dough with a mild homemade hot sauce (mostly tomatoey).
Practicing with 3 sets of doughs, all three of the parts of the appliance work great.

The spaghetti cutter needs really dry dough, which I added by running it through the roller numerous times with reflouring both sides of the dough until the edges went from smooth to jagged.

The fettichini cutter doesn't need really dry dough.
The settings on the roller are great 1-8.

There's a bunch more things I want to try to make and I have yet to cook up my lasagna or spaghetti noodles so far.

It's less than half the price of a KA set for the attachments. I'm pretty happy with it. More adventures ahead.

Back
Top Bottom