Eliminating Gas from Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErgoErgun

Assistant Cook
What methods do you use to eliminate gas from Beans BESIDES Beano?

Right now I'm washing in hot water, then soaking for 12 hours, then cooking on medium heat for 8 hours. Is that enough? Are there other methods? Should they be washed more? Thank you.

There was a recent thread about this. It seems like there is no cure outside of eating them often and just getting used to their music. Beano seems to be the only answer. This is something they should look at on Mythbusters.

JDP

It is really not the technique of cooking that gives beans and corn the gas. The source of gas comes from how much air is consumed while chewing. Some people also complain about similar effects when they eat green peas...

A nice bean soup with tomatoes, meat, etc. causes less discomfort.

StirBlue said:
It is really not the technique of cooking that gives beans and corn the gas. The source of gas comes from how much air is consumed while chewing. Some people also complain about similar effects when they eat green peas...

A nice bean soup with tomatoes, meat, etc. causes less discomfort.

Not true.

There is fiber in the beans that cannot be broken down by the enzymes in your intestines. This results in incomplete digestion that generates that foul smelling gas. Beano adds the necessary enzymes needed to completely digest the beans and therefore prevent your system's generating the gas.

Andy M. said:
Not true.

There is fiber in the beans that cannot be broken down by the enzymes in your intestines. This results in incomplete digestion that generates that foul smelling gas. Beano adds the necessary enzymes needed to completely digest the beans and therefore prevent your system's generating the gas.

It is quite curious that people do not complain about these side effects after consuming a burrito or any other refried bean dish.

It is quite curious that people do not complain about these side effects after consuming a burrito or any other refried bean dish.__________________
Question of amount? Maybe they do "complain" and just don't say it here.
I will say I have never heard anyone complain of gas from peas because they chewed and swallowed air! ;o)

Beans just cause gas. Not a matter of cooking method, etc. as Andy has already said. You can build up a tolerance to it--I suspect many vegans and vegetarians do not have the problem my DH and I have.
But beans and bean recipes is jes' plain ole good and I have to have them from time to time.
Getting ready to do some black beans with a recently liberated ham bone. And maybe my minestrone with tomatoes, beef, and beans--yum yum. It's turning cold down south again.
Speaking of ham hocks, are folks aware that Honey Baked Ham sells their ham hocks for not much and apparently they have a mountain of meat left on them--probably enough for a casserole, plus the bone for soup.

Last edited:
I will not repeat the couragous experiment I undertook just recently on this subject. If this is a cunning ploy to get me to do so you are in for disappointment, rofl.

Thanks

Candocook, thank you for informing us of the ham hocks. Seems the stores don't want to encourage the consumers to experiment with preparations at home like making soup or beans.

Yesterday made some lentil soup and had to look high and very low for the ham bone. Finally found at a small store that must have had them sitting for fairly long time. They were starting to smell. Used them as soon as I could. Had to buy 'extra' meat for the soup although I think the lentils alone should have been enough. This is one soup they can't get enough of.

A pinch of Baking Soda

Add a pinch, more or less depending on how many you are cooking, of baking soda (sodium bicorbonate). Reduce your salt as baking soda contains lots of sodium.
:rolleyes:
Tony

Beano, and there'll BE NO gas.

Beano_Food_Enzyme_Dietary_Supplement_Tablets-resized200.jpg

:) Throw out the the soak water after soaking, rinse beans well and cook with fresh water this will reduce a good amount of the enzyme that cause gas as alot of it will come out in the soak water.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Throw out the the soak water after soaking, rinse beans well and cook with fresh water this will reduce a good amount of the enzyme that cause gas as alot of it will come out in the soak water.

I agree. I think this is the way to go.

My mom combined what a couple of you said and it seemed to work (not completely, but some). She brought the beans to a boil with baking soda in the water. Then she drained and rinsed them and let them soak. I haven't tried it because I forget when the time comes. Nothing works perfectly. As someone else said, eating them more regularly helps lessen the gas. I can't remember the show I was watching, but the show's hostess said to eat them 3 or 4 times a week.

As for burritos not causing problems, my husband's and my unintentional "gas wars" :sick: some nights are proof that refried beans are just as guilty!

:) Barbara

StirBlue said:
It is quite curious that people do not complain about these side effects after consuming a burrito or any other refried bean dish.

hahahahaa, ever ride in a car with someone who's eaten that?? It's the passengers that are complaining!:sick::LOL:

StirBlue said:
The source of gas comes from how much air is consumed while chewing.
If this were true then you would be tooting just much from eating just about anything that requires chewing. You don't chew beans any differently than you do a sandwich or pizza or an apple etc.

I do as said before - toss the soaking water and use fresh water to cook the beans. Someone told me a long time ago to eat carrot sticks when having beans and that seems to work for us. I don't know what the magic is. Perhaps something is carrots help to break down the enzymes?(just a thought).

My grandma always put a little baking soda in the beans. She said it "took the snappers out". I've heard that adding an aspirin will do the same thing.
The Mexican herb epazote is supposed to do the job, also.

Back
Top Bottom