Everyone loves Ramen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I might not like this...........but I have a reason, my mom made this tuna casserole and it always grossed me out.........so maybe people that like ramen will like it.

2-3 cups chow mein noodles (the floury fried ones, which I like dry)
some mushroom soup out of a can
a few veggies like celery and onion
tuna
Mix and bake until hot. The noodles get soft. (that's the part I can't do)

I'm interested in trying them, but I'm a calorie freak. All the ones over here seem quite high in calories. Am I looking at the right stuff? Or am I just being a calorie snob?

kezlehan said:
I'm interested in trying them, but I'm a calorie freak. All the ones over here seem quite high in calories. Am I looking at the right stuff? Or am I just being a calorie snob?

Well, your not a snob lol. Guess I dont worry too much about caloric intake myself. As for the ramen naysayers who have never even tried them, to each their own. Personally, I never tried quail, and no desire to, so I can understand.

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this, but this topic caught my eye and there is a website called Ramenbox.com that I swear by for my ramen needs. It sure beats that stuff at the grocery store.

Indomie BBQ chicken is the crack of the ramen world.

I've never had it at 2:00am in college.:rolleyes: I lived on ramen and rice in college and for a few yrs after.

I like nuke'n it in a bowl of water so it is still firm(stays in shape), then drain and add cheap chef boyardee pizza sauce....drenched.

I don't like the packets at all, kids like it as a soup but I only add maybe 1/2 the packet due to the salt.

Good stuff, ramen is. Makes you really appreciate homemade pasta!:LOL:

Good stuff, ramen is. Makes you really appreciate homemade pasta!:LOL:
BigAL, you made me miss ramen restaurants! SoCal, in my case. Where the house broth takes eight hours to make, and the fresh noodles are spun from dough on site. I live in one of the largest cities in the US, but I can count the number of restaurants that have ramen on their menu with two hands, and they all taste mediocre.

But, no regrets on Thanksgiving Day, only gratitude for our blessings.

(I just now realized the play on words with this thread title. ;) It's actually pronounced "ah-men.")

I've never had it at 2:00am in college.:rolleyes: I lived on ramen and rice in college and for a few yrs after.
:LOL:
I lived on Ramen during grad school--3 packages/$1, on special, 5/$1. I would add frozen peas. Hence, I no longer eat Ramen nor Kraft Dinner. I consumed my lifelong quota before I reached the age of 30. Now I don't have to eat either (nor do I eat spaghetti with meat sauce...that was every Monday night while growing up--I'm old enough to say "no" to spaghetti). Yes--Ramen were quick, one pot, 3 minutes if nothing added, but really! There are better things available.

Last edited:
My husband always laughs at the "Ramen every night budget" insurance commercial, because he knows when I was young, that was me. Ramen noodles, chicken livers (which I shared with my cat, 99 cents a tub) and cabbage (seems to me I could get a head for about a quarter)(this would have been during the 70s-80s in DC). Every month or so I'd blow the big bucks for a chicken, which was stewed in the stock pot all day while I worked overtime at the Pentagon to pay some doctor bills. Of course it was eaten with ... you got it. Ramen noodles and cabbage.

My husband likes the chicken ramen just the way it is...prepared the way the package says. He likes it with a grilled cheese Sammy!

I always cook the noodles in the MW for 3 minutes and then let them sit for an hour or so. They absorb a lot of water/broth. The noodles get all huge and (to me) much more appealing.

Does anyone else let them absorb the water first, before eating them?

Timothy said:
I always cook the noodles in the MW for 3 minutes and then let them sit for an hour or so. They absorb a lot of water/broth. The noodles get all huge and (to me) much more appealing.

No. I did once by accident. I didn't like them as well, but then again I don't like soggy crackers in my soup either.

I agree with those who say they are an inexpensive comfort food. I keep them on hand, but now that budget isn't my absolute primary concern, we eat them as a comfort food when we have a cold. Very little nutrition for the calories. But .... still like a cup of noodles when the world seems gray.

I agree with those who say they are an inexpensive comfort food. I keep them on hand, but now that budget isn't my absolute primary concern, we eat them as a comfort food when we have a cold. Very little nutrition for the calories. But .... still like a cup of noodles when the world seems gray.

It's the perfect food when you are sick, easily digestible calories, fluids with the salt you need for your electrolytes. I only eat it now when I am sick and not able to either keep anything down or just no appetite. Normal eating, thought, just too much sodium for my blood pressure. When you are sick, all bets are off.

Still not stocking up on 'em. I eat Lipton Chicken Noodle soup if I get a cold and don't have any homemade stock in the freezer. I think I've had the same box now for five years. I will add lemon and egg to make it into instant Greek lemon soup.

I do the exact oppposite actually. I'll boil them for only 2 mintues instead of 3 so they still have some bite.

texherp said:
I do the exact oppposite actually. I'll boil them for only 2 mintues instead of 3 so they still have some bite.

That's what I'm talking about!! Yum!

I buy a can of Le Seur Petite Peas. Drain and save the liquor. Place the liquor of the peas in pan. Add additional water. Place noodles, seasoning packet and a nice glob of butter in pan. Simmer until noodles are soft and plump. Add peas. Toss and mix well. (These are the only canned veggie I buy.) Very little liquid left. One packet is enough for me. When I was raising my granddaughter, I had to use two packages. Try as she might, and no matter how many times I have told her how I make them, she claims that they don't taste the same as when I make them. She is missing one ingredient. Grammies love. So when she has a strong hankering for Ramen Noodles, she comes to visit me. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom