Explain "rice" to me please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the link to the different rices. Some of them look very interesting! I have to admit that it worries me when it says, "Call for price!" :D

:)Barbara

One quick thing I wanted to add. I normally buy my basmati rice from SAMs or COSTCO. My preferred brand is Royal and it's a large bag (15 lbs) but it lasts for a long time.

In case anyone did not know, basmati rice is like wine, the older the better. The flavor intensifies as it ages and makes it nuttier.

So you can buy the bag (cheaper than buying small boxes) and store it in your pantry in a large container.

I like brown rice but I love the aroma of basmati too much to use anything else except aroborio for risotto.

We have several varieties of rice in the house: "regular" long-grain white rice and brown rice for most western dishes, Calrose (medium-grain white rice for Asian dishes), white Basmati and brown Basmati for Indian and similar foods, Jasmin (long-grain, white, also for Asian cuisine), Arborio and sometimes Carnaroli for risotto, plus some others on occasion. The one thing that never comes into this household is Minute Rice, which is to the real thing as Wonder Bread is to homemade sourdough. If you can't tell the difference, either the rice has been prepared incorrectly or you should find another hobby.

I agree on the Minute Rice. If you want a true "instant" rice, just dehydrate cooked rice.

This is what camper's do. All it takes is rehydration in hot water for a few minutes. No boiling.

Also a great use for all that leftover rice from dinner......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom